• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Shiny Chaining FAIL

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
  • I spent half of my Sunday trying to catch a shiny Xatu. Well while in the tedious process of wiping the Xatu population off the face of the earth, (or so it feels) I finally stumbled upon a shiny Lv 40 Xatu! I sent out my Lv 45 Larvesta. So I used flamethrower and it did about 1/3 of Xatu's total health. So I used flamethrower again and, instead of draining Xatu's energy down to 2/3, it was a critical hit (of course). I have spent hours trying to get one and the only way to do it now was to start all over again. I almost cried. Has anyone had a similar occurance?

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • OMG, how many times that I raged because of things like that! Like, you spent to many time trying to find a shiny, and when your pokémon attack him to get the other pokémo low health, he gets a crit from nowhere! That's terrible! I've already had the same occurance, don't remember when, and what was the shiny pokémon, I just remember that I raged so much that I turned off my 3ds instantly! I was just so sad and frustrated!
    That also happens to me when I want to catch a normal pokémon, it's a bit frustrating but not as much as if I lost a shiny -.-

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • OMG, how many times that I raged because of things like that! Like, you spent to many time trying to find a shiny, and when your pokémon attack him to get the other pokémo low health, he gets a crit from nowhere! That's terrible! I've already had the same occurance, don't remember when, and what was the shiny pokémon, I just remember that I raged so much that I turned off my 3ds instantly! I was just so sad and frustrated!
    That also happens to me when I want to catch a normal pokémon, it's a bit frustrating but not as much as if I lost a shiny -.-

And that is why I am trying to get the Shiny Charm lol

Cloudy J

Cloud Queen
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 16, 2018
    I don't lower the health of shinies, I just throw balls until it catches.
    Although one time I was chain fishing and I failed to catch a shiny Basculin then it used Final Gambit and fainted. Luckily I had already caught one earlier that day so I wasn't worried.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Argh, so frustrating! I make sure when I'm shiny hunting that I have a False Swiper on my team. That way you know you won't knock it out.

It's so tense when you run into a shiny that knows take down or memento or something though. Especially if you've got it down to the red and it uses take down and KO's itself... If I find a shiny with those moves I put it to sleep and lob balls XD

Charizard Gr

Firekeeper
    Years
  • I have obtained about 20 shinies that way and this has not occured to me fortunately. What I find really annoying though is the fact that some Pokemon just do not seem to want to appear in their shiny form! I've been chaining for a Skorupi for like 7 hours without breaking my chain and all I got was the purple version of this Pokemon! It really bothers me more not being able to get a shiny (which I mostly do after 150-200 encounters) than getting it and killing it.

Oh and one more thing. I've been chaining for Zorua on route 102 at the place where a little boy is standing and it just walked over the Pokemon and he broke my chain. This is where I almost threw my 3DS out of the window.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I know the feeling bro. I think we all do at some point, lol.

Actually I got mad just of remembering my previous chaining fail.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • The first Shiny I ever encountered naturally was a Pelipper in Alpha Sapphire. I wasn't trying to, but they're so damn common I unintentionally chained for it, apparently. I freaked out and used the exact same move I used on every other Pelipper I encountered, which had done a little over half HP damage on each one. It OHKO'd the Shiny.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • Argh, so frustrating! I make sure when I'm shiny hunting that I have a False Swiper on my team. That way you know you won't knock it out.

It's so tense when you run into a shiny that knows take down or memento or something though. Especially if you've got it down to the red and it uses take down and KO's itself... If I find a shiny with those moves I put it to sleep and lob balls XD

That's actually a great idea! Thanks!

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • I have obtained about 20 shinies that way and this has not occured to me fortunately. What I find really annoying though is the fact that some Pokemon just do not seem to want to appear in their shiny form! I've been chaining for a Skorupi for like 7 hours without breaking my chain and all I got was the purple version of this Pokemon! It really bothers me more not being able to get a shiny (which I mostly do after 150-200 encounters) than getting it and killing it.

Oh and one more thing. I've been chaining for Zorua on route 102 at the place where a little boy is standing and it just walked over the Pokemon and he broke my chain. This is where I almost threw my 3DS out of the window.

That's terrible!!!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • By some stroke of luck, I have never knocked out a shiny. I usually just throw balls at it and hope and pray I catch it, haha. I will usually paralyze them or put them to sleep and MAYBE use the weakest attack on my team, depending on the situation, but yeah. I'm very careful with those suckers.

Years
  • I never successfully chained for a shiny but from what I hear, DexNav shiny hunting is quite the challenge. I think bad luck always haunts me but if I ever run into any shinies I always do my best to catch them, because accidentally killing one would just suck.

Katunei999

Katunei
    Years
  • I know the feeling. I just spent two days unsuccessfully chaining for that silver Litleo...I think we've all been there. But I just found a shiny female Combee, so I don't mind so much right now :) Good luck to you with that Xatu, I'm sure you'll get there.

Years
  • I found a male shiny Pyroar once, and without thinking I False Swiped it. Well, it knew Take Down. And what's the move it immediately went for? Take Down. Poor Mufasa...
    Since then I make a point of never, ever attacking a shiny. If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. So I just know if I attack it'll be a crit or something... Better to Thunder Wave and bury it in Pokeballs. :)

Years
  • I would've cried myself to sleep that night. I usually don't risk anything and just throw Pokeballs at it ever since I did the same thing as you xD

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2016
    i soft reset my 3ds over a shiny lugia, when i realized i was so pissed and raged. shit happens just learn from it....always look twice or in your case carry a false sweeper. i carry a serperior with false swipe which works just fine :)

Years
  • I haven't had this happen, mostly because I fail at finding shinies at all, but this sounds like a nightmare and I can just imagine your pain! D:

SlayerGlaceon

DO THE GLACEON SAMBA
    Years
  • For shiny charm, do you need the national dex or the Hoenn dex? Because I have the whole Weather Trio, will probs trade around some Lake Trios, jinn guys and tryhard dogs, and go around catching everything everywhere and trading arond region exclusives TO GET THAT SHINY CHARM.

Masuda breeding isn't as fast as chaining, but it's easier to just release a couple hundred thousand Eevees. I'm looking for a Shiny FEMALE Eevee, so I'll post my males on the trade thread okrr?

Also, look up the Gallade catcher thingy. It's got a ton of swearing in it, but it teaches you how to make a catch-anything Gallade.

Back