• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny Mew a Myth?

AshtheIVth

I want Kingdom Hearts 3 now!!
Years
  • Okay i have been looking for a similar post/thread for a half an hour now, cant find one, so i have to ask, what is up with a shiny mew, or for that matter, how about a Japanese, shiny (blue) Mew? I was doing some Wonder Trade when an acquaintance, i think his IGN was Jacob(?) wanted to trade with me. Being curious of course i accepted his offer, where he shown me a blue mew, and asked for two legendaries in return for a level 1 Phione and a level 100 blue Mew. I was going to take his offer but all i had for legendaries was a Mewtwo and my Xerneas, which he had both. I have heard that shiny mew is fake but i swear on my life thats what he offered me, so:

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS: Was he for real? Does that Mew really exist? Was it a hack/glitch?
    Please get back to me someone, i cant get it anyway if it is real, at least not until i get some better legendaries, but i would like to know and im sure that other players have the same question, thanks!!!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Shiny Mew is always a hack. Hacks exist, but you probably don't want that hacked mew in your game anyway, unless you don't mind having them. But yeah. It's always a hack.

Nusdogg

6IV Shiny Master
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure it's a hack as you can even breed Mew to get a shiny, I don't think. I have both Shiny Mewtwo and Mew with 6 Perfect IV stats, and there's no way but hacks.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • It's not always a hack, but it usually is. One legit way to obtain it is in emerald. You can find a mew if you went to a toy 'R' us type (or mix records with someone who has done this) of event and get an old sea chart. You will then be taken to "faraway island" where you can fight and catch mew. This mew is a viewed in game as a sprite just like rayquaza. As such, it is suseptable to RNG abuse so that you can get it shiny.
    Source: Myself, as I've done this before and https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Faraway_Island

AshtheIVth

Years
  • I'm pretty sure it's a hack as you can even breed Mew to get a shiny, I don't think. I have both Shiny Mewtwo and Mew with 6 Perfect IV stats, and there's no way but hacks.

Not to repeat what you just said, but basically its impossible to get a legitimate mew in X or Y then, man, disappointing, i have wanted a mew for the last 16 years, can never get my hands on one. I guess if there's no chance it will hurt my games data in any way then i may go forth to try to obtain one! Anyway thanks to everyone for the info, like i said, disappointing to find that out but im glad i asked. :)

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • Not to repeat what you just said, but basically its impossible to get a legitimate mew in X or Y then, man, disappointing, i have wanted a mew for the last 16 years, can never get my hands on one. I guess if there's no chance it will hurt my games data in any way then i may go forth to try to obtain one! Anyway thanks to everyone for the info, like i said, disappointing to find that out but im glad i asked. :)
    If the pokemon was correctly hacked, you shouldn't be able to tell it apart from a legitimate pokemon no matter what the pokemon is.

Years
  • I got a blue mew once, i had to 1v1 battled a hacker for it on Heartgold. He used like a level 32 starly and tried using the endeavor tactic, and I used my level 100 charizard from leaf green. Anyway, his second move (quick attack) missed and i won the blue mew. Then I put the blue mew in my pokewalker and lost it. Then i traded my friend my heartgold game for platinum... and my charizard is stuck in Pokemon Ranch beacuse my friend restarted the diamond game i transferred it from

AshtheIVth

Years
  • I got a blue mew once, i had to 1v1 battled a hacker for it on Heartgold. He used like a level 32 starly and tried using the endeavor tactic, and I used my level 100 charizard from leaf green. Anyway, his second move (quick attack) missed and i won the blue mew. Then I put the blue mew in my pokewalker and lost it. Then i traded my friend my heartgold game for platinum... and my charizard is stuck in Pokemon Ranch beacuse my friend restarted the diamond game i transferred it from

He got a second move in? Quick attack actually missed? Whoa...cool to hear you got the mew, sad that you lost it, and charizard is stuck, much sadness around that...

Years
  • Well, I used flamethrower, ans it didn't destroy him somehow.. Then he used endeavor. So we're both at bottom line hp. Last turn, he used quick attack, missed. Then i ended it with flamethrower. Either Charizard has good evasiveness im just lucky

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2015
    https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Mew
    By now, we're all used to Nintendo's well-established act of pretending that event legendaries don't exist until they're ready to distribute them. While Pokémon Diamond and Pearl were released in September 2006, Arceus wasn't officially revealed to Japanese fans until February of 2009. But in Mew's case, they had a good reason for not revealing it: they didn't know it existed.

Although the first generation of Pokémon games contain a handful of references to Mew as the mysterious creature used in the creation of Mewtwo, there was no plan for it to appear in the games. However, at the end of the development of Red and Green, programmer Shigeki Morimoto noticed that there was enough room for one more Pokémon, following the removal of the debugging tools. And so, Mew itself was quietly inserted into the code, and although the higher-ups at Game Freak were all aware of the new hidden content, Nintendo wasn't. Mew couldn't be accessed through normal gameplay and, as Morimoto put it, "Unless we could think about any good opportunity to do so, the existence of Mew wouldn't have been revealed to the public. It was left in there in case it was suitable for some post-launch activity."

Mew might have remained a secret forever were it not for certain bugs in the games that led some players to discover its existence. As rumors of a hidden Pokémon began to spread, Nintendo capitalized on them by launching the "Legendary Pokémon Offer" in CoroCoro Comic. Twenty winners would be selected to have Mew put on their game cartridges, and there were around 78,000 entrants. Nintendo and Game Freak have both indicated that this was the turning point for Red and Green, lifting them to best-seller status.
    In other words, it could be argued that without "hacked" Mews, Pokémon wouldn't have become so popular that it is today. :P

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2019
    Shiny Mew can be legitimate. Japan got the Old Sea Map, which unlocks Faraway Island event, which then leads to Mew that isn't shiny locked so that you can SR for it.

Yeah that's the only legit way I know of. I remember being envious of japan when they got that old sea chart. Then years later a Japanese gave me a Emerald old sea chart mew when DP gave access to online. Funny enough it was shiny.XP

So it is possible but very rare.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • Never heared of a shiny mew in real games, maybe you can get one by hacking .

Back