• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Ash have been/should be scrapped

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
  • By the way Administrators, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate, which it probably is?

Anyway, I've never liked Ash and is hot-headedness and realised, why is it still him this show is based about? I see how he wants to be the very best, but so do others. They should have alternated Ash with other characters, maybe even a female lead. Variety would be good, and this has giving another idea that Pokémon could be vastly revamped, but the collecting aspect must stay as it's the key thing keeping people attached.

I know some will agree but I want to see the arguments disagreeing with me. Thanks :)

EDIT: Also, I think Pokemon Movies should be focused on someone else as they are in no relation to the Anime if you come to think of it. This keeps things fresh and the Movies could have been another whole franchise for them.

Last edited:

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    The thing about Pokemon is the audience changes, so the main character doesn't have to. Older kids grow out of the series, just as younger kids are tuning in to watch it for the first time. Don't you think it's great that there are kids today watching the exact same show that you did ten years ago - meeting the same characters and going on the same adventures? I think it's very nice.

Sometimes I'll see a little girl with a Pikachu lunchbox and I'll think, "That used to be me!" and makes me feel all happy. It wouldn't be the same if she had a lunchbox with some new Pokemon character on it.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Of course he should've been scrapped. Will he get scrapped? Probably not.

I'll disagree with you for the hell of it though. Since Ash is as synonymous with animé as Pikachu is with the franchise it's probably better to stay consistant with the character.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    The thing about Pokemon is the audience changes, so the main character doesn't have to. Older kids grow out of the series, just as younger kids are tuning in to watch it for the first time. Don't you think it's great that there are kids today watching the exact same show that you did ten years ago - meeting the same characters and going on the same adventures? I think it's very nice.

Sometimes I'll see a little girl with a Pikachu lunchbox and I'll think, "That used to be me!" and makes me feel all happy. It wouldn't be the same if she had a lunchbox with some new Pokemon character on it.

I agree with this post. I get all excited when I see some sort of new pokémon backpack or school item that has Ash and Pikachu. And while it may be repetitive to the older fans of the show and changing it would be cool to see, it's still keeping something from the original which is nice as well. I don't know, Ash never really bothered me (besides his sometimes annoying voice in the English version) since I loved the original anime and seeing his relationship with his pokémon. I would just say keep him, so the newer fans and kids of the show can also watch the older episodes, and not feel a huge change to it at all.

Besides, they already change his main pokémon from series to series. I think Ash should be older by now... but I don't think it's that relevant since it's just a cartoon and most of the people watching are just kids who have no idea how long it's really been around.

Years
  • I honestly wish they anime went a bit more like the manga. It'd be kind of nice to have a new protagonist every few years, yet still have the older ones be a part of the series. Now we've had Ash for too long, and I'm somewhat attached to him. I don't want him to leave now. .-.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Despite that I dislike Satoshi (usually, sometimes not), I don't think the show would be the same without him. So, no, I don't think he should be scrapped.​

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I can see where you are coming from.

I personally liked Cal (I know his name is Jimmy, but... Wtf ever, right?) and Kris, it would have opened the door to Silver being the main rival kind of like Gary was, but. They didn't really do much with it, and plus Ash has gone so far. I wouldn't mind if Ash continued his own journey, but I would like more of what they did with Chronicles. I think they should kind of balance the characters out and give them much bigger roles because Ash gets all the attention.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    Hmm, I hear you on not liking Ash that much. (I personally liked Gary a lot more)

Maybe if the members of Team Rocket decided to be legitimate for a season? It would be rather outlandish, but it would also be entertaining to watch...

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    As long as Pokemon is around, Ash will be around. However I would be all for another Pokemon show focusing on another trainer, and having two shows for Pokemon.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Wow, I really like your arguments, they show why Ash is still there/should still be there. Maybe I should watch Pokemon Chronicles, that has different leads as I heard.

Also I edited the title post, have a look at it.

Years
  • I like having Ash as the main character as i grew up with him as the main protagonist.
    They should of kept the chronicles though to keep it fresh and interesting.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
  • What should have happend:

Ash during the series "Master Quest" I think this is what should have happend. In the episode "Fighting Fire with Fire" Ash was fighting to be the champion. The episode was great, and it all came down to Ash's Charizard vs a Blaziken. Ash loses even though Charizard used flying moves all over that Blaziken. They should have made him the champ. Ash becomes Champ of Elite four, and Pikachu evolves to Raichu, and then they end Ash's story. They maybe make some references to him here and there but for the most part they move onto a new trainer. The End.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yup.But they haven't, so they need to scrap 2 people now:

1.Dawn (it's gonna happen, obvs)
    2.Brock-he's been around too long, and doesn't really do anything

Years
  • Well yugioh scrapped yugi and the show isnt as popular eneymore and its hard to even watch an episode because it comes on so early in the morning hear were I live so I dont think that scrapping ash will help the show.But I would like to see it personaly due to the fact that ash is to immature.But I have to realize that even though he is immature their are children that watch this show and thier immature so I think their allowing the franchise to stay the way it is because if they change it younger audiences wont like it and there funds will half and end up like yugioh where you hardley hear about the series eneymore same as bakugan.I love the idea of the movies though I wish you would sell that to the people of nintendo and gamefreak movies so they would make that happen.I rember their being a diffrent trainer in the mini movie they aired about rakiou on cartoon network a while back and it turned out great now if every movie was like that I would actually like the movies.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Bluerang1 said:
    EDIT: Also, I think Pokemon Movies should be focused on someone else as they are in no relation to the Anime if you come to think of it. This keeps things fresh and the Movies could have been another whole franchise for them.

The movies are canon to the series.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I don't think they should scrap Ash ;_; hes like everythingespecially to me him being like the hotest anime teen ever XD, kids and adults that watch the show they learn something from him like i did, he never gave up and i followed on from that, and his story and journey has not been completed yet....

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    The movies are canon to the series.

When was the last time that they referenced events from the movies in the TV series?

Honestly, getting a new lead wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea. At the very least, it would justify a new Region with new Pokemon if the character was just getting started on his or her journey. Maybe come up with a different backstory too. Take some advice from our Fanfic corner.

Sotto Voce

woohoo!!
    Years
  • The thing about Pokemon is the audience changes, so the main character doesn't have to. Older kids grow out of the series, just as younger kids are tuning in to watch it for the first time. Don't you think it's great that there are kids today watching the exact same show that you did ten years ago - meeting the same characters and going on the same adventures? I think it's very nice.

I agree....but disagree at the same time. :p
    It does get kind of old after a while.

But who am I to say? I haven't watched the shows in YEARS. XD
    I've only seen the movies.

And though I am kind of old (in my opinion), once in a while I wish we had more channels so I could watch the shows. =D

Back