• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should guys be ashamed of watching shoujo animes?

Should guys be ashamed of watching shoujo animes?

• Total voters

RYOUKI

survive the world.
Years
  • As the title says: "Should guys be ashamed of watching shoujo animes?"

Well, Shoujo is basically for girls, but then... some guys likes to watch animes especially made by CLAMP, some girls I know likes o watch shounen animes, but it's a different stories so...

Do you think that: Should guys be ashamed of watching shoujo animes?

Rukia Kuchiki

Banned
    Years
  • I don't think so.

That's just like saying girls can't play video games because their for boys.

In the world we live in these days, genders don't have limitations anymore.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • No need to feel ashamed methinks.
    Plus, lots of anime these days seem to be aiming at a wider demographic despite being shoujo... like Shugo Chara and Fairy Musketeers (lol morning-midnight anime).

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    Well..like rukia said gender has no limitations these days...but just out of curiosity what is shoujo anime and shounen? lol....i am dumb.V.V EDIT: thanks darkk for telling me ....i am gonna vote no then

Last edited:

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
  • [SIZE=-1]Shoujo: Japanese for "girl". Anime referred to as being "shoujo" are targeted at females.
    Shounen is the opposite.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1] I see nothing wrong with boys watching Shoujo though... and vice-versa.
    [/SIZE]

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Just cause it's targeted at girls doesn't mean guys shouldn't watch it. It just may be a bit inaccessible to the typical male, that's all.

There are some pretty good shoujo's out there which could very well be shounen.

Vanilla Kitsune

Bloody git
    Years
  • Nah, it really shouldn't matter. Although a shoujo series is targeted at a female auidence, males can watch just as much shoujo as girls as they please. No problem with being ashamed in it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I don't think so. I mean, I've watched some shounen anime and really enjoyed them all, so I'm not gonna put a guy down if he's a fan of shoujo. That'd be silly. Not all series targeted at girls are pink and fluffy romance stories, anyway--take a look at Vampire Knight. It's full of blood, and fans had to go through 35 chapters to even see a kissing scene.

Still, I'll admit that I'd probably giggle if I saw a guy run into a store and grab an issue of Shojo Beat... but hey, more power to him if he's actually that brave. XD

Kirioroshi

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    Still, I'll admit that I'd probably giggle if I saw a guy run into a store and grab an issue of Shojo Beat... but hey, more power to him if he's actually that brave. XD

Lol I agree.

Just because something is targeted at a specific Gender, doesn't mean your not allowed to consume/use it. it would be like not allowing a girl to play counter strike. =S that would be gender discrimination, if im right.

Shika

F o r e s t Wizard
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2009
    Oh. you said watch in the title and read in the poll O.o
    But I'll take it as watching.

It's a yes and no for me.
    If it is too shoujo, like too much strawberries and skirts. I'll say bye.
    But if it is acceptable, I'll continue watching it.

For manga, I read them no matter it is too girly or not. Because it doesn't take much time.

Oversoul

Quiet you.
    Years
  • Hell no, there's nothing wrong with it. Just because something is supposedly "aimed" at a specific group of people doesn't mean that another group can't enjoy it just as much, if not more than them.

Edit: GAH! I clicked the wrong option. Dx

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I don't think they should be ashamed. There's no reason for it. One likes what he likes, right?
    I, and probably many other girls, have already watched some shounen series, so why can't a male watch a shojo one? All about being fair~

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I said no in the poll, but I just wanted to make my opinion heard~

Things like Shojo Beat has GREAT manga in it. No one can say they they're all bad if the know what they're talking about. My friend who happens to be a boy told me about Lovely Complex, a manga IN Shojo Beat.

IMO: Shojo just means less violence and more comedy/romance or whatever. Shows like Suzuka, which was classified as a girls' anime, is more commonly watched by guys(or the other way around, I can't remember correctly ><)

But yeah, I think it's ridiculous that boys would be ashamed to read all that~

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
  • No, guys should not be ashamed. Theres some really good Shoujo anime.

I personally have seen
    His and Her Circumstances (Kare Kano)
    Peach Girl
    Lovely Complex
    Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
    Ai yori aoshi

And some are very very good.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • Yes, we should.

Being that i am a man and i hate all types of Shounen Anime & Magazine/Manga, i'm against it and i would be ashamed to watch it.

Don't you mean shoujo your 13 year old manliness?

I don't see anything with watching shoujo if you're a guy, personally. Who cares if it's aimed at girls? That doesn't mean watching it will make you less of a guy, and quite a few shoujo anime have qualities that appeal to males as well.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    There's nothing to be ashamed about watching shoujo anime. The real problem is actually finding shoujo anime worth watching.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Not at all. Guys shouldn't be ashamed of watching/reading Shoujo. I knew a few guys that watch it. Everyone should watch and read whatever they want. For me as a example I watch/read Shoujo and Shonen. If you are interested in it go for it.

Back