• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Should I stay away?

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2020
    Hey guys, this is the first Pokemon game I plan on buying since...erm...Ruby (?) and was wondering is it too big of a jump to make since obviously the games have changed a lot - at least the graphics from what I remember?

A lil backstory, if it helps, is I haven't played any of the other games simply because I never bought a handheld system after GBA. I've checked out the random news article here and there that came with the new games. I bought a Switch a few months back just because my friend was offering it for very cheap so I figured I might as well get back into the Pokemon games.

And I apologize if this isn't the right section to post this question in!

Years
  • not gonna lie, it is a very big jump, although thankfully not as big of a jump as gen 7 is (mostly because you wouldn't have to get accustomed to mega evolutions and z-moves, which are non-existent in Galar). that said though, i will say that dynamax/gigantamax will likely (from what i can tell of the marketing, anyway) be a very big part of these games so that's something to get used to.

really though, idk. i feel like whether or not you should really buy these games is a decision that's ultimately up to you. sorry if this isn't especially helpful advice but likely some people in this thread are going to offer their perspectives from a less than objective standpoint. i think if i was someone that hasn't played since the GBA games and saw these games, i'd be pretty damn excited for the changes and new pokemon and the new adventure that would await, but that's just me personally.

Last edited:

Sugar-Fable

Pokemon Princess
    Years
  • A lot has changed since gen 3 so there will be a lot of big differences! Like there's been new types such so that might be a little different... Other then that since each gen isn't a sequel to each other and you won't have to worry about mega evolutions, I don't think it'd be too hard to get used to it. Maybe look at some trailers and see if you're interested?

pkmin3033

There haven't been any significant changes to Pokemon's core game mechanics since Gen IV with the physical/special split for moves really. Everything else that they've introduced has been a single-generation gimmick, and some tweaks to the UI to make it easier to navigate, faster, etc. You'll find that initially it may seem that a lot has changed, but once you get accustomed to the small QoL changes that it's basically exactly the same game as Ruby/Sapphire. This generation's gimmick is Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing, but I can't imagine there won't be a tutorial on that which should explain it. These things are never overly complicated.

Pokemon is a very easy series where you can overcome literally any obstacle by grinding, and grinding generally doesn't take as long as it does in other RPGs. So if you want to hop back into the franchise now, it's not going to be that big of an adjustment from Gen III. If you want to get into the ins-and-outs of things like competitive battling then you'll have a lot to catch up on and learn, but if you just want to play the game, it's basically the same game you played before but with a fresh coat of paint. I'd advise not preordering, though - wait and see if there is going to be a demo upon release. There's a reasonable chance that one will pop up once the games are out there.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Personally I think you'll be fine. There will be some learning curve, but the game should have some tutorials (even if it isn't reportedly as much as gen 7 games - but those had too many tutorials!)

There'll be a help section set up by game's release if you do end up getting it and have questions, and also if you visit our discord questions in the SwSh channels would be fine to ask as well. =)

Years
  • I wouldn't say stay away. The newer games to me, aren't anywhere near as bad as people say they are. Personally, I don't think there's ever been a bad game. The mechanics are pretty much the same. Outside of the Dynamax forms atleast.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    If you mean in the way of the SwSh feedback, Pokemon is just one of those things where you can't other people's opinions affect your own enjoyment.

I'm super hyped for these games, and think they look really cool - whereas some people think they look awful.

It's all about trying for yourself, maybe you'll enjoy them. Could be surprised.

Gen wise, it is a big jump, but it could be fun one. If it were me, I'd try. :>

The graphics have come a long way, and this is way more open world, but if that's your jam then I hope you do give it a go.

Back