• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should Seviper have been an evo for Arbok?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Moving to Pokemon General since this is about the Pokemon, and not the games themselves.

And I don't think it should have been. They look nothing alike.

Kelp

<3
    Years
    Most of the first gen. pokemon usually have the same color schemes, or at least I think so, except the obvious Magikarp/Gyrados.

So, in my opinion, Seviper couldn't be an Arbok evo. If anything, maybe a pre evo?
    Though it would be cool to have an Arbok evo. =)

Ayselipera

While I agree Arbok needs an evolution to help it out stat wise, I couldn't see Seviper being that evolution. For one, like Kelp said above me, the color scheme is a lot different and not to mention we're dealing with two different snakes here. Arbok is based on a kobra while Seviper is based on a viper. Then again you could argue that Ekans is also based on a different type of snake too. That being either a rattlesnake or boa. I personally see rattlesnake even though there is a lack of fangs. Either way I just don't see it coming together in the end.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Did this idea come from the Pokemon Trainers Choice Error?

I don't think so because:

- Arbok is taller and weighs more than Seviper.
    - Arbok's family has a different learnable moves than Seviper.
    - It's a little late to connect Arbok and Seviper into one evolution line when they have been seperate for at least three generations.

Ayselipera

Did this idea come from the Pokemon Trainers Choice Error?

I don't think so because:

- Arbok is taller and weighs more than Seviper.
    - Arbok's family has a different learnable moves than Seviper.
    - It's a little late to connect Arbok and Seviper into one evolution line when they have been seperate for at least three generations.

That's a good point, but there are Pokemon that weigh less then their pre-evolution. An example would be Alakazam and Gliscor. There are also Pokemon that are shorter then their pre-evolution too. The ones I know being Gengar, Dragonite, Bellossom, and Porygon2. Bellossom even weighs less and is shorter then its pre-evolution Gloom. Same goes for Porygon2 after evolving from Porygon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't think that Seviper should evolve from Arbok. Just because 2 Pokemon look similar doesn't mean that one will evolve into the other.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    No.

Arbok BST: 438
    Seviper BST: 458

Only 20 stat points higher isn't a very big upgrade. Seviper also has a totally different stat distribution than Arbok. Hell, Seviper actually has less defense, Special Defense and Speed. So if he was an evolution than it would be a very bad one.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    No.....if you've noticed, most, if not all cross-generational relatives have very similar colour schemes....sure, Porygon is lighter than Porygon2 and Porygon-Z, but Seviper is completely different to Arbok, as it's really dark....with little purple...also, whereas Ekans' thin neck spreading out into that massive mask-ish flap of skin Arbok has is believable.....where the hell has Seviper hidden all that purple?

It just couldn't happen....and not everything needs to be a 3-tier evolution line...there are very few Gen I pokémon with no relatives...same for Gen II....not sure about Gen III/IV....but a few Gen IV pokémon were related to previous pokémon anyway...

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
    No.....if you've noticed, most, if not all cross-generational relatives have very similar colour schemes....sure, Porygon is lighter than Porygon2 and Porygon-Z, but Seviper is completely different to Arbok, as it's really dark....with little purple...also, whereas Ekans' thin neck spreading out into that massive mask-ish flap of skin Arbok has is believable.....where the hell has Seviper hidden all that purple?

It just couldn't happen....and not everything needs to be a 3-tier evolution line...there are very few Gen I pokémon with no relatives...same for Gen II....not sure about Gen III/IV....but a few Gen IV pokémon were related to previous pokémon anyway...

Exactly. Plus, 18 of the gen III pokemon, didn't have evolutions, and still don't, including Seviper. Plus, Arbok is based on a Cobra (its name backwards is even Kobra). While Seviper is based on a Viper (he also has it in his name), which are two completely different kinds of snakes. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work!

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    It wouldn't really work. Arbok has two abilities (Intimidate and Shed Skin) and Seviper only has Shed Skin meaning it becomes less scary after evolving. Which is strange for a snake Pokemon. They also rely somewhat on each other for their egg moves. If it was so then when a baby Ekans and a Zangoose just hatched Zangoose would always have the advantage, whereas Seviper and Zangoose are more evenly matched.

Scorpio219

PM me for custom banners
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2013
    it definately should not be a evo of arbok, but if anything it could be an alternate evo ekans, like say if he was holding a dusk stone or some thing.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    As said above they are in the family of snakes but they are a different species from each other, so making it a evolution would not make much sense species wise. For me if Seviper was an evolution too the first two it would seem to some what detract from it's back story which is a rival to Zangoose. If Seviper had a line then Zangoose should as well. Also if Arbok was going to get a new line I would think Weezing would deserve one at the same time as well.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    No.

Arbok BST: 438
    Seviper BST: 458

Only 20 stat points higher isn't a very big upgrade. Seviper also has a totally different stat distribution than Arbok. Hell, Seviper actually has less defense, Special Defense and Speed. So if he was an evolution than it would be a very bad one.

Actually...

Scyther BST: 500
    Scizor BST: 500

Cross-generational evolutions don't have to change BSTs. They just change the stat distribution. Scizor has practically half the speed of Scyther, with a bit more Attack and Defense.

OT: At any rate, no, it shouldn't. It would ruin the Seviper-Zangoose background story idea.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Nah, they look nothing alike from each other. D: Plus they both look the same size, sort of. And they're totally different colors. Seviper looks fine alone, unless a new Pokemon game gives it a pre-evolution/evolution.

Dark: Random Guy

Professional Coin Flipper
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2011
    Agreed. If they did that it would offend both Zangoose and Seviper fans alike.

That and for reasons explained above Seviper would make no sense as an evolution or pre-evo (definately not pre-evo because Ekans is actually weaker than Seviper statwise)

Back