• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should women be allowed to go around topless in public?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    You know, since men can go around topless in public. People against this argue that women should not be allowed to because men would be aroused by an attractive woman's chest. Are women not aroused by an attractive man's chest, as well?

Discuss.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    I made a thread similar to this, but it was closed. Hopefully it will not this time around.

Either both men and women should not be allowed to or both should be allowed to in order to be equitable. Of these two options, it makes the most sense that both men and women should be able to be in public without a shirt on. Many people may be against it morally; however, we don't have the right to coerce a woman to share our same moral beliefs, and thereby, wear a shirt. Businesses and restaurants have the right to dictate which clothes are appropriate however.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    It seems like, at this point in time, a woman's breasts are viewed sexually by others, especially men, that it'd be a huge adjustment to make. I'm not saying it can't be done and I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but with what breasts symbolize in today's society, idk. I'd be more afraid of kidnapping and rapes happening. Cause it's like...now you SEE all the goods, so...my GOD I can't continue this sentence, so if you don't get it, then sorry lol. :(

As a kid though, I did see it as unfair. I made quite a big spectacle of it too and thought it was a huge injustice, especially cause when you're a child, most girls don't even have developed breasts and their chests look just like a boy's chest at that age.

Years
    I know from second-hand experience that in Vancouver and parts of San Francisco women can do this. As far as I can tell it hasn't caused any trouble. Now I do expect that the people who live in these cities are a bit more mature than similar people would be in, say, a small rural town somewhere in the American Midwest where a topless woman might cause a small panic wherein ladies clutch their pearls and gasp in horror, but other people being immature isn't a good enough reason to keep others from doing something that is not in any way harmful.

It's not like many women are going to do this if it's legal anyway, and probably only during hot weather if they do. Nudity (and we're not even talking about the lower half) is not something which can in itself cause any harm.

Spoiler:

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2021
    Pretty much what Syd said. It's sadly due to our patriarchal society that it has come to be this way. Men are the dominant force regardless of the rise in equality in our society and because of this women are treated less than they should be because of it. There really is a social.. well... "law" that we knowingly or not have where women are not allowed to feel attraction and pursue, but are meant to be subservient and look titillating. She's meant to want it, but not him necessarily, and is expected to give him what he wants. (For those who argue this, I suggest you all go really pay attention to advertisements and what you see in movies and video games. Guarantee that the trend is, by and large, a dominant, hulking man and the feeble, dependent woman.)

Do I think it's fair? No. Do I think that women should be allowed to do it too? Yes. They're human beings entitled to every right and responsibility a man is. HOWEVER, yeh... given just how dangerous it is for a woman to just be herself, I worry about the backlash of sexual deviance and crimes because of that ingrained belief so many have that women are there as nothing more than a sex toy :/

Also, to go on what Scarf just pointed out, another problem really is the lack of proper education and maturity being instilled in people. It works where it does BECAUSE those areas have that, but by and large, America anyway has lagged behind in those two departments in a large portion of the country, particularly the Southern States.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    You know, since men can go around topless in public. People against this argue that women should not be allowed to because men would be aroused by an attractive woman's chest. Are women not aroused by an attractive man's chest, as well?

Discuss.
    I don't think it's a matter of being attracted to a woman's chest. I think it's more just... decency and standards? I don't think we want dude's wandering around with their junk hanging out.

I've been to topless beaches while in France. I think that's okay. Not sure what the rules were in France, but something like that with an age restriction is okay.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't think it's a matter of being attracted to a woman's chest. I think it's more just... decency and standards? I don't think we want dude's wandering around with their junk hanging out.

I agree with this too. I just don't know why you'd want to walk about with your privates jiggling around, and that goes for men too.

Now that I think about it, women, unlike men, can get away with what they wear more than men. So, in a sense, I think it's balanced. Guys can go without shirts, women have more lee way with what they can wear and not be judged for it. That's not the solution, but...you know.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

A dude's "junk" is a sex organ, while a woman's breasts are not.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    ^ Exactly.

The appearance of a woman's breast is the same as a male breast, with the exception that women tend to have more adipose tissue. Overweight and obese men could potentially carry breasts that appear similar to females breasts if their body fat percentage is more than 25%. Also, some women, especially those who engage in professional weight lifting, may have less adipose tissue.

Neither the amount of adipose tissue a person bears on his/her chest nor gender should distinguish whether or not someone is "indecently" exposing herself/himself. Each individual can distinguish that for herself/himself and decide whether or not to wear a something to cover their chest in public.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I had a look at this & thought that it'll be very interesting. It sure is, so I'll make my point before I turn in for the night.

I do agree to FreakyLocz' claim that women's breasts aren't junk organs. What is their use? To nurse a new-born child. What's the big deal with that?

Unfortunately, in addition to some of the other facts that other people brought up, it is the fact that most families, if not all of them, always shield their offspring from the cruder aspects of human nature. This includes, but isn't limited to, breast-baring & sex. Whenever these aspects are shown in the presence of those families, they do whatever it takes to keep their children from witnessing those aspects of human nature, as they think that it's horrible when in actuality, it's all human nature. & who knows? They might've been like that themselves.

Maybe one day, there will be a time in which women can actually have their breasts completely exposed for the whole world to see, & everyone will think that it's just another day in the office. Unfortunately, today is not that day...

droomph

weeb
    Years
    They do this all the time in China, and...OH GAWD NO

I don't see why we can't, although I would rather prefer people not to. It's none of my business, so go ahead and be topless although I personally will judge you.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I think society needs to get over the hurdle of women breastfeeding in pubic first. Seems like half think it's a-ok.. and the other half gets offended if a woman whips her jumbly out and doesn't use a blanket to cover herself.

If they make it legal, they gotta make it legal for everyone. Sure you'll have some teens and women who are just happy with their bodies and wanna flaunt it.. but then you have loads more lazy or old people who figure they couldn't be bothered with a bra or a shirt.. and I'm not sure if I'd want to see either, say, when I go grocery shopping. On retrospect, I don't really want to see a guy shirtless in a grocery store either. Beaches? Yeah, go wild- do whatever!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    A dude's "junk" is a sex organ, while a woman's breasts are not.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm fine with breastfeeding in public.

But, what I was referencing was the original your original point of "men would be aroused by an attractive woman's chest". I don't have a heterosexual female (or bi, or whatever else that applies here) mind, so I can't follow their thought process. But my assumptions has been sort of like guys like boobs, girls like penis. Probably not the case at all, but I guess I'm just basing my logic off of naughty stick figures XD They look the same except for a penis or boobs, so clearly that must be the difference and what the opposite sex looks for. lol

Anyway to be quite honest, how often do you see a guy walking down the street without a shirt? Unless you live in a beach area, I have to say I never have. I'm pretty sure that here in Ontario women are allowed to go topless. But you never actually see a woman go topless on the street here except for that one day a year when some ladies go topless in protest of not being able to go topless in public when they are already allowed to go topless in public. Not the most informed bunch.

So, I think even if it were legal, as it is here, people still wouldn't do it because they just don't want to.

I think society needs to get over the hurdle of women breastfeeding in pubic first. Seems like half think it's a-ok.. and the other half gets offended if a woman whips her jumbly out and doesn't use a blanket to cover herself.
    Yeah, I've got no qualms there.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Either both men and women should not be allowed to or both should be allowed to in order to be equitable. Of these two options, it makes the most sense that both men and women should be able to be in public without a shirt on. Many people may be against it morally; however, we don't have the right to coerce a woman to share our same moral beliefs, and thereby, wear a shirt. Businesses and restaurants have the right to dictate which clothes are appropriate however.
    No, I don't agree with this. We are not equal, and that's that. We can't be treated equally because we're just not the same. What I'm saying isn't anything offensive or sexist or whatever, it's the simple truth. A females chest is not the same as a males. Not biologically, and especially not morally. And that doesn't change, even when they do look the same sometimes with some people, because it's hardly about what they look like physically. It's just not decent for a girl to do that, and it is for a guy. Why?? Because of the certain purpose that female breasts have, that male breasts don't. If male breasts would have the same function as females, guys wouldn't walk around topless either (ofc I'm sure some would, just as some females do too, so that's not the point). Also, whether breasts are attractive to guys or not is completely subjective. There's enough straight guys alone that don't necessarily like them, and then there's all the homosexual ones, and homosexual females that DO like them, so I'm not gonna use that point because it's not really solid.

Tbh I'm getting sick and tired of people constantly wanting to equalize EVERYTHING between males and females, you just can't do that, we're not equal, we're different. Since when do girls want to walk topless btw, just because guys can?? It's just ridiculous lol.

Last edited:

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Tbh why are guys arguing AGAINST this?

I'd be too happy if it was allowed. I think it's girls that would have a problem with guys ogling them.

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Because some males are still courteous enough to set aside their desires for the sake of decency.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Tbh why are guys arguing AGAINST this?

I'd be too happy if it was allowed. I think it's girls that would have a problem with guys ogling them.

Why would any girl be ok with being oggled at like an object of sex? Like a pair of breasts with no brains? There are enough sleezy guys as it is, we don't need to bring out their sleeziness. I mean I got -told- by a Co-worker that I "need to go swimming with him at lunchtime." No thanks, I don't want to give you fodder for your imagination. Girls who want attention hang it all out anyways.. so it wouldn't make a difference right now.

What ever happened to the word modesty?

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Because some males are still courteous enough to set aside their desires for the sake of decency.

Except the majority of teenage boys, including myself, are chauvanistic *******s who have pretty much no decency whatsoever. So...

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Except the majority of teenage boys, including myself, are chauvanistic *******s who have pretty much no decency whatsoever. So...
    Soo this is your argument? I'm pretty sure that would work against you, lol, js. So my previous point still stands.

Back