• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Should X and Y get an update?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
  • Easily handled by forcing players to update in order to battle/trade/etc. with others.
    I don't think you're getting what I mean. I mean if you had say a Slowbroite in XY, and tried to use the XY cart on a 3DS that doesn't have the update, it means you have an item with a bad ID and it causes problems in the game.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't think you're getting what I mean. I mean if you had say a Slowbroite in XY, and tried to use the XY cart on a 3DS that doesn't have the update, it means you have an item with a bad ID and it causes problems in the game.
    I'm pretty sure that the 3DS would force you to download the update before letting you play the game, right? I swear that happened with one of the X/Y updates.

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that the 3DS would force you to download the update before letting you play the game, right? I swear that happened with one of the X/Y updates.

Well I think it says it will downloaded the update when you start the game but I don't know since it doesn't seem like it downloads it.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that the 3DS would force you to download the update before letting you play the game, right? I swear that happened with one of the X/Y updates.

Yeah, that happened early on in X&Y for the Lumiose update. It refused to allow you to play online with anyone in any way without first downloading the update. I can't see why it can't be done to allow cross-play between X&Y and ORAS, unless it's intended to boost sales figures by limitation (if you want to play with your ORAS friend, you have to buy ORAS); yet, I'm sure it'd boost sales more to allow the feature, unless they have the "they'll buy it anyway" mindset.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • The animation is not the problem. A lot of the new mega's have new abilities that we don't have in X and Y. I hope that intervieuw was fake. I mean what are you gonna do in battle spot with pokémon with new abilities?
    edit: Also there are new moves. Maybe the new moves and ability's are in the data and the hackers just haven't found it yet.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    The animation is not the problem. A lot of the new mega's have new abilities that we don't have in X and Y. I hope that intervieuw was fake. I mean what are you gonna do in battle spot with pokémon with new abilities?
    edit: Also there are new moves. Maybe the new moves and ability's are in the data and the hackers just haven't found it yet.

What abilities do any of them have that aren't currently in X and Y?

Sceptile - Lightning Rod (is in X and Y)
    Swampert - Swift Swim (is in X and Y)
    Slowbro - Shell Armor (is in X and Y)
    Sharpedo - Strong Jaw (is in X and Y)
    Camerupt - Sheer Force (is in X and Y)
    Salamence - Aerilate (is in X and Y)
    Sableye - MAgic Bounce (is in X and Y)
    Metagross - Tough Claws (is in X and Y)
    Lopunny - Scrappy (is in X and Y)
    Gallade - Inner Focus (is in X and Y)
    Diancie - MAgic Bounce (is in X and Y)
    Altaria - Pixilate (is in X and Y)
    Pidgeot - No Guard (is in X and Y)
    Beedril - Adapatibility (is in X and Y)
    Lati@s - Levitate (is not only in X and Y, but is their normal ability anyway)

Now, as for the weather Trio, yes, THOSE could be the situation with abilities, but one thing everyone is grossly overlooking is if the data for those mega evolutions and abilities for Rayquaza, Groudon and Kyogre are NOT currently coded into the games (which I still say since Mega LAti@s is in the coding, why wouldn't these ones be in too?) then battling between X and Y and Ruby and Sapphire would have to not be allowed. How can current games interpret data from another game if it's not currently in the game already? Yes the interview said there would be no patch, and I still say it's because the data is already in the games. Otherwise they would HAVE to restrict trading and battling between the Kalos and Hoenn games and why would they do that? The whole point of the games are trading and battling. (and again, there's coding in the game for Soul Dews so why would that and the data for Mega Latios and LAtias be in the game currently if you can't trade pokemon from and to Hoenn?) Now, ofcourse it defintiely IS possible that they won't be compatible for a handful fo these pokemon between the games (I still think it's unlikely, how would you moderate something like that?) after all, they didn't allow Pokebank to trade or hold items for a reason, and this very well could be the reason (since all they need to do is simply not allow trade of Mega Stones from Hoenn to Kalos games to prevent compatibilitiy issues) its all very possible, but I still choose to believe they wouldn't have done that because, again, look at all teh problems it would cause for, what, 10 mega evolutions or so? it seems very unlikely to me. (and really, if the hackers were so great, how come they can't figure out what the Ghost Girl was looking for via alternate text associated with the NPC, or checking to see what the character may or may not have been checking for in the party or game progress or whatever?)

EDIT: and yeah, the problem WOULD be the animation, you keep forgetting that teh game is not digital for everyone, some people have it on their SD cards (which absolutely could be replaced) but others have a physical game which cannot be overwritten by the 3DS so how would a game that's reading completely from a physical cartridge suddenly start reading from the SD card and start mixing data between the two simultaneously? The game can't even handle 5 Roselias without slowing down hwo is it possibly going to handle reading data for a pokemon that doesn't exist from teh SD card while running the rest of the game from the cartridge? What if the SD card got removed, would the mega evolution be replaced by Missing No? Seriously, Patches are completely different things than downloadable data. (heck, 75% of the "Downloadable" data for games is simply unlocks of data already in the game. Look at New Super Mario Bros 2, the game came with 10 unlockable levels and no more. Look at Animal Crossing, it's supposedly full of downloadable items, but all the possible items that can be obtained were in lists and strategy guides from the day the game came out. If "patches" were downloadable data there wouldn't be limited slots for items and data, there would be unlimited stuff all the time. (This applies to cartridge games as consoles cannot overwrite data on cartridges. I'm nto referring to disc based games as those are different)

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I hope the lack of update means we get a new Kalos game. Then I wouldn't care about X and Y not having the new Megas since everyone would have the new games anyway.

Howmander could be right, but I don't think it's the case since the hackers would've found the code ages ago. They were very quick to hack the ORAS demo.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • What abilities do any of them have that aren't currently in X and Y?

Sceptile - Lightning Rod (is in X and Y)
    Swampert - Swift Swim (is in X and Y)
    Slowbro - Shell Armor (is in X and Y)
    Sharpedo - Strong Jaw (is in X and Y)
    Camerupt - Sheer Force (is in X and Y)
    Salamence - Aerilate (is in X and Y)
    Sableye - MAgic Bounce (is in X and Y)
    Metagross - Tough Claws (is in X and Y)
    Lopunny - Scrappy (is in X and Y)
    Gallade - Inner Focus (is in X and Y)
    Diancie - MAgic Bounce (is in X and Y)
    Altaria - Pixilate (is in X and Y)
    Pidgeot - No Guard (is in X and Y)
    Beedril - Adapatibility (is in X and Y)
    Lati@s - Levitate (is not only in X and Y, but is their normal ability anyway)

Now, as for the weather Trio, yes, THOSE could be the situation with abilities, but one thing everyone is grossly overlooking is if the data for those mega evolutions and abilities for Rayquaza, Groudon and Kyogre are NOT currently coded into the games (which I still say since Mega LAti@s is in the coding, why wouldn't these ones be in too?) then battling between X and Y and Ruby and Sapphire would have to not be allowed. How can current games interpret data from another game if it's not currently in the game already? Yes the interview said there would be no patch, and I still say it's because the data is already in the games. Otherwise they would HAVE to restrict trading and battling between the Kalos and Hoenn games and why would they do that? The whole point of the games are trading and battling. (and again, there's coding in the game for Soul Dews so why would that and the data for Mega Latios and LAtias be in the game currently if you can't trade pokemon from and to Hoenn?) Now, ofcourse it defintiely IS possible that they won't be compatible for a handful fo these pokemon between the games (I still think it's unlikely, how would you moderate something like that?) after all, they didn't allow Pokebank to trade or hold items for a reason, and this very well could be the reason (since all they need to do is simply not allow trade of Mega Stones from Hoenn to Kalos games to prevent compatibilitiy issues) its all very possible, but I still choose to believe they wouldn't have done that because, again, look at all teh problems it would cause for, what, 10 mega evolutions or so? it seems very unlikely to me. (and really, if the hackers were so great, how come they can't figure out what the Ghost Girl was looking for via alternate text associated with the NPC, or checking to see what the character may or may not have been checking for in the party or game progress or whatever?)

EDIT: and yeah, the problem WOULD be the animation, you keep forgetting that teh game is not digital for everyone, some people have it on their SD cards (which absolutely could be replaced) but others have a physical game which cannot be overwritten by the 3DS so how would a game that's reading completely from a physical cartridge suddenly start reading from the SD card and start mixing data between the two simultaneously? The game can't even handle 5 Roselias without slowing down hwo is it possibly going to handle reading data for a pokemon that doesn't exist from teh SD card while running the rest of the game from the cartridge? What if the SD card got removed, would the mega evolution be replaced by Missing No? Seriously, Patches are completely different things than downloadable data. (heck, 75% of the "Downloadable" data for games is simply unlocks of data already in the game. Look at New Super Mario Bros 2, the game came with 10 unlockable levels and no more. Look at Animal Crossing, it's supposedly full of downloadable items, but all the possible items that can be obtained were in lists and strategy guides from the day the game came out. If "patches" were downloadable data there wouldn't be limited slots for items and data, there would be unlimited stuff all the time. (This applies to cartridge games as consoles cannot overwrite data on cartridges. I'm nto referring to disc based games as those are different)

Yes I only meant the weather trio. They each have a new ability and a new move. But I don't see them banning them on friend battle's/street pass.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Yes I only meant the weather trio. They each have a new ability and a new move. But I don't see them banning them on friend battle's/street pass.

If the abilities aren't coded into the current games it would be mandatory that they would HAVE to ban those pokemon from battle with X and Y. How could the games function with each other if you're on X battling someone on Ruby with an ability and form that was never programmed into X? Your game would be incapable of interpreting the information it was receiving from the new game. So either the information is already programmed into the current games (like I think it is) or they will have to prevent specific pokemon from interacting with older games. There's just no other way around it.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • If the abilities aren't coded into the current games it would be mandatory that they would HAVE to ban those pokemon from battle with X and Y. How could the games function with each other if you're on X battling someone on Ruby with an ability and form that was never programmed into X? Your game would be incapable of interpreting the information it was receiving from the new game. So either the information is already programmed into the current games (like I think it is) or they will have to prevent specific pokemon from interacting with older games. There's just no other way around it.

I also find this weird. But wy ban the cover legandary's on streetpass/friend battle's. As far as I know nothing gets banned on streetpass/ friend battle's, but knowing nintendo they will bann the cover legendary's with the mega stone and/or with the new moves. And we don't know yet if we get more mega's/ abilities/ moves that weren't in X/Y.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I also find this weird. But wy ban the cover legandary's on streetpass/friend battle's. As far as I know nothing gets banned on streetpass/ friend battle's, but knowing nintendo they will bann the cover legendary's with the mega stone and/or with the new moves. And we don't know yet if we get more mega's/ abilities/ moves that weren't in X/Y.

Why on earth would anything get banned on Street pass? The ONLY games that use your pokemon in STreet Pass are Ruby or Sapphire, the only thing you get in X and Y are Pokemiles so there's absolutely no reason why they would be banned in Street Pass. As for Friend Battles, I already explained, if the data is not currently in X and Y they HAVE to ban those pokemon from battle, or more specifically those pokemon holding those stones. There's no way around it. (which, again, is why I am personally convinced the data has to be in there somewhere.)

They would rather make X & Y 2 and get some money.

Z. They're making Z. Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde. Red, Blue, Green mixed together don't make Yellow, Gold and Silver mixed together don't make Crystal, Ruby and Sapphire mixed together don;t make Emerald, Diamond and PEarl mixed together don't make Platinum, so why would they EVER have made a Pokemon Grey? None of the other games mixed the colours together.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I hope the lack of update means we get a new Kalos game. Then I wouldn't care about X and Y not having the new Megas since everyone would have the new games anyway.

Howmander could be right, but I don't think it's the case since the hackers would've found the code ages ago. They were very quick to hack the ORAS demo.

Yup, there would likely be another Kalos game. Personally, I hope there is, as it's been their tradition to implement a third installation to each and every set of their game releases. If they were to break away from it, it'd feel sort of strange, in some ways.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • In an interview with Junichi Masuda it has already been confirmed that there won't be a new patch for the X and Y games; regarding to receive the new Mega Stones in these games from ORAS, for example.

They will make the games compatible somehow, but it won't be possible to battle with, let's say Mega Glalie or Mega Pidgeot in Kalos. I think the main focus from now on will be more and more on the upcoming ORAS games, rather than to keep "updating" Pokemon X and Y. In general I don't think they should keep updating these games anyway, because new games will still be made eventually (that would take the fun out of those), plus; they won't have an excuse to develop more Pokemon games I think :3

And besides, this gives them an excuse to develop a (hopefully) 'maybe'-sequel to the X and Y games in the future :D So we just need to be happy with what we've got now ^_^ there is enough to do in these games already anyway, and soon we will be playing ORAS :D

Last edited:

FlamingRage

Can you feel my rage?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    If we're not getting an update, I'd think they'd just make it like in generation 5. You can use the new primal forms, abilities, and new moves, but X/Y users will just see the normal forms and similar moves/abilities. It's disappointing that they're making X/Y obsolete after only a year, but understandable when thinking money-wise. Not allowing users of the new games to use the new features doesn't make sense from any view. Did they give any sources on Serebii? I haven't spent much time on there, so I don't know who can edit the pages or if it's possible someone was just putting speculation up.

Last edited:

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • I still think it's unfair that they won't give us the update even though the game can handle it.

But anyways I won a free copy of Pokemon X! I'm back guys!!

Years
  • This does make things pretty awkward. I mean, I don't battle competitively per se but i'm still pretty disappointed with their decision here.

But whatever they do with the next Kalos game (if they even make one, which I hope they do), i'm sure it'll support what gets introduced in this round.

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • This does make things pretty awkward. I mean, I don't battle competitively per se but i'm still pretty disappointed with their decision here.

But whatever they do with the next Kalos game (if they even make one, which I hope they do), i'm sure it'll support what gets introduced in this round.

ANd I'm sure they will introduce Mega Evolutions for Kalos starters too :)

Back