• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Can I afford to drop Rapid Spin? Otherwise, must it have LO to counter Tyranitar? What about Choice Specs Starmie?

Starmie is not a Tyranitar counter whatsoever. It's just that it needs a Life Orb / Specs to truly threaten Tyranitar.

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    Wailord or Milotic also work great; the former immune to burn, the latter even benifits from it! Both make great Fire-counters. I'll also use Dewgong in addition to Walrein, as Pokemon I can change from time to time, so I won't feel I'm looking down at any Ice Pokemon...

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
    Snorlax is a great counter to most Fires, with Thick Fat giving him a resistance to their main STABs, base 160 HP combined with base 110 SpD, and Earthquake to massacre most of them.

Just don't send him into Infernape/Blaziken.

Tsuki~

Slightly Insane >:3
    Years
    Needs MAJOR help...-.-'

Okay, I really want to get into competitive battling, but I'm not very good with coming up with teams. I understand how to cover all types, but then someone says,"You should replace ------- with -------". I just need help from someone who knows more than me.

By the way, could someone also tell me about the ling of Wi-Fi battling, such as STAB?

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    I'm sorry that this is such a noob question, but since this is the section dealing with like moves and stuff i thought it would be the best place to put it:

So the base attack power it how much HP it will take away? Like you said that Hydro Pump has base power 120, does that mean that against like a normal type pokemon it will do 120 damage? If not, could that be explained as well, because I don't understand that type of stuff.

Tsuki~

Years

Oh, that's cool. You moved my post here, and it's nowhere to be found....

Well, until I do find it...I really would like to engage in Competitive Battling, but I am not very good when it comes to making teams. So, in other words, I could use some help.

BTW, what does STAB mean, and all those other weird terms?

Years

Well, until I do find it...I really would like to engage in Competitive Battling, but I am not very good when it comes to making teams. So, in other words, I could use some help.

STAB means Same Type Attack Bonus.

Basically this means if a pokemon uses a move of its type, say Walrein used Blizzard, it's 50% stronger, so 120 BP becomes 180. I think. ?_?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024

S - S
    ame
    T - Type
    A - Attack
    B - Bonus

Basically if the pokemon is using the same type attack as itself then it gets a 50% boost.

Say for example, a Salamence used dragon claw, dragon claws base power is 80, whilst with STAB it gets a boost to 120.

Ill try to find a guide on terms, iirc there was one here in S+M somewhere but i cant remember where.

Tsuki~

Years
    Okay. I don't really need to learn the lingidy, just the basics of making a good Wi-Fi team.

Yeah...someone gonna help me or what? I was kinda hoping for a reply about...today.

Last edited:

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    At what level is it best to start EV Training? And since i'm not really sure, please tell me if this is in the wrong section :>

It's best to start EV training a pokemon that has never been in a battle before.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    Yeah that's perfectly fine, just as long as it has been untouched up until this point.

Tsuki~

Years
    Just a simple question, but how many Pokemon are you allowed to use in Wi-Fi? I was planning on making a Trick Room team, and just figured I should ask.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back