• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
  • I've been having a lot of trouble with map scripts lately. This one's super simple, and was working fine yesterday. Now, it causes the game to freeze (black screen, map is never loaded) when entering the map through a warp. Entering through a map connection, or starting the game while in that map is fine.

Code:
    #org 0x803500
    hidesprite 0xE
    setflag 0x120D
    end
    On Ruby, using script type 4, flag 4050, value 0006. The value is currently 5, so the script shouldn't even do anything. I tried changing the value to 5 and 7, and got no changes.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I'm trying to insert custom animations and while I'm probably doing something rather simple wrong, I can't work out what it is. :\

Here's what I've got so far: link.

So I changed the pointer to the moves animation, and included the hex for Fire Fang as an example (from the Move Animation Resources thread in R&D.) No matter what it always appears as Tackle. :\

Just reposting this since it seemed to be ignored last time. :(

JoeyBaboey

Charmandasaur
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2014
    I am hacking a pokemon ruby rom, and the battle screen always glitches up when text appears. (Sorry for being very unspecific.) tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j18nqc&s=8#.UwUxCIWrSCg
    view.php
    view.php
    view.php

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    How do you edit the font/text color. For example, [grey_fr] font color is too bright, and I want to make it darker. How do I do that?

Does anyone know the palette offset for Prof Oak intro sprite?
    Does anyone know the palette offset for the oldman catcher backsprite?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • How do you edit the font/text color. For example, [grey_fr] font color is too bright, and I want to make it darker. How do I do that?

Does anyone know the palette offset for Prof Oak intro sprite?
    Does anyone know the palette offset for the oldman catcher backsprite?

In most cases you can look at palettes that are currently being used by opening up VBA's palette viewer and figure out which palette is being used. You can then search for that palette's colours in a HEX editor by clicking on its individual colours in the palette viewer and writing down their HEX values with the bytes reversed (e.g the colour 0x1234 is translated to 34 12 in the HEX editor). Once you have the palette's offset you can then edit the palette with the HEX editor or use a specific palette editing tool such as HackMew's APE. In your first case (text colours) you would be using palette 15 (the bottom palette) in the background half of the palette viewer.

The text colour can be found at 0x471DEC and the old man's palette can be found at 0xE76F34. Professor Oak's sprite is very different as it utelises a 256 colour palette rather than the standard 16 colour palette. I can't seem to find the starting offset for the entire palette at this time but the important colours which cover Oak's sprite can be found starting at 0x461CD4 and finish at 0x461D08.

Charles Dupiau

ROM HACKER
    Years
  • I installed Day and Night on firered using the real time clock on DNS but nothing has changed in my hack, even during the night. Does anyone knowthe reason why that is?

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    In most cases you can look at palettes that are currently being used by opening up VBA's palette viewer and figure out which palette is being used. You can then search for that palette's colours in a HEX editor by clicking on its individual colours in the palette viewer and writing down their HEX values with the bytes reversed (e.g the colour 0x1234 is translated to 34 12 in the HEX editor). Once you have the palette's offset you can then edit the palette with the HEX editor or use a specific palette editing tool such as HackMew's APE. In your first case (text colours) you would be using palette 15 (the bottom palette) in the background half of the palette viewer.

The text colour can be found at 0x471DEC and the old man's palette can be found at 0xE76F34. Professor Oak's sprite is very different as it utelises a 256 colour palette rather than the standard 16 colour palette. I can't seem to find the starting offset for the entire palette at this time but the important colours which cover Oak's sprite can be found starting at 0x461CD4 and finish at 0x461D08.

Thank you. This really helps :)!

I installed Day and Night on firered using the real time clock on DNS but nothing has changed in my hack, even during the night. Does anyone knowthe reason why that is?

On your emulator... Did you set "real time clock" on?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I'm attempting to learn how to insert custom sprites into my hack but I'm having a few issues.

I'm using NSE and I do not wish to add new sprites; only replace existing ones. At first, when trying to open my image it told me it wasn't indexed, so I went into MSPaint and clicked 'Save As 16-color bitmap', even though I used the exact colours that were already in the sprite I was trying to replace, but it totally screwed up the palettes. How can I stop this from happening?

To show an example, it goes from this...

qx3nh3.png

to this...

9urib7.jpg

EDIT: I downloaded IrfanView and did the decrese color depth thing, now when opening the sprite in NSE it looks better but the outline is all messed up. Totally lost here and I'd really like to learn how to get the hang of this myself so I don't have to ask someone to do it for me... any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! =)

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • I'm attempting to learn how to insert custom sprites into my hack but I'm having a few issues.

I'm using NSE and I do not wish to add new sprites; only replace existing ones. At first, when trying to open my image it told me it wasn't indexed, so I went into MSPaint and clicked 'Save As 16-color bitmap', even though I used the exact colours that were already in the sprite I was trying to replace, but it totally screwed up the palettes. How can I stop this from happening?

To show an example, it goes from this...

qx3nh3.png

to this...

9urib7.jpg

You can't, it's paint. You save it as a png, open in irfanview, decrease color depth to 16, make the background color first, paste the original in the new, now it's indexed. :D

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    You can't, it's paint. You save it as a png, open in irfanview, decrease color depth to 16, make the background color first, paste the original in the new, now it's indexed. :D

I did that just before you commented and edited my original comment, sorry, I should have tried it first =P but thank you very much for responding and pointing me in the right direction! OK, I did exactly what you said, but now my outline colour (seemingly the black) is messed up and I understand nothing about how to make the background transparent =/ I've been reading tutorials for the past hour but all the ones I've found seem to be directed towards ADDING sprites or importing palettes rather than just using the same palette and replacing...

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • I did that just before you commented and edited my original comment, sorry, I should have tried it first =P but thank you very much for responding and pointing me in the right direction! OK, I did exactly what you said, but now my outline colour (seemingly the black) is messed up and I understand nothing about how to make the background transparent =/ I've been reading tutorials for the past hour but all the ones I've found seem to be directed towards ADDING sprites or importing palettes rather than just using the same palette and replacing...

The background is transparent only when it's the first color in the palette. Whatever is the first color is going to be transparent.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    The background is transparent only when it's the first color in the palette. Whatever is the first color is going to be transparent.

OK, cool, didn't know that! So should I make the black parts green and the background black? I tried just changing the palette in NSE's palette editor and it basically went worse and laughed at me lol

GoGoJJTech

Years
  • OK, cool, didn't know that! So should I make the black parts green and the background black? I tried just changing the palette in NSE's palette editor and it basically went worse and laughed at me lol

Yes do that.

I need 25 chars blah blah blah..

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Yes do that.

I need 25 chars blah blah blah..

No luck =/ it's still messing up the colours. Would rather not insert a new palette because it would involve re-pointing and taking up space, plus the used colours are the same as the sprite I'm trying to replace. I've even dome the swapping palette colours in IrfanView but it's still going all weird

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    When I try to leave the cave I've edited ingame I just bump the wall instead of following the warp. any reason why this could happen? It's only the upwards facing exits that this happens with. Is there any particular setting I need to change in AMap to make the warp 'work'? I have it on Normal Talking level so I don't think that's it.

Thanks!

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    When I try to leave the cave I've edited ingame I just bump the wall instead of following the warp. any reason why this could happen? It's only the upwards facing exits that this happens with. Is there any particular setting I need to change in AMap to make the warp 'work'? I have it on Normal Talking level so I don't think that's it.

Thanks!

I had this problem for AGES, so annoying! OK what you need to do is open up the block editor, look for a tile that looks exactly like the ground tile you're using, but make sure it has "Arrow facing [x direction] Warp" in the behaviour byte data. Then use that tile at your entrance/ exit points and make sure your warp is on top of it. =)

I'm sorry if im spamming the thread, but I'm just very keen to learn graphic inserting.

I indexed my image in IrfanView (decreased colour depth) and the sprite I'm trying to replace uses the same colours as the one I'm trying to insert. This happened:

eld7vk.png

Slowly losing the will to live here! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    @Avaramoon

Like the floor i'm using as in the actual cave floor or the yellow cave exit tile?
    Also Where do I place the warp in relation to the yellow exit tile?

Finally, (sorry for the Q's) What Movement permission do i need to have?

It still doesn't work it's so frustrating!!

EDIT: Turns out I was oblivious to the tile that exists for the sole purpose of what you just explained!! Thanks bro!

EDIT 2: When playing with Behaviour bytes I think I may have stopped wild pokemon spawning on the ground. Is there a behaviour byte for that?

Last edited:

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • I had this problem for AGES, so annoying! OK what you need to do is open up the block editor, look for a tile that looks exactly like the ground tile you're using, but make sure it has "Arrow facing [x direction] Warp" in the behaviour byte data. Then use that tile at your entrance/ exit points and make sure your warp is on top of it. =)

I'm sorry if im spamming the thread, but I'm just very keen to learn graphic inserting.

I indexed my image in IrfanView (decreased colour depth) and the sprite I'm trying to replace uses the same colours as the one I'm trying to insert. This happened:

eld7vk.png

Slowly losing the will to live here! Lol

I have a video~
    Spoiler:

There are also other one on the channel that show you how to insert the image and stuff if you would like to know :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back