• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
    cubbiefan84 said:
    Please help. I'm playing Fire Red and I used GameShark to obtain the three Johto starters and Celebi. The problem is, my Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile won't evolve. I get them to their required levels and it says that they're going to evolve, but then it stops and I get the message "...?"

Is there anything I can do to get them to evolve? None of them are holding everstones.
    They won't evolve either because:
    • You're pressing the B button while they evolve, making them stop.
    • You don't have the National PokeDex, which you can obtain from Professor Oak after you defeat the Elite Four. Multinational Pokemon do not evolve without the National PokeDex Upgrade.

WaywardSon

the "old school" youngster
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2006
    can somebody please explain what Secret Power does? And also, how do I obtain a hidden power? Thanks

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
    WaywardSon said:
    can somebody please explain what Secret Power does? And also, how do I obtain a hidden power? Thanks
    Secret Power is an attack that differs from place to place. Suppose you have Secret Power put on a Pokemon and you use its attack in a battle on a grassy area. The attack will be a grassy-like attack. While on water though, perhaps when surfing, the attack will be a water based attack.

Hidden Power is an attack that differs between all Pokemon's stats. The Pokemon's stats - (attack power, defense power, etc.) - will make the Hidden Move's type be one of the 6 that are around, except Normal type I think. Its a tough move to properly use.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Just to clarify a little bit, Secret Power does change its effect depending on where it is being used. Here are the Locations:

Grass - causes POISON
    Tall Grass - causes SLEEP
    Ocean - causes ATTACK to lower one stage
    Underwater - causes DEFENSE to lower one stage
    Pond - causes SPEED to lower one stage
    Sand - causes ACCURACY to lower one stage
    Cave - causes FLINCH
    Rocks - causes CONFUSION
    Everywhere else - causes PARALYSIS

Secret Power is also used to create Secret Bases in RSE.

As for Hidden Power, it can be found in Fortree City (an old lady gives it to you), or you can buy as many as you want at the Slateport Market. This is an incredible move, especially for competitive battling. The type and power of the move is directly tied in to the IV of your Poke. You can manipulate the type of the attack to a degree through EV training. This is how you can get a type advantage move on a Poke that you normally could not.

Last edited:

trjessie579

Rocket Member
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jan 24, 2008
    shanecdavis said:
    As for Hidden Power, it can be found in Fortree City (an old lady gives it to you), or you can buy as many as you want at the Slateport Market. This is an incredible move, especially for competitive battling. The type and power of the move is directly tied in to the IV of your Poke. You can manipulate the type of the attack to a degree through EV training. This is how you can get a type advantage move on a Poke that you normally could not.

I don't know if you just made a typo or what, but EVs/EV-training doesn't affect what HP type you have at all. ONLY IVs do.

Once your Pokemon is "born" (or captured, or obtained however) its IVs are set, so since Hidden Power is related to your Pokemon's IVs, your HP type will never change, just as your IVs will never change.

Your Pokemon can have ANY type of Hidden Power except Normal (Fire, Grass, Dragon, etc etc), and the power ranges from 30 to 70, I believe. Since you won't know what HP your Pokemon has until you use the TM on it, it may take a lot of breeding or capturing to find a Pokemon that has the right HP type you need.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    No typo, I definitely messed up on the EV comment. Very untrue and conflicting statement. The attack power of HP does max at 70, which might not seem like a lot, but when it is a type advantage move, it certainly is.

Space Guard

Part-Time Avenger
    Years
    i don't know if this should go here but I have (accidently) put some UK codes from my AR into a US version of fire red. What should i do from here? Thankyou in advance

WaywardSon

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2006
    Pickup

Both my Linoone and Phanpy fail to pick up anything. Does anybody know why? Thanks

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    Either your game is glitched, or your linoone and phanpy already have items attatched to it. They might just need more time to pick things up.

WaywardSon

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2006
    Do they need to be at Lv. 100 or something? cause I heard something about that once, but I thought it only mattered on R/S/E. Also, is there a certain spot I should be fighting wild Pokemon to pick up items?

trjessie579

Rocket Member
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jan 24, 2008
    Or maybe you're not understanding how the Ability works...

Every time you win a battle, wild or Trainer (the Pokemon with Pick Up does NOT have to participate), there will be a 10% chance of your Pokemon "Picking Up" an item. It won't tell you it's happened, the item will just appear as a held item on your Pokemon.

It's triggered only by battle, so just walking around with a party full of Linoone won't work, and like Synchronize said, it can't pick anything up if it has a held item attatched already.

If you're battling and it's still not happening, be patient, since it is a 10% chance--you'll get something eventually.

EDIT: No, the level doesn't matter. In Emerald only, what you can FIND with Pick Up is determined by the level of your Pokemon--higher level Pokes pick up better items, but you can still get items with low-level Pokes.

WaywardSon

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2006
    oOo, I was waiting for the game to tell me that an item had been picked up. Thanks a ton.
    Just out of curiosity, can I put 6 Linoone in my party and have each one possibly pick up an item?

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    Most people mention Linoone being at level 100 as that's when it's able to find the Earthquake TM.

trjessie579

Rocket Member
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jan 24, 2008
    WaywardSon said:
    oOo, I was waiting for the game to tell me that an item had been picked up. Thanks a ton.
    Just out of curiosity, can I put 6 Linoone in my party and have each one possibly pick up an item?

Yep, that's the best way to get the most items.

WaywardSon

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2006
    sorry for all the questions, but in regards to the higher level=better item, does that count in FRLG?
    Thanks

trjessie579

Rocket Member
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jan 24, 2008
    No, it's Emerald only.

Here's the list of what you can Pick Up in FR/LG:

Found Often
    Oran Berry (15%)

Found Sometimes
    Cheri Berry (10%)
    Chesto Berry (10%)
    Pecha Berry (10%)
    Rawst Berry (10%)
    Aspear Berry (10%)
    Persim Berry (10%)

Found Rarely
    TM10 (5%)
    PP Up (5%)
    Rare Candy (5%)
    Nugget (5%)

Found Very Rarely
    Spelon Berry (1%)
    Pamtre Berry (1%)
    Watmel Berry (1%)
    Durin Berry (1%)
    Belue Berry (1%)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2006
    where can i catch chansey? i knows its it the safari zone but is there a part where its easier to find?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back