• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

trjessie579

Rocket Member
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jan 24, 2008
    The only Pokemon that can pass on Dragonbreath to Aerodactyl is Swablu/Altaria, so you'll need a male of either Swablu/Altaria that knows Dragonbreath and a female Aerodactyl.

Aerodactyl has a MUCH higher Attack than Sp. Attack, though--Dragonbreath is a Special move, and it isn't recommended for Aero.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    WaywardSon said:
    I'm gonna make a high-level Aerodactyl, so I was wondering how to get Dragonbreath on it by breeding, or if it's even worth it. So far my moveset would be Double-edge, ancient power, steel wing, and dragonbreath. Thanks
    PLEASE do not give Dragonbreath to Aerodactyl. Its Base Sp Att is a weak 60 while its Base Att is a strong 105. I would definitely suggest you use Earthquake or even Rock Slide instead. EQ is a power move and RS would be a STAB attack. Also make sure to give it Choice Band to hold. Nothing like upping its Attack by 150%.

AERODACTYL @ Choice Band
    Rock Head

- Rock Slide
    - Earthquake
    - HP Flying
    - Double-Edge

That right there is probably the best set I can think of. If you cannot come up with HP Flying, then Aerial Ace can do in a pinch. STAB attack that never misses as long as the opposing Poke is still on the screen. Good luck.

Elite James

Professor James
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2006
    This is a really pointless question, but im 3 badges into LG, just beaten LT Surge.. I have charizard, geodude and diglett, do you know where i can find a decent water/grass pokemon so far in the game.. I was thinking about trying to get a slowpoke, but i don't particularly think they're any good.. I do want to obtain the legendary birds later on, but for now, does anyone know where i can get some easy exp. for my dugtrio and geodude?

Charizard - L. 44
    Dugtrio - L. 26
    Geodude - L. 19

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    My first question is why are you raising both Dugtrio AND Geodude? I highly suggest you stick with Dugtrio since it doesn't have the added Rock type (making it doubley weak to Water/Grass), gets one of the best Abilities in the game for its type - Arena Trap, and has base Speed of 120.

As for Water/Grass-type Pokes, you can find Bellsprout on Route 24/Route 5, and you can fish for Magikarp and Horsea pretty much the first time you get the Old Rod. Magikarp is difficult to raise at first, but that is typically how this game goes. The harder to raise Pokes (Magikarp, Dratini, Larvitar, Horsea, Charmander, etc.) always end up evolving into the best Pokes.

Also, properly trained Pokes can be just as effective as Legendaries.

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    I'd like to make a late addition, and say that the Pokemon Battle Tower also offers a Dragon Scale. I can't remember which challenge, but beating your record time in that challenge gives you a Dragon Scale.

Elite James

Professor James
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2006
    Is there any particular easy places to train up some pokemon, i've spent too much of my time training charizard (l.60) and i have 5 badges.. Just doing silph co now.. I have nidoking/queen, snorlax, zapdos, dugtrio, magneton, another snorlax, pikachu, paras, pidgeotto, duduo, venonat/moth but the ones after pikachu are in there level 20's -.-'
    Pikachu is level 7 lol ^_^
    Caught it in vermillion forest and then couldn't be bothered xD

Elite James

Professor James
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2006
    Another pointless question, but this will help me i guess ^_^
    People say when you get a secret base they "put pokes in them" and they can battle them or something, i dont understand how to battle them..
    Do they put pokedolls in and battle them, or what :confused:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Elite James said:
    Is there any particular easy places to train up some pokemon, i've spent too much of my time training charizard (l.60) and i have 5 badges.. Just doing silph co now.. I have nidoking/queen, snorlax, zapdos, dugtrio, magneton, another snorlax, pikachu, paras, pidgeotto, duduo, venonat/moth but the ones after pikachu are in there level 20's -.-'
    Pikachu is level 7 lol ^_^
    Caught it in vermillion forest and then couldn't be bothered xD
    Well, if you read the previous page here, you would find that the easiest place to level up your Pokes is the E4. If your targeted Poke is not strong enough to take on the E4 itself, simply attach Exp Share, put it in front of your party, and then switch it out for a stronger Poke with each battle. That will give you 3/4 of the Exp points for that Poke.

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Elite James said:
    Another pointless question, but this will help me i guess ^_^
    People say when you get a secret base they "put pokes in them" and they can battle them or something, i dont understand how to battle them..
    Do they put pokedolls in and battle them, or what :confused:
    I am confused. I didn't know FRLG had Secret Bases. Oh well, regardless, what they are talking about is that when you mix records with someone else that has a Secret Base, you can actually go to their base and battle them. When inside their base, you will see a characterization of them (depends on the last digit of their ID, but that is info for another time). Talk to them and they will ask if you want to battle. Say yes and they will battle you using the same Pokes they had when they mixed records.

To take advantage of this, as I have, is you can trade Pokes to that other person that you want to mix records with and those will be the Pokes that you battle. I do this with my other cartridges so that I can have many different EV training locations. Be advised that you can only battle someone once per day. Hope this clears it up for you.

Elite James

Professor James
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2006
    Thanks alot both of you, they both really help.. I actually understand the secret base things now (I got confused, i was referring to emerald by mistake, sorry) and my last question is, do you think my team would be strong enough to take on the E4?
    Charizard 73
    Fly
    flamethrower
    wing attack
    slash

Zapdos 56
    Shock wave
    fly
    thunder
    drill peck

Slowbro 53
    Psychic
    blizzard
    surf
    headbutt

Snorlax 40
    Headbutt
    yawn
    rest
    snore

Articuno 55
    Fly
    agility
    mind reader
    ice beam

This probably goes in the "rate my team" section, so if it does, sorry ^_^

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I imagine it could with an improved moveset. Here are some suggestions:

- Don't use Legendaries. They are only a crutch and you will never know how good of a trainer you really are.
    - Add Earthquake, Shadow Ball, or even both (preferable) somewhere on your team.
    - NEVER give a Poke two of the same type of move. It severely limits it effectiveness. See Charizard for an example. Two Flying moves are unnecessary, especially Fly. Instead, Earthquake and/or Rock Slide.
    - Try to use the final evolved form of your Pokes. Using intermediate Pokes means you aren't as strong as you could be. Since you cannot evolve Slowbro into Slowking, that is a sign to use something else. Lapras, Gyarados, and Starmie are much better alternatives.
    - Use moves that take advantage of a Pokes strength. Snorlax is a physical attack monster. Giving him weak attacks only limits its effectiveness. Instead of Headbutt, use Return. I can be a terror on Snorlax. Also, use Shadow Ball. It's high Sp Def allows it to take hits from Psychic while dishing out stronger hits. Also consider Substitute/Focus Punch or better yet, Curse. It takes a few turns to set it up, but Snorlax is a ***** to take out once it gets going.

Good luck.

DarkThunder

!\X/=|Zap|=\X/!
    Years
    shanecdavis said:
    I am confused. I didn't know FRLG had Secret Bases. Oh well, regardless, what they are talking about is that when you mix records with someone else that has a Secret Base, you can actually go to their base and battle them. When inside their base, you will see a characterization of them (depends on the last digit of their ID, but that is info for another time). Talk to them and they will ask if you want to battle. Say yes and they will battle you using the same Pokes they had when they mixed records.

To take advantage of this, as I have, is you can trade Pokes to that other person that you want to mix records with and those will be the Pokes that you battle. I do this with my other cartridges so that I can have many different EV training locations. Be advised that you can only battle someone once per day. Hope this clears it up for you.
    FR/LG doesn't have Secret Bases because you can't mix records.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2006
    Can I upload my Pokemon from Leaf Green to either Pokemon Colosseum or XD? How about my Gold Gameboy game while we are at it? Can I play Leaf Green or Gold on my TV in anyway?

I realize this is a Leaf Green board, however, I do not see anywhere else to ask these and Id really appreciate it if I could get answers without someone yelling at me about trivial things such as where I ask my questions. Thanks.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Actually there is a GBA converter that attaches to the bottom of a Game Cube that should allow you to play LG, but I am not certain about Gold.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back