• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Skip straight to X/Y?

mcrfreak

Mcrfreak. Is. Back.
Years
  • I'm looking to end a long hiatus from the world of Pokémon - haven't played since Diamond/Pearl about 5 years ago. Should I buy Black/white 1&2 before playing X/Y or will I be missing out on much by just skipping straight to X/Y? I'm not too worried about missing out on a storyline, but more worried that not having played Black/white 1&2 will leave me clueless when it comes to X/Y.
    Cheers guys!

jermgray1

Dark type fan
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 28, 2014
    Black and White 1&2 have nothing to do with X and Y. They are all good games, but if you want to not look at the graphics of black and white as terrible, I'd recommend playing them first anyway. X and Y are far ahead in graphics and if you play it, you will probably not like black and white as much because they are far behind in that regard.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Just jump in at XY/ORAS, it's the most current thing, and you'll have the advantge of being able to go online with them- none of the original DS games can go online since earlier this year.

Also, Gen 5's only major introduction that still aplies is the Triple Battles and Rotation Battles... which I don't think I've seen any of those in XY, but I'm still only at the halfway point. XD

Years
  • While people have already said why getting XY and ORAS would be the best choice, it would still definitely be worth your time to try the fifth generation games too. While they're not as advanced as Gen VI in terms of new technology and such goes, there's plenty to like about them, particularly BW's plot and lack of old Pokémon and B2W2's wider content. But you will still want these new games, surely.

Years
  • If you have any interest at all in the fifth gen games, you should probably get them first. B/W2 are my second favorites in the series, but after X/Y going back to the older games is really hard because of how much slower everything is compared to the newer games.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    I'm looking to end a long hiatus from the world of Pokémon - haven't played since Diamond/Pearl about 5 years ago. Should I buy Black/white 1&2 before playing X/Y or will I be missing out on much by just skipping straight to X/Y? I'm not too worried about missing out on a storyline, but more worried that not having played Black/white 1&2 will leave me clueless when it comes to X/Y.
    Cheers guys!

That's pretty much what my situation was a year ago, apart from I hadn't played since Gen III. I would recommend getting XY first, then if you want to go backwards in the series pick up the previous games. I did largely for Pokedex completion and I had a student loan, XY doesn't reference any past events (at least not directly) so you won't need them to work out the story.

Years
  • I'm looking to end a long hiatus from the world of Pokémon - haven't played since Diamond/Pearl about 5 years ago. Should I buy Black/white 1&2 before playing X/Y or will I be missing out on much by just skipping straight to X/Y? I'm not too worried about missing out on a storyline, but more worried that not having played Black/white 1&2 will leave me clueless when it comes to X/Y.
    Cheers guys!
    I'd probably just go on ahead to X/Y, but Black and White offer a lot more the way I see it. But the online community is more focused on the new stuff so if you want to battle online X/Y is the best choice.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    i was in the same situation as you (last pokemon game i got was soul silver) and i skipped to pokemon y. it is really fun and the exp share is a blessing so i would also skip

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Pokémon X and Y's plot is majorly different (and separate) from all previous generation of games, so if we skip straight to it, I don't believe we would be missing much things, if at all!

Though, there are indeed some things from past--features and Pokémon, for example--get introduced and improved as newer generations roll, so if we'd like to keep with them at a pace, then I believe it would be wise to start from Black and White, or again with fourth gen games from beginning.

DjKniteX

A trainer that is a musician
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2023
    I haven't played any BW games and I went straight to X/Y after barely playing D/P, which I never finished.. but I should.

You should go straight to X/Y for a new experience or straight to ORAS for a good experience xD

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • First off, if you are planning to try out the gen 5 games, it should be known that you can no longer go online since nintendo shut down the wifi server for the ds. You cannot battle anyone nor can you trade anymore. The only thing that you would want from that game is to play for the story and the post game content in BW2 which is the PWT tournament where you can unlock the mode to challenge all of the gym leaders and champions from the previous gen games (BEST. FEATURE. EVER!).
    On the other hand, if you want to play the 3ds games, then I would suggest ORAS since it's new and has the most post game content compared to XY. In addition, most of the features from that game are implemented to the new one.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Not really worth getting B/W2 once you've missed out on them. The main draw to pokemon is playing with other people imo, and you can't do that anymore. You say you don't care much about storyline, so taking that factor out there is no reason to get them.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen today
    Same thing happened to me. I didn't have time or money for games during 5th Gen, but when I got Y I also picked up a copy of White almost exclusively for cross-gen transfer. Dream World and all that was taken down by the time I got it so I just breezed through it to get to the end as a lot of 5th Gen's potential went down with it. So basically, get a 5th Gen game if you really want to transfer. Not as worth it for any other reason unless Unova just seems really interesting to you. I actually played Y before White but stuff introduced in 5th Gen is very well explained in 6th. Plus there's always Bulbapedia and Serebii and whatnot if you don't get a new mechanic.

Back