• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sleep Paralysis?

KieronGames

May be more active
Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2012
    A few minutes ago, I have found out you cannot move when you are dreaming, and it's normal? Is that true? I find it quite interesting.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I pried open my eyes with my hands through force of will when I was lucid dreaming once. I think I was around 10 years old or so. It was a long time ago. I'm guessing it's only true most of the time.

Also, I sleepwalk and talk. I have conversations sometimes, it's kind of weird because I don't remember anything. One time when I was like 17, I apparently went into the living room and told my mom to stop playing Paper Mario, even though she wasn't (she doesn't play video games). She told me I was dreaming and to go back to sleep, and I said "oh" and did so. I don't remember any of it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    A few minutes ago, I have found out you cannot move when you are dreaming, and it's normal? Is that true? I find it quite interesting.

Usually, but not always, hence sleep walking and sleep talking.

Also, some people actually wake up still unable to move, which can be a frightening experience the first time it happens and if you don't know what's going on. It's harmless though. Passes in a couple of minutes.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Usually, but not always, hence sleep walking and sleep talking.

Also, some people actually wake up still unable to move, which can be a frightening experience the first time it happens and if you don't know what's going on. It's harmless though. Passes in a couple of minutes.
    Err...I had that experience several times and even after the 10th time I'm not used to it...sometimes I wonder if I'm awake or asleep...

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I hate when I wake up and forget how to move, it's really scary :s.

But yeah, sometimes when I'm asleep and dream, I seem to know what's going on. I jump right in conversations and I don't remember having them. xD Kind of weird, because you might end up being brutally open and honest, because you have nothing really filtering your thoughts. So you could end up saying something embarrassing. That would not be cool... ;c

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011

Err...I had that experience several times and even after the 10th time I'm not used to it...sometimes I wonder if I'm awake or asleep...

Sometimes you're not quite 100% awake but still aware that you're in your bed and in your room. I dunno if you've ever been able to open your eyes when in this state? I sometimes find I can barely strain my eyelids open.

Seeing as you're not always completely awake your emotions can be greatly heightened and some people get hallucinations.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • Your body is supposed to kind of paralyze you when you sleep, I fall asleep in one position and wake up the same way...it's very rare I move when I'm asleep.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    If you're lucid dreaming, then mostly yes. You suffer from sleep paralysis to make sure that your dream won't be interrupted.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I HATE it when I'm perfectly aware I'm dreaming, and I want to wake up, and I am unable to open my eyes. It's the strangest feeling in the world.

Celebi11

Despicable Me
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2013
    Hmm...this happened to me many times, but not in my first time. It happened a year ago, when I was awake, looking upward, then suddenly, I heard laughing, (much like of a dwarf's) and I couldn't move, and my eyes were closing. I didn't know what to do but I prayed. In a couple of minutes, it was gone. So yeah, it only happened the first time I ever had that kind of "paralysis," but the others was when I was dreaming.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • It is perfectly possible to move when sleeping. I have rolled off my bed many a time that way. I actually wish it was impossible.

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011

I've had that happen before, freaked me out even though I knew what was going on.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I think it's true, but I find it weird.. somehow?

And apparently, I know how to speak German in my dreams.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I think it's true, but I find it weird.. somehow?

And apparently, I know how to speak German in my dreams.

Had that too, except it was hearing people speaking Chinese and I could understand everything they were saying fluently. It sounded so clear and crisp. I don't know any Chinese by the way.

I know that I sometimes move in my sleep because I always fall asleep in a particular position (half-way between on my side and front, with the leg at a right angle on my upward facing side, other leg straight, and cover over my exposed ear). I sometimes wake up on my back, or with covers kicked off, or even with the duvet crumpled up inside its cover so it's just a ball in the corner and I'm covered with this thin empty duvet cover... freezing I might add (it's winter here), wondering how it even got like that.

I think it's a case of we're supposed to be under sleep paralysis but it doesn't always 100% work with everyone.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023

First time that happened to me was the worst thing ever. I think my mind decided to create shadows or something and I started hearing a loud screeching sound in both my ears. Still happens from time to time, but I find that listening to music while sleeping somewhat lowers the chance of it happening. I still can't get used to it, and it happens around once a month now ever since last January.

I've kicked myself awake before because of a dream. Like walking down stairs or something and then suddenly the stair disappears and I wake up with a kick. Unless I was dreaming about that too, I'd say moving in dreams isn't impossible.

Dreams are an interesting topic, though. Your mind just creates reasons to fill in all the gaps in logic. If you see a two-headed man, your first thought would probably be "eh, I've heard about that in the news before" or something like that. Even more baffling is that your mind also just creates all the scenery without any active thought put into it, and sometimes it creates things you've never seen before with seemingly perfect detail.

...dunno what the point of that was.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • but in the movies whenever someone is having a dream they're tossing and turning. the movies wouldn't lie...

i'm pretty sure your body enters a different state when it falls asleep. that could be the reason why you can't move when you're dreaming

Yukimi

Nautical Star
    Years
  • You can't move during REM sleep. It's so your body doesn't get up and act out your dreams.

As others have mentioned, I too have experienced sleep paralysis. I read about it beforehand, so I knew what it was, but it was still a pretty scary experience. Truly not being able to move is a very, very strange feeling.
    I tried to move for about a minute, but decided to just go back to sleep and hope I would be able to move next time I woke up.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
  • Also, some people actually wake up still unable to move, which can be a frightening experience the first time it happens and if you don't know what's going on. It's harmless though. Passes in a couple of minutes.

This used to happen to me after I had naps. Oh God, it was scary as heck the first time. Another time it happened, my phone vibrated while I was paralyzed, and for some reason I heard buzzing in my head and I saw flashing o_o hallucination at its finest. What irks me is when I tell people about it, they laugh at me and say, "You had a sleep seizure!" It's so annoying. Sleep paralysis is not funny when it actually happens to you.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    It's imply a biological reaction to stop you acting out your dreams and thus avoiding injury. If you have a dream outside of REM sleep (uncommon, but can happen) paralysis doesn't set in, thus Sleep Walking/Talking.
    On a rare occasion however, you can sometimes wake up while still paralysed, which often causes immense distress and because it often happens when just exiting REM sleep, the person can experience incredibly vivid and often terrifying hallucinations called Night Terrors. The worst thing about this is, because you are conscious, it's not unheard of for people to be pinned to the bed screaming madly.

Back