• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So Ash canonically exists in the video game world?

dudealmighty

The Very Best
Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    I mean, he literally sent us a letter.

Thoughts? I think it's pretty neat. Maybe even overdue?

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I'm positive he's in the game, especially with something found in the demo. Ever since Ash Greninja showed up, I figured he's probably coming in at some point.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    It's deliberately vague and not intended to tie into anything, imo. Ash-Greninja even has it's date met set to the Japanese airdate of the first episode of the XY series, it's that Greninja that did a bunch of stuff in a different Kalos and now comes into your game (except not your game, because the character in your playthrough isn't the same as the character in the demo). We've seen bonus characters for fans of the anime before like Spiky-Eared Pichu which also had otherworldy origins.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016
    I think its just for the demo. Plus it isn't the first time we had someone's pokemon from the anime as a special pokemon.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Eh, Yellow Version is more or less the original anime in video game form, and considering RBY will be compatible with SM, who knows.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    It's not like the anime has never been referenced in games before. Plus, there really isn't any story hints in SuMo that point to it being heavily referencing the anime for it's own story. We've had gift Pokemon like this before so I can't say anything else than I just hope the story of sun and moon helps make this make a bit more sense.

Years
  • Like Sotomura said, it's possibly canon for the demo, but not the main game. Not much else I have to comment here, aside from the datamine also uncovering a Pikachu that wears each of Ash's hats from the anime.

Years
  • Can't Ash-Greninja be transferred to the main game? If that's the case then I suppose some element of him would exist. I dunno, I kind of think that's it's a special event for the demo but the fact that Ash-Greninja exists in Alola does raise an interesting question.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Hikari brings up a good point. You can say that Ash-Greninja is only canon in the demo, but you can't really deny (datamined info):

Spoiler:

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Hikari brings up a good point. You can say that Ash-Greninja is only canon in the demo, but you can't really deny (datamined info):

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Without spoilers, I raise this point:

Who thinks Ash Greninja is actually demo exclusive?
    I honestly don't think it is.

Mega Glaile and Steelix were advertised in the same way as exclusives in the demo. I was positive they'd be demo exclusives. This wasn't the case though.

So I'm confident Ash appears in the games and you can get Greninja there as well. There's no reason to make it demo exclusive.

Also in the GameXplain video about 10 interesting thing from the developers, Ash Greninja was cited as being in the game to appeal to children and fans of the anime. Children may not know how to acess the demo depending on the age, so having it in the full game delivers that to kids that either didn't know or missed the demo. Allowing everyone to fairly get Ash Greninja.

We'll know soon enough though.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Spoiler:

Without spoilers, I raise this point:

Who thinks Ash Greninja is actually demo exclusive?
    I honestly don't think it is.

Mega Glaile and Steelix were advertised in the same way as exclusives in the demo. I was positive they'd be demo exclusives. This wasn't the case though.

So I'm confident Ash appears in the games and you can get Greninja there as well. There's no reason to make it demo exclusive.

Also in the GameXplain video about 10 interesting thing from the developers, Ash Greninja was cited as being in the game to appeal to children and fans of the anime. Children may not know how to acess the demo depending on the age, so having it in the full game delivers that to kids that either didn't know or missed the demo. Allowing everyone to fairly get Ash Greninja.

We'll know soon enough though.

Ash-Greninja will be able to be transferred to the full game in the same way that Mega Glalie/Steelix was in ORAS, along with any items the players picks up through the Pokemon-catching trial and through battling trainers, etc.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Ash-Greninja will be able to be transferred to the full game in the same way that Mega Glalie/Steelix was in ORAS, along with any items the players picks up through the Pokemon-catching trial and through battling trainers, etc.

I know, that's my point though. The ORAS demo functioned the same exact way. You got items, and the selling point to download it was an exclusive Pokemon. Except they weren't exclusive as you could obtain them in game. It's unlikely that this won't be the case with the games here. Meaning we are given Ash Greninja by Ash most likely in game.

Back