• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen SO many hoenn references

Whitney's Shaymin

Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Years
  • What I find the most interesting, though, is that in X and Y your family just moved from "another region" into Kalos, and the only other game where that happens is Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, where your family moves into Hoenn from Johto! It's an indirect reference, but it's a nice one!

They were from Johto? Well according to the X & Y anime looks like we moved from Kanto!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • @ Rivvon. It could also take place before B2W2...as Team Plasma had that 2 year gap in their activity...though it could also be slightly after B2W2 (as he said awhile back).

Yeah Brandon/May come from Johto...it was used as a hint for GS remakes...they came out around 6 years later...but still a hint.

I like it how they have the artwork of the past regions in the museum...though no Hoenn artwork that actually shows the physical region...unlike Sinnoh (it's BF), Johto, Kanto, and Unova...wonder why...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • There is more than people think I go around and talk to every single person if I see them. There is more than some think. I can't remember where they all are, but I have seen many people bring up Hoenn the most by far. One even said he swam from Hoenn and still wasn't tired. This was in the bay near the Sea Spirit Den.

The reason they probably didn't bring Hoenn remakes out for DS was because they had already had 1 remake for DS and already had plans to move to 3DS so the simply held off. There is indeed refs for the other generations, but not the same amount as Hoenn and Hoenn is the only region we cannot get to on a DS. There is now over about 200 pokemon we can't catch and they are not forceing us to use the Poke Bank.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I'm more interested in the timeline question for Hoenn. It's implied that Hoenn takes place during Red's journey through Kanto, which places Ruby and Sapphire happening at the same time as Red/Blue/Green/Yellow/Firered/Leafgreen. Naturally, this means that Brenden and May started their journey 3 years prior to Gold/Silver/Crystal/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/Heartgold/Soulsilver, as DPP starts as Team Rocket is messing with the Lake of Rage, and GSC/HGSS is 3 years after RGBY/FRLG. We know that Black and White is set sometime after HGSS, and Black 2 and White 2 are two years after BW. Kalos is hinted to be happening after Team Plasma makes headlines, which means that X and Y could be set anytime after the original Black and White. If the Hoenn remakes happen, there will have to be a LOT of timeline retconning. Luckily, we have a few time traveling Pokemon and mechanisms already established in the series. I just hope that they don't ignore the issue and fail to mention it at all. Trading from my Black to Black2 was jarring enough from a story perspective. But, at the same time, I don't want to jump through hoops in order to connect to Kalos, like what we had to do to trade to Hoenn from FRLG Kanto.

It's also fun to muse about where Colosseum and XD stand on the timeline. If Colosseum happens at the same time as RGBY/RSE/FRLG, then XD happens sometime after Johto and Sinnoh, as XD is five years after Colosseum. Also, you can trade from XD to a GBA game and then into Colosseum with no time travel shenanigans. Curse you ambiguous timeline!

Still, I think Gamefreak did an excellent job with HGSS, and I'm super excited to see a Kalos-quality Hoenn. I'm confident that if remakes are coming, they'll probably end up being the best games in the series, with more throwback references than HGSS had, and a bunch of cameos and continuity nods for fanservice. Maybe we'll even get WiiU remakes of Colosseum and XD? I mean, the 3rd gen made a huge jump up in terms of hardware (I'd argue that the jump was bigger than the jump from GBA to DS) and it was our longest and biggest generation ever. Similarly, jumping up to the 3DS was huge! Perhaps they'll attempt to copy the third gen formula for this generation. Also, I haven't seen many Johto Pokemon in Kalos, and there weren't many in Hoenn; we're starting to see a similar pattern in Pokemon distribution as in Gen 3, which required Colosseum and XD to give us access to Johto Pokemon. With no native backwards compatibility, we're in a way cut off from the older games, like with Hoenn.

I may be thinking too much into this, I'm sure you can tell how much I loved the third generation and all that it brought to the table.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2016
    Hoenn references aren't just in X and Y, either. There were a lot in The Black and White series. It's really exciting to me, because it does seem to be hinting at the possibility of a remake, or at least revisiting the region. I would honestly love it because Hoenn is and will probably always be my favorite. I would love to see it in 3D.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • I like it how they have the artwork of the past regions in the museum...though no Hoenn artwork that actually shows the physical region...

Are you sure?
    HoennArtworkInKalos.png

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2014
    There's also someone in a hotel saying he is from a far away place you'll be seeing soon. This is just very interesting
    if you speak to him once a day for 4 days he gives you an item called strange souvenir that is made to look like a pokemon that protects the region and a maid in the hotel tells you it would be awful to throw away gifts so this thing seems kinda important and after he tells you the region is NONE of the regions in the games so far serebii has some info and screenshots of it if you wanna check it out

and also to every one saying there wont be dlc i think they meant paid dlc there could still be event downloads like the torchic one or even one that unlocks a region to visit in game? i doubt it but i dont see why the guy would give you an item in x and y thats meant for a whole other game.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It does seem that there are an over abundance of references specifically to the Hoenn region, then again I've spoken to a good handful of people who talk about Sinnoh and/or Unova. The most significant reference would be the 40th Ruby & 45th Sapphire Anniversary dialogue, I remember in Diamond & Pearl prior to HGSS there was a man who talked about having lots of Gold & Silver. It's similar in that respect but I wouldn't say it confirms a remake right now, although I think Ruby & Sapphire remakes would be the most predicted move for the next set of game(s).

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I'm actually starting to predict a Hoenn remake but with the addition of Kanto. Or even just a Kanto remake. There are a TON of Hoenn references, and when Zizzagoon was my first wild encounter, I had a guy feeling that it was a sign. However, there are a lot of Kanto references, too. Especially the abundance of gen1 mega evolutions. I can easily see them remaking Hoenn, especially because they're long overdue. But I would not be surprised at all if Kanto gets love instead or also.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I'm having trouble tracking here. Most references I've seen don't mention a particular region. There are maybe a handful that actually do mention Hoenn and/or Sapphire/Ruby. All others just mention other regions and everybody is assuming that they are talking about Hoenn.

Post pictures of them actually mentioning the region itself or game names. Not in a location like the museum that references all regions. If you cut out the vague "references" you end up with far less than you think you have.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    There are also quite a lot of Sinnoh references. I am conflicted on whether I should get excited about it (Hoenn) or not.

There's been a couple of Kanto references too (Santalune forest is quite similar to Viridian Forest, certain SFX are from Generation 1, Pikachu uses the anime cry it hasn't used in a main handheld game since Yellow, Mewtwo's battle theme is a remix of the Kanto Wild Pokemon theme). Quite frankly, either or at this point, I think. It'd be stunning if either one of them was redone in this new engine.

I might also mention the Sevii Islands are technically a region and the guy who gives you the Strange Souvenir doesn't mention them at all.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I've run into Swimmers who swam from Hoenn to Kalos, NPCs who are from Hoenn but vacationing in Kalos, NPCs who live in Kalos but have family in Hoenn, NPCs who just say random things about Hoenn, the man who mentions the 40th anniversary being the Ruby anniversary and the 45th being the Sapphire, and then there's Mr. Briney's Compassion in the Luminose Museum.

I'd say there's more Hoenn references then any other region, with Unova being second, followed by Sinnoh, Kanto, and Johto.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    if you speak to him once a day for 4 days he gives you an item called strange souvenir that is made to look like a pokemon that protects the region and a maid in the hotel tells you it would be awful to throw away gifts so this thing seems kinda important and after he tells you the region is NONE of the regions in the games so far serebii has some info and screenshots of it if you wanna check it out

and also to every one saying there wont be dlc i think they meant paid dlc there could still be event downloads like the torchic one or even one that unlocks a region to visit in game? i doubt it but i dont see why the guy would give you an item in x and y thats meant for a whole other game.

My Strategy guide has the info on ALL the visitors for the hotels.

There is a Hiker that Trades you a Magikarp, he's from Kanto.
    There is a Garcon that gives you a Rage Candy Bar, he's from Johto.
    There is a Madame that will give you a Lava Cookie, she is from Johto (she is the main one that is giving the Hoenn references that I've seen)
    There is a Maid that trades you an Eevee, she's from Sinnoh.
    There is a Tourist that will tell you about the Gym Leaders, they are from Unova.

The Backpacker that gives you the Strange Souvineir is from "An unknown Region"

So the Backpacker that says, my town/facility, you'll see in due time is a reference to a NEW region and not Hoenn.

To get the gifts/info you have to talk to them daily.

So the Backpacker in the hotels is not a Hoenn reference.

I did see the painting before too. So we have the Madame, the painting, and the couple that talks about anniversaries. That's three references that I've found. Still looking for the swimmer...So four. I think I've run into 5 mentionings of Sinnoh. I'll have to go back through and talk to all the NPCs again...but I think they will all actually even out at some point.

But sorry to debunk the backpacker...I just found info on him in the guide.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    Nobody mentioned that 2015 will be the 20th anniversary of the successful franchise, pokemon. I don't see why they wouldn't release some kind of game for that achievement.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    the girl that said her uncle lives in hoenn is from Laverre town. her her dad and her mom are in there i think. her dad says something i think but i dont really remember ill have to go check

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • Disappointed the Hiker wasn't talking about Hoenn, here's a screen for those interested. But a new region...and seeing it soon?

original.jpg

You had my cursioty, but now you have my attention Mr. Hiker!

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • I haven't seen just Hoenn references, koff~

There are people from all over the place. Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova. . . I wonder what we'll be getting in the future. Also, with the DLC, I'm sure we'll get to see far more Mega-Evolutions as time goes along. This game opened the doors to unparalleled Pokemon action, koffi~

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Are you sure?
    HoennArtworkInKalos.png
    I said physical Hoenn, that doesn't show a definite location in the region xD.

Serebii has the other part of the guy who says he's from another region dialouge in their picture for Day 7 of their coverage...the guy says "Where is it you ask? Well I can tell you it's not Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, or even Unova!" So that only leaves Kalos...but he's in Kalos so it must be the gen 7 region...either that or the guy is trolling us and he is from Kalos lol. I liked it how the Riches came here...so we know for sure it takes place something after BW if not after B2W2.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • I've got reminded about the Legendaries.
    Ruby and Sapphire Legendaries were red and blue.
    X and Y Legendaries were blue and red.
    Both Hoenn and Kalos know a third Legendary who fit them in, which are both green.

I guess that counts as a reference too?

Back