• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen SO many hoenn references

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
  • In looking at the pattern of facts, I can make a very plausible argument that there would NOT be a Hoenn remake in the near future. There isn't any need for one.

They made the Gen 1 remakes because:

(1) In addition to Pokemon Emerald, it was the only way you could complete the national Pokedex in Gen 3 because Ruby and Sapphire had a considerable lack of Kanto and Johto Pokemon and you could not trade between the GBA and GB/GBC.

(2) Third Gen came out a time where the Poke-boom of the late 90's and early 2000's had ended and there was an immediate backlash against the franchise (as you would usually get with popular fads that have recently faded). Nintendo and Gamefreak were looking to re- kindle interest in the franchise by going back to its roots.

Similarly, they made the Gen 2 remakes because:

(1) The Nintendo DSi and all other DS systems that followed were not compatible with the GBA games and Gamefreak needed to find a way to help fans complete the Natonal Dex.

(2) They had already remade the Gen 1 games and it would only make sense they remake its sequels, which constitute Gen 2 games.

As for remakes of the Hoenn games:

(1) The 9 main Pokemon games that are compatible with the Nintendo DS (along with Pokemon X and Y) make it possible for players to complete the National Dex, thus rendering the need for R/S/E remakes void.

(2) A lot of people on here tend to remember Hoenn fondly because R/S/E was your first Pokemon game. I get that. However, it is nowhere near as nostalgic as the first 2 Generations in the minds of the general public so that it would not be logical to even try and do Gen 3 remakes. On the point of doing it to garner public interest, Pokemon X and Y seem to successfully be doing this on their own.

I must admit, however, that I would love to revisit Kanto, but not in the context of a Gen 1 remake. I'd really like to see a Game based on the Kanto War and what the region was like before Red's Journey.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2014
    i am pretty sure at this point there will be no z game or hoenn the reason is they have given zygarde already so no real need to give another game with that being its legendary and the biggest thing pointing to an actual hint of seeing hoenn has been shown to not be about ANY past region.

Years
  • As I've said to some before, I have spotted more than just Hoenn references all over this game.. but reference to all other generations and regions as well. In fact, I could have sworn I spotted an Orre reference somewhere in the game as well.

But I wouldn't really consider all the excess references to Hoenn a foreshadow that Hoenn is returning, because Nintendo can choose to throw a good curveball at us if they want to.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • i am pretty sure at this point there will be no z game or hoenn the reason is they have given zygarde already so no real need to give another game with that being its legendary and the biggest thing pointing to an actual hint of seeing hoenn has been shown to not be about ANY past region.

Actually, there's a more likely chance of there being a Pokemon Z than a R/S/E remake. There is a precedent. For instance, in Ruby and Sapphire, you can access the Sky Pillar in the post game to get Rayquaza, and in Diamond and Pearl, you can access Turnback Cave through Spring Path (after you obtain the National Dex) to get Giratina.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    i am pretty sure at this point there will be no z game or hoenn the reason is they have given zygarde already so no real need to give another game with that being its legendary and the biggest thing pointing to an actual hint of seeing hoenn has been shown to not be about ANY past region.

Eh...the bit about Zygarde can be said about Giratina and Kyurem. Neither were associated with the other set of Box Art Legends until their respected games came out and Zygarde is related to this generation's box legends. Though this does not support the next game being named Z as we did not get the highly anticipated and 100% guarantee'd Pokemon Grey.

I'm not saying its all impossible, though I would like to be able to go into a new generation without a butt load of fans foaming at the mouth screaming at the top of their lungs and possibly doing questionable acts in front of their computers about Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire remakes. Its a long, tired journey filled with torment and anxiety that really just needs to be laid to rest. Its gotten seriously out of hand to the point that the ones still desperately clinging to the idea are both deluding themselves into believing any little bit of Red, Green, and Blue are hints to Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remakes as well as grasping at any little thing they see.

As for Kanto. Its only been visited twice. The region may be in generation 2 but that is a shadow'd region. It is not a full-fledged region. There was no story for it it was just there to give you something else to do. It is also the motherland of Pokemon, so it makes the most sense for them to advocate it every chance they get to remind people of their humble beginnings. It would make more sense for them to push a remake of it out for the first remake on the new system, but that leaves a bad taste as then they'd pretty much have to update all of the pixel formatted games into the same style and that would take too much time.

Honestly, the best thing for them to do is, since we've been reset, move on and not worry about the old games anymore. Use them to fuel hype, but never try to alter what they are. They want to move forward and you cannot move forward always looking back. Take the Gen 5 reset of the Pokemon world to mean, we're no longer revisiting the past and moving into a brighter future. That's what I hope they are doing as I'm more interested in how they plan to continue to improve upon the Pokemon world as they said they were doing.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • As for Kanto. Its only been visited twice. The region may be in generation 2 but that is a shadow'd region. It is not a full-fledged region. There was no story for it it was just there to give you something else to do. It is also the motherland of Pokemon, so it makes the most sense for them to advocate it every chance they get to remind people of their humble beginnings. It would make more sense for them to push a remake of it out for the first remake on the new system, but that leaves a bad taste as then they'd pretty much have to update all of the pixel formatted games into the same style and that would take too much time.

Regarding a return to Kanto, I think it would be really fun and interesting for Nintendo and Game Freak to do a game based off of the alleged Kanto War, or at the very least, explore what the region was like before Red set off on his Journey. Make the protagonist option either Professor Oak or Agatha. I think that could work.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Actually, there's a more likely chance of there being a Pokemon Z than a R/S/E remake. There is a precedent. For instance, in Ruby and Sapphire, you can access the Sky Pillar in the post game to get Rayquaza, and in Diamond and Pearl, you can access Turnback Cave through Spring Path (after you obtain the National Dex) to get Giratina.
    And to add to this, in BW you could get Kyurem as well. If anything, having access to the 3rd legendary is what has always happened. =p

I would not be too surprised if there's no third version, because trying to pick the next game and its form, or even its name is not an easy thing with Pokemon. (Platinum? Everyone was convinced it'd come out after HGSS because 'that's what happened in gen 3'. And Opal was the fanname, to the point that when the news of Platinum was leaked, lots of people said it was fake on the name alone. :V Meanwhile, not many people expected B2W2, but a third version ala Grey).

However, I do think that one will come out, and that Z is not a bad guess for a name either.

As for RSE? To be fair, there's a bunch of references to every other generation in X&Y too. If there is an RSE remake this gen, it won't be because of the RSE references in these games (or are people forgetting 5th gen had a bunch too, and nothing came from that gen regarding remakes? =p). Said references are plentiful, yes, but could be just that - references. I doubt the mention of Rowan for instance means they'll remake DPPt right now. =p

What I wouldn't mind seeing is a game in the older regions, but still be a new game. A new adventure and plot in Hoenn, if you will. But that's not really a topic to discuss in this section, is it? =p
    I'm not saying its all impossible, though I would like to be able to go into a new generation without a butt load of fans foaming at the mouth screaming at the top of their lungs and possibly doing questionable acts in front of their computers about Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire remakes.
    I hope nobody is actually doing this here.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    I think the backpacker who gives you strange souvenir is from a new side game region that is is unannounced.

For RSE remakes I think GameFreak is most likely will do it since they seems to accept fans opinion more this gen. They also trademark all the weather trios and eon duo. The trademark won't be gone till around the end of 2015 so make up the possibility of remake or Mega evolution for them to promote remake.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • For RSE remakes I think GameFreak is most likely will do it since they seems to accept fans opinion more this gen.
    What is the basis of this statement, curiously? I haven't notice any particular action of theirs of late that accepts fan opinion or the like, to be honest. Besides, some people don't want RSE remakes. =p

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2013
    @ Rivvon. It could also take place before B2W2...as Team Plasma had that 2 year gap in their activity...though it could also be slightly after B2W2 (as he said awhile back).

Yeah Brandon/May come from Johto...it was used as a hint for GS remakes...they came out around 6 years later...but still a hint.

I like it how they have the artwork of the past regions in the museum...though no Hoenn artwork that actually shows the physical region...unlike Sinnoh (it's BF), Johto, Kanto, and Unova...wonder why...
    Or it was the last region visited...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Eh...the bit about Zygarde can be said about Giratina and Kyurem. Neither were associated with the other set of Box Art Legends until their respected games came out and Zygarde is related to this generation's box legends. Though this does not support the next game being named Z as we did not get the highly anticipated and 100% guarantee'd Pokemon Grey.

I'm not saying its all impossible, though I would like to be able to go into a new generation without a butt load of fans foaming at the mouth screaming at the top of their lungs and possibly doing questionable acts in front of their computers about Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon Sapphire remakes. Its a long, tired journey filled with torment and anxiety that really just needs to be laid to rest. Its gotten seriously out of hand to the point that the ones still desperately clinging to the idea are both deluding themselves into believing any little bit of Red, Green, and Blue are hints to Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remakes as well as grasping at any little thing they see.

As for Kanto. Its only been visited twice. The region may be in generation 2 but that is a shadow'd region. It is not a full-fledged region. There was no story for it it was just there to give you something else to do. It is also the motherland of Pokemon, so it makes the most sense for them to advocate it every chance they get to remind people of their humble beginnings. It would make more sense for them to push a remake of it out for the first remake on the new system, but that leaves a bad taste as then they'd pretty much have to update all of the pixel formatted games into the same style and that would take too much time.

Honestly, the best thing for them to do is, since we've been reset, move on and not worry about the old games anymore. Use them to fuel hype, but never try to alter what they are. They want to move forward and you cannot move forward always looking back. Take the Gen 5 reset of the Pokemon world to mean, we're no longer revisiting the past and moving into a brighter future. That's what I hope they are doing as I'm more interested in how they plan to continue to improve upon the Pokemon world as they said they were doing.

I wouldn't say The Pokemon Company is beyond looking to the past just yet...if so they proably wouldn't have made Pokemon Origin's...they could've made Unova into a story (as it's the most current after Kalos), especially B2W2's instead of going back to Kanto and reminding the player about Kanto. Plus all the Kanto legendaries being in this game minus Mew certainly makes it seem they're still in the past...they could've made whole new ones but they instead decided to recycle one ones...and giving them new things...that's the basis for remakes actually...recycling an old game, and breathing new life into it.

Now as for anxiety...I assure you I do have it...but not to the level I had of GS remakes ironically enough...I remember a great deal of people mention every hint of Gold and Silver was a hint to the games. I wanted to return to Johto as I didn't get to play those games. Also the Kanto remakes were actually the first games I played (but I didn't own at first), and they got me into Pokemon. The remakes will be the same in the light of the younger generation. Lol I know how much people keep saying their fan base are the children, so I'll use that in this arguement...they are children...and a lot of them proably haven't played Hoenn...it'll be nice to have them play a region several of us loved.

Also keep in mind...the past can help pivot us to the future...I certainly hope GF doesn't forget the series roots and allow us to return to Kanto, and Hoenn, and Sinnoh, and Johto, and eventually Unova and Kalos too eventually.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I wouldn't say The Pokemon Company is beyond looking to the past just yet...if so they proably wouldn't have made Pokemon Origin's...they could've made Unova into a story (as it's the most current after Kalos), especially B2W2's instead of going back to Kanto and reminding the player about Kanto. Plus all the Kanto legendaries being in this game minus Mew certainly makes it seem they're still in the past...they could've made whole new ones but they instead decided to recycle one ones...and giving them new things...that's the basis for remakes actually...recycling an old game, and breathing new life into it.

Events in Kalos are after B2W2 which means they are like 10+ years after Kanto's story. Origin was made to promote XY to the older players. This isn't a looking back and recreating the past sort of thing, this was a memory to promote the future. They didn't look back on what Pokemon was, they used the memory of Pokemon to promote what the future of Pokemon has in store. Creating a remake is trying to recreate what a game was and living in the past. Gamefreak wants to stop living in the past and move forward to create a new tommorrow.

Punishment

Brotherhood of War
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    It's plausible since remakes are the rage among Japanese gaming companies right now.

Kanto may have sparked the series but I feel a lot of people are looking at it through rose colored glasses. It's true that if you want to play Gen I it would have to be through the one remake via FR/LG. It got rehashed as side content in G/S/C and once again through HG/SS. Though it is just side content in HG/SS it is nonetheless Kanto. Frankly I'm tired of them beating the proverbial dead horse.

So that leaves Hoenn as the only region that can't be access on the current generation of consoles. Though I won't be holding my breath for a remake.

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • Since the DSi, the transfer between 3rd gen and 4th gen died for the most part when they left out the gba port. Not many people probably have the original DS or a DS Lite anymore to transfer from R/S/E and FR/LG to HG/SS. With the 3DS we can still experience the journeys of every region but original Kanto and Hoenn.

This would call out for a Hoenn remake, and lesser to another Kanto remake, but all of the Pokemon from the 3rd generation can be found within 4th, 5th, and 6th gen games.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2013
    Events in Kalos are after B2W2 which means they are like 10+ years after Kanto's story.

Did they mention that anywhere? Just curious. This is because I always assumed that B2W2 didn't take place much long after the events of GSC since both Blue and Red look the exact same as they did in HGSS (i.e. still like kids).

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • Did they mention that anywhere? Just curious. This is because I always assumed that B2W2 didn't take place much long after the events of GSC since both Blue and Red look the exact same as they did in HGSS (i.e. still like kids).

We already knew BW took place many years after HG/SS since you can find that one Rocket Grunt in Icirrus City and he now has a family and small child of at least 5 years. B2W2 takes place 2 years later, so we can say 7+ years since HG/SS. In X/Y we have people talk of Team Plasma. Now this could mean this first attempt or second, since both caused quite a ruckus.

If you're going by the PWT, that actually isn't canon. They just used the last sprites of those characters. Noticed how the Hoenn Gym Leaders and Elite 4 haven't changed despite it being years later since R/S/E.

NavyBlue

Hoenn Lover
    Years
  • Although pokemon are still obtainable from R/S/E and can get to X/Y, I would still like to play the game from a new perspective, in 3D. New players would be curious of this old region as the older players (some of them) would love to revisit it, in a new style. And seeing as how things are being remade lately, I would hope for a remake sometime before the seventh generation.
    For me, it's not about the pokemon, but how you play the story of the game. As for the timeline, that would be difficult if GF were to make these games again. I would love to play an old game with a new system. I am not trying to sound like a Hoenn-obsessed fan, but they are kind of overdue. As Bill Nye would say, please Consider The Following (attachments at the bottom).
    Although it can be highly unlikely for some to remake the 3rd Gen games, I'm praying for it, heh. Little girl who's uncle lives in Hoenn, please do not let me down. :sean:

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2013
    We already knew BW took place many years after HG/SS since you can find that one Rocket Grunt in Icirrus City and he now has a family and small child of at least 5 years. B2W2 takes place 2 years later, so we can say 7+ years since HG/SS. In X/Y we have people talk of Team Plasma. Now this could mean this first attempt or second, since both caused quite a ruckus.

If you're going by the PWT, that actually isn't canon. They just used the last sprites of those characters. Noticed how the Hoenn Gym Leaders and Elite 4 haven't changed despite it being years later since R/S/E.

Makes sense. I just assumed the others didn't change because they were adults. (Then again, I hadn't thought about Tate and Liza). Thanks for clearing it up.

Water Gym Leader

Arlyn Aquos
    Years
  • We already knew BW took place many years after HG/SS since you can find that one Rocket Grunt in Icirrus City and he now has a family and small child of at least 5 years. B2W2 takes place 2 years later, so we can say 7+ years since HG/SS. In X/Y we have people talk of Team Plasma. Now this could mean this first attempt or second, since both caused quite a ruckus.

Spoiler:

Back