• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soda

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    I read an article about diet soda and regular soda and it sparked a question in my mind. Why drink soda at all?

Now I know that sounds like a really simple question. But I suppose my question is a little bit more specific. What keeps everyone consuming so much Pepsi/coke/code red etc?

I do plenty of unhealthy things. I consume more coffee than I should for instance, but why is liquid candy such a favorite? Can't we all just reach for the Pink Lemonande next time we go in-and-out? Is it really just so tasty that geek, nerds, who are known to be infomation junkies, will continue to consume despite knowing that you could clean a car battery with the acid found in Coca-Cola?

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    i myslef only drink water and V8 Juice. Rarely coffe (you can't dip biscuits in water).

I find the sugar levels repulsive, and I hate pimples and enjoy the taste of water; so it was easy for me.

On the news they had a story about people who drank nothing but coke, one lady hadn't drank water for 2 years.

-
    I live by water :) , i have no idea why people drink soft drinks

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Being in England I have no idea what this mythical and exotic "Soda" is, but I shall assume it is the American equivalent of lemonade.
    Anyway, as for why I drink fizzy/soft drinks, it's simple; I like the taste. That's why I have a nice big glass of cloudy lemonade next to me right now.
    I find fizzy drinks a lot more refreshing than squash (though that is my primary drink... type?) and I find water boring.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    i have a giant bottle of 1.25L pump water bottle wherever i go :)

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i dont know what is up with people and being addicted to soda. it really upsets my stomach and i dont like the taste that much so i stick to water and juice....well as long as its 100% juice like v8 and some other brands.
    all the sugar and acids in soda make me feel sick even just thinking about them.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Agh >__> I feel like this thread is directed towards me and my dignity.

I can't explain, really. I just LOVE how flavorful and peaceful it is to drink Coca-Cola. It gives me the boost to continue on a bad day. So what if the acid is strong? Stomach acid is hardcore.

And in my General rule of thumb: No more than 7 liters a week and you're fine. (10 if its Mexican coke)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I do not drink coca-cola unless it's Zero. I drink caffeine-free soda such as 7-Up and Sprite. But that's only when there's a party going on. In regular times I just drink plain-o iced tea.

Soda does have its disadvantages, though. My uncle was diagnosed with diabetes due to excessive drinking to soda (2 2-liter bottles A DAY). After that alarming diagnosis, I refused to buy soda during my time in college, and when there's an emergency.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Marketing.

We drink it because it's marketed as the best/only choice.

All restaurants serve soda as their main choices. In fact, they expect you to order one... it's weird to do otherwise. Fast food restaurants ONLY serve soda. (Well, coffee too, but that's only ever ordered for breakfast.)

I stopped drinking it about 5 years ago, and I couldn't go back if I wanted to. I ordered a Raspberry Italian soda on my birthday last year, because it used to be my favorite drink... the carbonation hurt on the way down, and made me really sick. You obviously wouldn't notice it if you're used to drinking it, but it's one of the worst things you could possibly consume.

And to be perfectly honest... water tastes better than soda. Seriously, stop drinking soda for awhile, and you will actually grow to like the taste of water better.

Last edited:

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    I find the sugar levels repulsive, and I hate pimples and enjoy the taste of water; so it was easy for me.

Your diet rarely affects whether you get pimples or not. /:

And I guess we drink soda because it's kind of like cigarettes. (The addictiveness, not the harmful stuff) But Soda can be just as bad as them, I don't drink soda much, and it would be nice to stop drinking it completely, but I usually find myself buying a can of soda, instead of something like a bottle of water, mostly due to the price.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    Your diet rarely affects whether you get pimples or not. /:

I think he means that water flushes out your toxins. Its proven that you have clearer skin with a healthy diet. I could go into a whole big biology lesson but I'm far too tired :L

I like soft drinks [that's for you Rich Boy Rob :P] but I'm not ADDICTED. I like them as a snack more than a drink if you see what I mean. I wouldn't use them to quench my thirst, I feel only water can do that for me.

Though I never drink Diet or Zero. I do believe some of the chemicals in those are worse for you than sugar.

Mute608

Stay Frosty
    Years
    I love the taste of soda and have let myself get really addicted to it the past couple of months. I do drink water, love the taste of it, but soda is my primary drink. I'm going to try hard to put a stop to my addiction though. There have been days that I've drank so much that it makes me sick :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It's because children and people who don't drink alcohol want something that's a bit more interesting to drink than everything else available. Plus it's got fizz!
    Why do people eat candy? Because they enjoy it. Same with soda.
    Why drink anything except water? Because water gets boring for some people. We all have different taste buds after all.

I personally don't drink soda and I never have, simply because I don't like the taste at all.

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    I think he means that water flushes out your toxins. Its proven that you have clearer skin with a healthy diet. I could go into a whole big biology lesson but I'm far too tired :L

Yeah I know. I just hate hearing that your diet affects your skin a lot, when it really doesn't.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I really do like sodas. Dr. Pepper and RC and Pepsi (and there are indeed differences). But I've never felt addicted to them, and I don't have soda very often anyhow. I never touch the diet stuff.

Also, when you can find organic or natural sodas get that as an alternative. Just so long as it's not sweetened with Splenda or corn syrup, it's okay. Well, more okay than something sweetened with Splenda or corn syrup. Cane sugar, stevia, and agave nectar are the kinds of things to look for. And they actually do taste pretty good, though if it's organic it'll taste a bit different that what you'd be used to.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years

that's what i meant :)

... i guess i shouldn't have had that leftover chinese from last night then :/

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    I have been drinking Mountain New since I was 12 and never plan to stop. Though I think people mainly do it for the taste and in the case of caffeinated soft drinks for a quick buzz of energy.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I enjoy juice more than water or soda to be honest. But I like soda because sometimes I just want something fizzy. I do love water as well, and I know my limits on soda and I usually only have one or none a day and two cups of water. Something like that. And coffee is a no no.

I see no problem with drinking soda though. Just be careful with it and don't let it drink you.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I try to avoid drinking soda...it's mostly sugar...
    I'll rather have juice, milk or water which are healthy for you :)

Unless it is freshly squeezed juice, juice has loads of sugar too and is pretty unhealthy XD

I love soda, though I cant drink too much because it fills me up too fast :/ Milk for me too ;p

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I love the taste of soda and have let myself get really addicted to it the past couple of months. I do drink water, love the taste of it, but soda is my primary drink. I'm going to try hard to put a stop to my addiction though. There have been days that I've drank so much that it makes me sick :/

This.

I drink a lot. A two liter a day, sometimes. Why? Because I love the taste. However, my friends are insisting I eat and drink healthier. I've been drinking a lot more water, but still nothing's better than a refreshing gulp of Coca-Cola.

Back