• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soft-Reset 'Stories'

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Bulbapedia, for anyone unfamiliar with the term

So I've been an intermittent SR-user since discovering the process at some point in my early days on PC.

For example in my 2020 HeartGold save, where I captured every pokémon available, completed the Pokéthlon (with just Raikou, Entei, and Suicune), completed the Pokéwalker, won my first Battle Tower symbols (never realised it was only 21, memories of Gen III being much harder, but did eventually get Gold too), completed the Safari Zone, and eventually IV-bred an entire team for my Platinum save...I didn't. My team have decent natures, except Togekiss which is neutral (but egg-hatching in Violet City minus the bike is hard), but the legendaries are similar. IVs weren't even considered until I decided to reset and EV my team. Yet in my Black, Platinum, and Black 2 saves that followed I planned natures, movesets, poké balls, and reset for both nature and IV on both in-game team (breeding for Platinum was a one-off, whilst it was crazy fun having traded pokémon that should sweep the game go full Ash's Pikachu and nearly KO themselves out of spite, it took too long to get started) and legendaries (although generally settled for 20s in relevant IVs, depending on patience, such as a Naive Azelf with 31...in Atk, but I'm using his 22 and 25 SpA and Spe). Oh, and I sprinted between Hidden Grottos on Route 7 until I got a good enough Simple Woobat. Now in Sword, I have done similar - except for my Galarian Slowpoke which I somehow miscalculated, who has dismal IVs so I bred him with a Japanese Ditto to produce a God among Slowpokes. This is also the first game I've played since they started giving guaranteed IVs for legendaries. I think Timid Eternatus took about 20 tries, Jolly Zacian under 10, and Jolly Silvally similar (although one of his perfects is SpA). Yet Kubfu was another story.

So, do you soft-reset? Any insanely lucky ones, proud moments, or times you felt you were cursed? Or perhaps you've come on a 20-year old Pokémon forum to chastise us for taking it too seriously. As long as you don't break any rules doing it, go for it?

Personally I have two standouts:

1. Black 2. Latios. First time I've been able to get him as a stationary legendary since the Enigma Stone event in HGSS 11 years earlier (recently got some unused when buying backups on eBay!!!!). He's going in a Dive Ball. I have a capture-Gallade "Raylan" (Givens) with high HP and Atk (at lv. 100 outspeeds every legend anyway), Mean Look + Hypnosis + False Swipe + Swords Dance, teamed up with a fainted Timid Munna. Try one - Relaxed (like my first ever one on Emerald, not a good thing). Try two - game crashes as it was bought pre-owned from Game and doesn't like to work once Plasma land in Giant Chasm, hence never getting this far before. Try three: Hypnosis hits first time!...Swords Dance (2-3x, don't remember)...still asleep...False Swipe...still asleep...Dive Ball...caught!

Timid nature - check.

IVs...21 / 28 / 28 / 31 / 19 / 31!!!!!

Overall a good save, my Tepig turns out to be Brave 27 / 28 / 19 / 30 / 16 / 2 for example. But getting my favourite legendary so fast in such great shape was an amazing moment.

2. The aforementioned Simple Woobat was maybe 4 hours? Watching TV at the same time, as I do. Kubfu however, has seen me through most of Friday evening, all 9+ hours of Stranger Things, plus any toilet breaks (the true dream afforded to us by the Switch), about 2 hours of Futurama, 60 minutes of "cooking" family meals (in the oven mostly, tapping 'B' whenever possible to not wear out 'A'), and now 2 hours of eBay / Facebook haggling over Prima guides and about half of the typing of this post, which I was beginning to think would be posted in July!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Not too much. Tried for a shiny Rayquaza in Ultra Sun once. Found it difficult to invest time into something that would never be used, though. Never caught it.

Thought of one main standout, more for being unusual. Wanted an Intimidate Scrafty in a monotype. Encounters Scraggy hordes on Route 5. Stacks a lot of probabilities to actually obtain one, though.
    - 5% chance of a horde battle per wild encounter (approximately)
    - 35% chance of Scraggy as the horde
    - 5% chance per Scraggy for the hidden ability (approximately)

Chance of finding at least one Scraggy with Intimidate through running around:
    .05 * .35 * (1 - (.95^5)) = 0.00396
    (Equals about 0.4%, or 1 in 250 encounters)

Was not allowed to catch any Pokemon with Sweet Scent. Could not buy Honey either. Found two or three Honey, however. Soft-reset to get Honey back. Raised the odds to about 8%. Only soft-reset once or twice.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Chance of finding at least one Scraggy with Intimidate through running around:
    .05 * .35 * (1 - (.95^5)) = 0.00396
    (Equals about 0.4%, or 1 in 250 encounters)

Oh god, that maths is demoralising! I briefly considered figuring out the probability when resetting for Charmander and Kubfu (3/6 perfect IVs guaranteed, but I need a specific combo, plus the nature) but felt by the time I'd done it I would quit haha

Back