• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Something seedy about Sycamore

Years
  • I have the feeling Sycamore actually was involved much more intimately in the happenings of Team Flare than he leads on. I know he's supposed to be the good guy because he's the Professor of the region and all but there's something about him that I just don't trust. And now that everything is over (at the end of the game) why reveal himself, the player has no idea. For all they know you're just an intelligent, attractive, young Professor who also happens to be totally emotionally stable, totally kind and sincere, and not in the least bit narcissistic. An impossible combination if you ask me. There's no way he's for real, WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?!

Does anyone else feel the same way?
    Do you think if he were more involved than he leads on, did he help you for an ulterior motive? What do you suppose that could be?

Serious though, it doesn't match up. You can't be that successful and good looking without being a little bit up yourself. I'm hardly successful, and an 8 at best and my ego is so much bigger than his, not to mention sarcasm fills the entire space where sincerity should be. What's up Sycamore?

Years
  • but he wasn't at the bunker when Flare was about to end the world....

Maybe he was counting on you to stop Flare so that his plans weren't foiled. Perhaps he was also against Team Flare but for more selfish reasons. Why else give you the mega things.

Every female player I have spoken to is absolutely smitten with him, and I'm sitting here telling them he's up to something. I need to find out what, for the sake of 'I told you so''s everywhere.

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
  • maybe in nthe next game we find out he is trying to research mega stones in order to take over legendary pokemon, latios and latias. they arent as powerful as like groudon and kyogre, who just so happen to have stones already linked to them, and maybe he can learn to warp legendary orbs into mega stones, like say the griseous orb... to take control of time and space, the ocean and the land, or even the reverse world... maybe he is Giovanni's more attractive brother.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • but surely Giovanni would be Italian not French?

<p>
    maybe in nthe next game we find out he is trying to research mega stones in order to take over legendary pokemon, latios and latias. they arent as powerful as like groudon and kyogre, who just so happen to have stones already linked to them, and maybe he can learn to warp legendary orbs into mega stones, like say the griseous orb... to take control of time and space, the ocean and the land, or even the reverse world... maybe he is Giovanni's more attractive brother.
    just remembered, a strong bond is required for megalution</p><p> </p>

Last edited:

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I have a theory!
    Just look at this:
    Spoiler:

He is the sycamore we all know and love, investigator.
    And now this:
    Spoiler:

This is the sycamore prof layton fans know and love (or at least, everyone who has bought the game)
    Hmmmmmmm might be his adopted twin?

Years
  • I don't know if his role is important enough in the team flare corner of the story to be impacting. He obviously has history with lysandre but this could be for any number of reasons that seem less important to plug in. I mean he has probably the most likeability out of all the professors and he has probably the strongest presence in story than other professors but I don't think that makes him bait for shady activity. If he anything he has helped you stop the evil team better than any other professor had helped in the past.
    Pro. Oak - has no idea or either no worries about one of the gym leaders being am organized crime boss
    Pro. Elm - same as oak, and really can't even prevent one of his pkmn from getting stole from his lab in broad daylight when you know he never leaves his lab lol
    Pro. Birch - a seasoned professor with 3 starters in his bag can't defend himself from one wild pkmn and has no helping items or anything to give you really when their is a group of criminals that are trying to be geo terrorist
    Pro. Rowan - oh they just wanna manipulate time and space but the champion seems to be more of help to you than him, at least in platinum if I remember correctly
    Pro.juniper - while she checks in on you and gives you items that our helpful like the lucky egg for example her father actually meets you in iccirus to tell you about the dragon spiral tower and it seems that team plasma should be a well known threat because they are running all over unova making press conferences lol
    Now we have sycamore not only does he give you two starters informal and formal he helps you along the way multiple times and even battles you to test if he thinks your ready for the league so he can go set up a massive parade in your honor while you are battling the 8th gym and league. If anything he probably has the most rooted relationship with the protagonist out of all video games. Which could make his character easier to pick apart but I highly doubt he was sketchy or had other motives.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • He's definitely really underdeveloped for a character who they've made into such a likable, handsome guy. I'm not saying that I think in Z he'll get more developed and turn out to have a super secret double life and draconian universe altering aspirations the likes of Cyrus, but if he does, I won't be the least bit surprised.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Every female player I have spoken to is absolutely smitten with him, and I'm sitting here telling them he's up to something.
    Really?

but surely Giovanni would be Italian not French?

Aren't we taking about Sycamore here?

Anyway, I wouldn't think too hard about Sycamore. It's Pokemon; the stories and characters tend to lack depth.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I found Sycamore to be helpful, but I didn't like him very much, can't quite put a finger on why that is...considering he's more helpful than the other five profs...

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I remember when Sycamore was first revealed, I suspected him to be evil. After story mode finished, it was obvious he wasn't. If he was even a hint evil, they would have dropped at least a hint like they did with Flava. Speaking of Flava, I'm really glad she was a member of Team Flare, because we haven't had a corrupt gymleader/E4 in a while.

Seedy, huh? Well he was named after a tree.
    Hahaha, wow! I just got that. XD Nice one, OP.

Eibbor82

Show me your moves!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2023
    Let's compare Professor Sycamore with Aikurou Mikisugi from Kill la Kill. They look extremely similar, why not?

We've even got a crossover for them from however many weeks ago.
    Spoiler:

As far as we know, he could just be waiting for the right attributes to appear in our protagonist. Maybe he doesn't even trust us, or he wants us to discover on our own.
    Spoiler:

Maybe he's part of some organization of fabulous strippers with no real goal? Maybe, just maybe, all Professor Sycasugi is just doing what he does because he just can?
    Spoiler:

Maybe he's just that FABULOUS

Years
  • Seedy, huh? Well he was named after a tree.

So my puns didn't go to waste then? ;)

I found Sycamore to be helpful, but I didn't like him very much, can't quite put a finger on why that is...

This.

Really?
    Anyway, I wouldn't think too hard about Sycamore. It's Pokemon; the stories and characters tend to lack depth.

Yes, every single one. All 8 of them.
    I am aware they tend to be complete ripoffs of their predecessors yes, but this story in particular has really gone backwards. Consider N from BW, so much more depth than Lysandre. They've been making baby step progress up until now and I guess I'm looking for a continuation of the trend.

Now we have sycamore not only does he give you two starters informal and formal he helps you along the way multiple times and even battles you to test if he thinks your ready for the league so he can go set up a massive parade in your honor while you are battling the 8th gym and league. If anything he probably has the most rooted relationship with the protagonist out of all video games. Which could make his character easier to pick apart but I highly doubt he was sketchy or had other motives.

Do you not think he's being a little too personally involved? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Perhaps there is a reason he's paying extra special attention to you and your involvement in the story. The other Professors were very much involved in their own work, why is Sycamore any different?

Also I appreciate the tree pun :)

He used you to take down the evil corporation without exclusively severing his ties to some pretty powerful people. I think he plans on using them later for his own personal gain and until then needs to personally see to it that you suspect nothing. But I think he's doing too good a job at being your friend.

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Well, hes a Sick(amore) professor (hehehhehhhekillmehehhehe).
    But it seems fishy that ppl love him a lot. A LOT. Like, i wanted his pic for someone, googled it and said "Sexy sycamore" "sycamore hentai".... O:
    Sooooo he might be a stripper or something......
    I wonder what the prof layton's sycamore's opinion is about this.....

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    I never did think anything was wrong until he said he knew Lysandre or some such. Then I got suspicious, but at the end of the main story, it turned out that my suspicions were unfounded. Though, I'm still utterly baffled as to why so many people go gaga over him. I don't understand that at all...

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
  • Let's compare Professor Sycamore with Aikurou Mikisugi from Kill la Kill. They look extremely similar, why not?

We've even got a crossover for them from however many weeks ago.
    Spoiler:

As far as we know, he could just be waiting for the right attributes to appear in our protagonist. Maybe he doesn't even trust us, or he wants us to discover on our own.
    Spoiler:

Maybe he's part of some organization of fabulous strippers with no real goal? Maybe, just maybe, all Professor Sycasugi is just doing what he does because he just can?
    Spoiler:

Maybe he's just that FABULOUS

haha, he does look similiar. omg, too funny

Back