• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Son of a *gasp*!

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I think cursing all the time really defeats the purpose of it. Curse words should be used to express that you are fed up, extremely annoyed, and angry. Or to get someone to realize how ridiculous they are being in some certain situations.

If you cuss all the time, then when you curse at someone angrily, it doesn't have much effect. But if someone never cusses in normal situations, then people will know they are really angry when they do.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    I have a pretty foul mouth, so yes I do swear a lot. I don't like to at all, but many situations tend to force me to. Of course, in front of my family, I do not dare to spit one unethical word, but when I am with my friends or even my same-age cousins, it's pretty normal for us and we do not take anything literally.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
    First off, I swear, a lot. It comes from playing too much xbox live I think. But what really annoys me is how offended women get at the word 'c*nt', you don't see men getting all up in arms being called 'dicks' so why are women so offended by it?

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    what really annoys me is how offended women get at the word ____, you don't see men getting all up in arms being called 'dicks' so why are women so offended by it?

IDK, but maybe it was made back when women were still considered inferior, and it's still offensive because of it's original use? I made up my own dirty word involving that one, it doesn't have a negative meaning, and I would say it here since it's made up and I don't see how I could get infracted for it................................ but I'm not going to say it. :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2010
    Simply put, I do swear a lot, and I blame my video game obsession. I destroyed more the 5 Xbox joysticks and I always curse heavily when I do.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I curse quite a bit when I'm alone in my room, but I try to curb it when I'm around my friends. Because I live in the bible belt part of the US, they get pretty offended when you swear around them. Yeah, I know - college students being offended by swearing? - but it's true with my friends.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    Well I WAS raised by my mother. She's not rude or anything but she does swear a lot. I think that they are just words and a way of expressing how you feel. And sometimes you just say it in a joke. Or it might just be a habit. My older brothers are like this. I was listening to a conversation they were having and every second word was a swear word. Which was a little annoying. It'd be annoying to hear any word over and over. I don't see why people get so offended.
    Plus:
    "Get lost!"
    and
    "F^%$ off!"
    Both have the same intent. I think we should be watching the intent of words to other people, rather then the word it's self.
    And yes I do swear quite a bit. The strange thing is I won't in front of my parents. My dad wouldn't like it, but my mum wouldn't mind. So I don't know why i don't. (Although sometimes I do let a word or too out when I hurt myself.). I just realized. She's seen me swear with people on facebook. I am strange.
    I also don't swear around new people (unless they're swearing like a trooper) or to other adults. particularly friends parents. Unless those friends family were swearing, and my friends were also swearing.

Last edited:

SoulAura

☆Nightfall★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2010
    Words do have meanings. If they didn't, why would we use particular words for different settings? They're supposed to convey a person's thoughts and intentions; which actually has a lot of meaning

We have to pretend they do have certain meanings to successfully communicate between other life forms. That is the only reason they even would have "meanings" yes? In our heads these words do have meanings when scientifically, they do not.

To be on topic: Cursing a lot would defeat the purpose of the curse word (Previously stated by SIN) yes your right (; which is why i find obsessive cursers rather annoying.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I swear quite fluently, and I love doing so. The words themselves aren't bad, only the meaning behind them. Oftentimes, the context I'm using the words in are simply to express my feelings. Naturally I curb it around the easily offended, but when among friends and such, I swear as much as I feel is necessary to express myself. Naturally, I don't feel the need to cuss in every sentence, let alone cuss any more often than 2-4 times a day on an average decent day, but when I do cuss, you can be damn sure I'm feeling pretty strongly about something.

Now, obviously people who can insert a swear after every 2nd word in a sentence ought to be slapped, but if you're swearing to express your emotions, or pain, you've caused no damage to anyone's psyche. If you're cussing a person out, chances are they surely deserved it, and if they didn't, then it's offensive.

But honestly I hate it when people try to censor things from others. This applies to women, children, especially. Only very young children should ever have to suffer from censorship, censoring things from any other age group is just plain stupid.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    I don't believe in taboo words. They're just words.

However, there are times to use them. Like, around friends, family, or by yourself. Not around elders, teachers, or bosses and etc.

It's more about being polite with the words, not actually them being taboo.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Somewhat offtopic, but I'd like to clear it up once and for all; Is "hell" a swear word?
    I mean I never thought so, but it was always censored and replaced with "heck" in children's programs (although mostly american ones). I know "bloody hell" is swearing (albeit a very minor one), but hell?
    The only reason I wondered was because I was lurking on another forum where some guy was ranting about having a 'swear word' in Donkey Kong's theme song.

Years
    I love to swear. It's a pastime for me. I will say anything that people deem offensive. The only time I don't swear like a sailor is when I'm around kids of important business is taking place. Honestly, if you are offended by swearing, this is not the place for you. Welcome to 2010.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I swear sometimes, but generally resist the urges. Strong words only make me think of someone as weak minded. Mainly because they serve no real purpose but to be offensive.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Somewhat offtopic, but I'd like to clear it up once and for all; Is "hell" a swear word?
    I mean I never thought so, but it was always censored and replaced with "heck" in children's programs (although mostly american ones). I know "bloody hell" is swearing (albeit a very minor one), but hell?
    The only reason I wondered was because I was lurking on another forum where some guy was ranting about having a 'swear word' in Donkey Kong's theme song.
    Eh, depends on who you ask. I don't think of it as a swear word much personally, but it sees use as an oath so I guess it is, at least in one sense.

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
    I rarely swear, tbh.
    I try to find other ways to express whatever-emotion-provokes-me-to-curse.
    I'm sort of used to that kind of environment though (since a lot of my friends curse), however, I don't do it myself.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Are Americans really known for their foul mouths?

I have no problem with them, really. Freedom of speech. Of course I get mad if they use those words on me, but I just shoot a few back at the guy. And I'm known to have a foul mouth at time. ;D

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    I don't believe in taboo words. They're just words.

However, there are times to use them. Like, around friends, family, or by yourself. Not around elders, teachers, or bosses and etc.

It's more about being polite with the words, not actually them being taboo.

To add to this, I am also going to say that in some cases swearing shouldn't be allowed, just because it's rude. But in other cases, it's fine.

Like..

It's not okay to call someone names that just so happen to be curse words.

But it is okay to curse inanimate objects..like..you keep dropping things..so you scream a certain word..that's fine.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    I rarely swear, usually when I do, it means that I'm rather upset or just annoyed by something to a great degree. I try to find alternatives to those words when I am angry (a deeper stinging thought would likely do more damage that words that have almost lost all meaning), but there are times when I just can't think straight and need to drop an f-bomb or something akin to it.

Despite whatever people think about the meanings of words, there are certain cases where they just are not acceptable and certain people who don't like hearing those words and those are the cases I most watch what I say. I wouldn't mind if I let something slip around friends, but in a more delicate situation, I'd rather keep any colorful language to myself because some people just consider it rude and I'd like to be just as conscious and respectful of what bothers them as I would hope people could be of what bothers me.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    I curse like a sailor. :D I restrain myself at home and in front of kids, however, out of respect for my mom and for other people's children. I guess it's not so much the words that are bad, but rather the meanings they've been linked to in people's minds.

Back