• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Son of a *gasp*!

Years
    Okay, this thread is about the taboo words, such as (censored). So my question to you is what do you feel about them, think they shouldn't exist or just an excuse to say something wrong?

I don't understand them on an emotional level, but I remember reading this article that said curse words probably came from a man hurting himself, like hitting his hammer on his thumb, I guess. Not really sure, I'll Google it up...

Well for many curse words, and you smarty pantses may have to double check this fun fact, you can trace their origins back to the original germanic inhabitants of the island of England. For them these words that are now thought of as taboo were their only words for certain things (of course these things are usually naughty to begin with).

Well when the French invaded the island of England and imposed all of their culture on them the old Germanic language became the language of the lower class (the opressed, and conquered people). So the words they used were considered inferior, and disgusting compared to the new Anglo-Saxon language the french culture helped develop in England.

Of course that Anglo-Saxon language shaped up to become modern day english and the same prejudice the upper class held for the old germanic words are still held.

My two cents: The words aren't actually bad. They mean the same thing, its just years of prejudice that convinced people they are.

Years
    I use curses extremely often. The curses in my language sound quite badly.
    The truth is... Almost all of our society don't imagine their lives without cursing.
    One curse usually replaces a lot of unnecessary words, especially in Poland.
    I use them, when I'm embarrassed, truly angry, tense, happy, curious, irritable, surprised, etc. and when I talk with people. Ofc I use them with restriction, when I talk to women/girls, family. They are good for me. They express more than a thousand words. I can easily express my emotions.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I use them a lot. More than I want to because it takes away from my poetic vernacular. I don't see what all the hype over them is and I don't understand why you're forbidden from using them in some situations. Eight-year-olds hear worse everyday - the internet/school isn't going to teach them anything new. Clearly if you overuse them, that gets irritating but using them every so often should be fine if you're particularly passionate about a certain subject.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    You mean swear words? I only really use the lower end ones as it were like "bugger", "bloody hell", "bollocks" and "crap". They aren't exactly offensive to most people, so it's just a way of expressing anger or annoyance.
    If I'm properly angry about something I will occasionally say f*ck or c*nt, though that's very rare.

Swearing only hurts people if the person in question takes it offensively. I for example don't get too bothered if someone swears around me.
    As a wise man once said:
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't curse out loud, but I do it to myself. As for swear words themselves: I think people say them for a reason, that reason being to get that extra anguish out of their chest.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Oh man, when given the chance, I have one hell of a potty mouth.

I never understood the idea that curse words are inherently "bad". How can that be? Words are really just a group of sounds... there are no "bad words". Bad people, bad intentions? Sure, of course. But no "bad words".

Would it be any more polite to say to someone, instead of the notorious F-word, "Freak you!", if the intentions and context were identical? I don't think so. For example, look at the N-word... you can go to jail for saying it, I believe (or at least get sued). But how is it bad if you just randomly said it, to no one, out loud in the living room, while alone? Is it still as "bad" as saying it in a group of friends? What if you said it backwards? Reggin! Is it okay now? Or does it still retain the "badness" even though it's a completely new word now?

Like I said, I'll never understand the language purists on this debate.

And this is BESIDES the whole freedom of speech thing.

Ayselipera

I don't mind swears at all. Sometimes I think they're nice if you really want to show your disdain for something. Other times I think they can make what you say a little bit funnier. Overall I think they are okay when used sparingly. I for one get annoyed when I'm near someone who uses a swear every other word.

Less is more as they say.

SoulAura

☆Nightfall★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2010
    Where i live, cursing is considered cool. I really dont care for it and to me there just words. What is so bad about curses? Exactly, nothing because they are just silly little words that people began to say. Which is why i dont have any problem saying whatever i want even curse. People just need to realize that its just a word and words dont really even have any meaning if you think about it. All just a collection of letters that us humans developed as we became more and more intelligent. Think about it =)

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    I swear a little too much. I'd like to not curse as much though. I don't ever say the C word though, that word is just...Wrong.

People that tend to curse an obscene amount of times just come as ignorant, or limited in their vocabulary, which isn't always true. Besides, the more somebody uses the curse word, the less of a curse it really becomes when you think about it.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I try not to, though I'm not always successful. The words themselves are just words, but the intentions and ideas behind the words- and the effect it has on how others see you- are what keep me from using them.

BareBones

The kids are all messed up.
    Years
    I probably swear more than I should. That said, when I meet new people I don't swear, and I don't swear around peoples parents/grandparents/guardians.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    People just need to realize that its just a word and words dont really even have any meaning if you think about it. All just a collection of letters that us humans developed as we became more and more intelligent. Think about it =)
    Words do have meanings. If they didn't, why would we use particular words for different settings? They're supposed to convey a person's thoughts and intentions; which actually has a lot of meaning.

As for cursing, I don't really agree with the idea. Swear words are there so that you can express the level of your disdain; bad intentions and thoughts about others. I rarely swear, unless I'm compelled or really angry.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I curse like a sailor. They are just words after all (and basically everything Richard Lynch said). I never understood why certain words are so 'bad' when there are plenty of other words that mean the same thing but are perfectly acceptable. Besides, I find many 'bad' words to be rather cathartic or just more fun to say X3 The only words I see as 'wrong' are things like racial slurs and whatnot.

Obviously I hold my tongue in front of kids or in business settings, though.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
    Use discretion when reading this, but It does sum up my views pretty well.

Spoiler:

Back