• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports Anime

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    The sports genre isn't exactly the most popular genre, but there are still many people that are into it.

Are you into sports anime/manga? If so, what sport do you enjoy seeing the most, and what got you into the genre.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Well, I'm a sports fan, but the over the top antics are what got me into the genre of anime myself. My favorite sports anime Inazuma Eleven doesn't even try to be realistic, which is why I enjoy it. There was Cross Game, but the sports felt secondary to romance in that one. But yeah, since Inazuma is my favorite I gotta go with Soccer/Football being the sport I enjoy seeing most.

Years
    I avoid the genre on principle because, if it's anything like American sports novels (which it typically is), it's full of cliched moments in sports that rarely happen and are overdone in that genre to the point of it being like beating a dead horse. :\

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    I read Slam Dunk, Cross Over and Kuroko No Basket until someone stopped translating. I'm a basketball fan. lol
    If it counts for anything, I read that baseball oneshot by the dude who made Naruto also.
    I also watched Eyeshield 21.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I haven't seen or read a lot of sports related anime/manga. The only 2 i have were both football (soccer) related. Giant Killing for anime and i've just started a manga called Light Wing.

I'm also thinking about starting Air Gear, i think that counts as sport.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I have only watched one sports anime and it wasn't very good, so after that I didn't try to find another sport anime, because I had a feeling they'd be boring too, so yeah, I'm not into Sports anime.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    First one I got into was Cross Game, and since that was a really good one, I watched Ookiku Furikabutte (Big Windup), which I also enjoyed. We actually managed to gather a crowd watching Ookiku at a con. It was pretty nice. I guess Basquash is also on the list. Keep forgetting it's sports + mecha XD

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I watched Buzzer Beater which i thought wouldnt be so good, but actually loved it. Too bad it was only 13 episodes. Loved the animations aswell ^^ I also liked Giant Killing, thought it was very different from what i see week in week out.
    I also read Hajime no Ippo, and been watching the anime recently, think its an awesome mang, but its starting to get a lil boring.

Thinking of starting Eysheild 21 as i am hearing loads of good things about it :)

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Slam Dunk, Ookiku Furikabutte and Dear Boys were the only ones I really "watched". Eyeshield 21 and Inazuma Eleven to a lesser degree.
    Unless they air on TV I won't really watch it, though. Which is almost every day because Ookiku/Slam Dunk airs on Animax at night and Inuzama/Eyeshield in the afternoon. C:

sabapple

Fly High☆
    Years
    Fighting Spirit would be pretty much the only one I watch.
    No, I never expected myself to be into a boxing anime, but it is quite good.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    Slam Dunk, Ookiku Furikabutte and Dear Boys were the only ones I really "watched". Eyeshield 21 and Inazuma Eleven to a lesser degree.
    Unless they air on TV I won't really watch it, though. Which is almost every day because Ookiku/Slam Dunk airs on Animax at night and Inuzama/Eyeshield in the afternoon. C:

I watched Buzzer Beater which i thought wouldnt be so good, but actually loved it. Too bad it was only 13 episodes. Loved the animations aswell ^^ I also liked Giant Killing, thought it was very different from what i see week in week out.
    I also read Hajime no Ippo, and been watching the anime recently, think its an awesome mang, but its starting to get a lil boring.

Thinking of starting Eysheild 21 as i am hearing loads of good things about it :)

No. Don't watch Eyeshield 21. Read it. The manga is so much more fabulous.

Or so I've been told. :U

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Swimming, for obvious reasons, is my favorite. (Well, they usually don't spend much time focusing on the actual swimming in a swimming anime, so it's a lot more like a slice of life anime than some other sports anime.)

Bamboo Blade is awesome too.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    OH GOD.

Prince of tennis

This was the one that started it all for me, personally. I don't even remember what attracted me to it, but I picked up one of the volumes of the manga. I had never really given Japanese entertainment a thought before this series. I read the first volume, and I was hooked! I managed to read the entire series twice online. (I'm so terrible...) I then watched the anime, and was a little disappointed when it left off without the nationals arc. Then I watched the OVAs : P

That was... I think two years ago? Now, I realize that the character is a complete Gary-Stu, and that the entire series is a bit of a joke. I mean, the three gates of perfection or w/e is just pretty stupid. I'm always going to love it though. It's just one of those things I can't really bring myself to praise it correctly. I always enjoyed it, and I'm going to keep my memories of it so that they're positive. I'll still recommend it, as long as they like bishies and can handle the fact that it /is/ pretty silly.

Now New prince of Tennis... is more like a fanfic. When that guy ran across water, I just told myself that even /I/ couldn't make it through that.

I keep telling myself that I'll watch a new sports anime, but I can never get around to it xDDD

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    The genre tends to be really hit and miss for me, especially with a lot of recent shows. I tried watching Cross Game and was really put off by the first episode, gave it a few more episodes and nothing really improved, figured I'd just cut my loses with the series and drop it. Shows in this genre often have really shallow characters and unbelievable physics to the games that they're playing, what with Prince of Tennis basically being what Dragonball would look like as a sport, it's hard to find something with just the right mix.

Major is the one recent show that's really caught my attention, it would be a baseball anime. It's a rather long running show, but the seasons are split into 26 episodes and it follows the lives of the main characters from childhood into adulthood. The characters are actually entertaining, charming, just people I can see myself liking and actually cheering for and wanting to do well. There are no incredibly over the top physics to the game, that's definitely always a plush for me, a well animated game can make an impression without having it seem like they're shooting energy blasts at each other.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    The only one I've ever seen was Prince of Tennis, and that was on Toonami a few years ago. :pink_laugh: I thought it was pretty good.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
    Well sweeties, the only sports manga I've read and anime I've watched is Hajime no Ippo. It's really awesome, I wish they made a new series now, since the manga is kinda slowing down.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'm not really big on sports in general; however I have watched Taisho Baseball Girls before it was licensed (and I did buy the DVD when it came out last month to support the series). Amazing how cute girls can get even someone like me to watch a show about baseball xD

Speaking of which, I might give Cross Game a try because the main emphasis seems to be on the romance.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    That depends, do card games, Mahjong, spinning tops and martial arts count as sport. If yes then I've seen Yugioh, Saki, Beyblades and Dragonball. Although it's not quite the same but I like it when Slice of Life series have a sports festival arc. I also read Good Ending where Tennis isn't the main point but it's like a catalyst for the story's progression.

I guess for sport anime/manga I'm not really into the sport itself, I'm into the story and the sport just happens to be a main point in it.

Back