• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Square-Enix Fan Club

Cid

Years
Simply checking back at PokeCommunity to post the final(?) English trailer (based on the Japanese ones, that is) for Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

What do you guys think?

Not hearing Simple and Clean was disappointing (especially because it was replaced by an unfamiliar music a bit too louder that the others in the rest of the trailer)...and slightly worries me. Had they not acquired rights to put the song in the game? I hope not. It's there in the Final-er version. Yay. \o/

Now then, regarding the VAs, I'm alright with everyone from the Disney franchises. MX sounds odd, but not particularly awful, while Eraqus sounds okay. I'm not so sure that I'm liking Terra's voice thus far, though I'd probably get used to it, judging from I'm already used to hearing Aqua's monotonous lines. Ventus was well portrayed, maybe because Jesse McCartney has been doing it for awhile. And of course, Vanitas and his evil laugh = WIN.
Spoiler:

Now then, I'm off to inactivity.
Cid's EDIT: I replaced the vid with the Final-er version, which I believe has softer music so their lines can be heard more. Oh and Simple and Clean is there, so I'm not worried anymore. :D

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I haven't seen the latest trailer yet and I'm not sure I'll bother. ('Cause I only seem to remember it exists when I'm at work and I can't watch it here.)

But I agree with you on MX's voice sounding weird. Not bad but... it'll take some getting used to. D: I'm a little iffy on Terra's but I think it'll be fine. Still hating on Aqua's though. XD; I don't think I'll ever get used to it and I don't want to get used to it. I hope when I think about her, her voice is still her Japanese voice in my head after this. D: But yes, Ven and Vanitas are awesome, as expected. 8)

Guuuys release date is getting close! :D

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
Years
Indeed we are.
I still like Aqua's voice, just not how its portrayed. Its a similar case to how I felt about Aerith's KHII and Advent Children voice when Mena Suvari (or something like that) did her voice.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Aaaaah
It's so close.. ; ;

Even though, my and my wonderful poor self will be lucky to play it by the time Kingdom Hearts 4: Birth By Sleep: Ultimate Melee Brawl: RE:Coded II - The Director's Cut releases. 8D; In other words, possibly never.

-watches the trailer-
fffff, I love their voices. Aqua sounds pretty. =w=

That game looks so awesome..

Cherrim

Years
Okay I remembered to watch it. XD

I'm a little iffy on Terra's voice now but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Loooove Vanitas's voice though. n_n That evil laugh was ace, ahaha.

Cid

Years
Sorry for forgetting to add the spoiler tag. :O

Still hating on Aqua's though. XD; I don't think I'll ever get used to it and I don't want to get used to it. I hope when I think about her, her voice is still her Japanese voice in my head after this. D:
I do miss her Japanese voice, but the girl who did her voice can definitely improve. She got a few lines right in the trailer IMO, actually. Her voice sounds pretty, too, so I'm sure she can do even better next time (when Aqua makes another appearance).

Indeed we are.
I still like Aqua's voice, just not how its portrayed. Its a similar case to how I felt about Aerith's KHII and Advent Children voice when Mena Suvari (or something like that) did her voice.
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe she's not used to the long and grueling sessions of voice acting in dialogue-filled games like these.

Oh, and I'm still loving Vanitas's laugh. :D

Last edited:

Axєl

→ enveloping flames;
Years
That whole trailer is a fangasm. XD

Why does Aqua's voice sound so familiar?

I mean, I love it, but it doesn't sound like she's been voice acting for long.

> > Hard to think I've heard her anywhere before.

Cherrim

Years
I think she had a role on Gossip Girls or something. *shrug*

And I still just... don't like the voice. :( She mumbles too much and, in trailers at least, sometimes I find it hard to tell what she's saying with the music in the background and whatnot. It just... I don't think it fits her at all. >_<

Cherrim

Years

And I still just... don't like the voice. :( She mumbles too much and, in trailers at least, sometimes I find it hard to tell what she's saying with the music in the background and whatnot. It just... I don't think it fits her at all. >_<

Cid

Years

Well, I guess everyone's got their own opinions about the voices. I'm still hoping that she'd improve in the later titles (judging from how this isn't a console game and that they'd pay closer attention to the VAs in the console ones...because IMO KH2 was well done). There are a couple of other lines not shown in the trailer that could still save her, though it depends on how she'd portray those lines.

I did hear from Kingdom Hearts Insider's podcast interviewing Axel's English VA (Quinton Flynn) that the VAs have a hard time portraying the voices, especially if you're not used to it (maybe choosing a more experienced voice actress for Aqua would be a better idea), 'cause apparently the guys who record their voices only tell them a glimpse of what was happening, or even simply the emotion that you were supposed to give when saying the line. They also weren't able to record at same intervals, so that explains how some conversations in the game lack coherence.

Still, some guys were well portrayed (Ventus, Vanitas, the Disney characters) and I'm surprised how close Bret Iwan's portrayal for Mickey sounds.

Cherrim

Years
Oh, I know that. :( I have utmost respect for voice actors of video games because it is SO MUCH HARDER than voice acting for most cartoons or movies. Or typical dubbing. But while her voice actress might do an okay job at the actual voice acting, I just don't think the voice is a match. D: Often, if you compare English and Japanese voices, save a few mishaps (iirc I think Xion's voice didn't match up as much as I wanted), they often sound very similar.

I just think the fact that she often sounds like she's mumbling (even in really important scenes when she's shouting!) and she doesn't articulate her words as much sort of offsets the sheer confidence her character has. :( I could deal with the lowered tone since a lot of Western girls have lower voices than (especially media-portrayed) Japanese females but... not the mumbling. (And I'm pretty sure I've isolated that, yes, it's the lack of clarity in all the lines that bothers me about Aqua's English voice. xD)

And also, I think they're paying close attention to the voice casting for this game--they wouldn't throw down the money to get the big names they did (Nemoy? srsly?) if they weren't taking it seriously. :s So what we hear here is probably going to be on-par with any appearances of these characters in future games, full-fledged console entries or not. n_n;

Also! The full gamescon trailer with Simple & Clean has been released. It's easier to hear people (supposedly). XD I haven't watched it but here it is regardless, since I know some people were complaining about the music!

Spoiler:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
Between this and the new Nippon Ichi games, I may well get a PSP.
*3DS*
Oh wait. Never mind.

The final trailer is spectacular, though! Somebody looks like they're using Ethereal Blades around 6:10...

Last edited:

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
Years
Between this and the new Nippon Ichi games, I may well get a PSP.
*3DS*
Oh wait. Never mind.

The final trailer is spectacular, though! Somebody looks like they're using Ethereal Blades around 6:10...
Birth by Sleep and Dissidia Final Fantasy were all the reasons I needed to get a PSP, but I also managed to find Darkstalkers Chronicle, Maverick Hunter X, and my friend gave me Crisis Core: FFVII, so I'm happy.

Thats the new secret boss they've added into the NA/EU BbS, he seems very similar to Xemnas, maybe he's some form of Xehanort.

Cid

Years
Birth by Sleep and Dissidia Final Fantasy were all the reasons I needed to get a PSP, but I also managed to find Darkstalkers Chronicle, Maverick Hunter X, and my friend gave me Crisis Core: FFVII, so I'm happy.

Thats the new secret boss they've added into the NA/EU BbS, he seems very similar to Xemnas, maybe he's some form of Xehanort.
That's funny. We've got the exact same reasons for buying the PSP, BbS and DFF. Curious, curious.

Also, according to Kingdom Hearts Insider, Terra's voice actor is Jason Dohring. Yeah, I don't know him either.
KHInsider said:
Speculation over who exactly is voicing Terra has been been going on since the very first trailer, with some pretty wacky results (Christian Bale, anyone?). Now we FINALLY have the answer: Jason Dohring! It seems all of the guessing was for nothing, as he confirmed it in a radio interview nearly six months ago. Take a look:
Interviewer: The most obvious question ever - what are you working on right now, and is there anything that we should be looking for soon that you're going to be in?
Jason Dohring: Okay, right on, so it's pilot season right now and I've been going out - I think I went out every day last week, and I had a couple of them that are moving forward so I should have - I'm hoping to have one in the next three weeks or whatever? I hope so, and I'll definitely let you guys know of... and I'm doing a... there's a... uh... video game for Disney that I've been working on for like the last three and a half weeks?
And yeah, it's, like, really cool, because I have scenes with Cinderella and Snow White and, uh, Chip and Dale, because it's like a Disney... it's like a dark Disney video game? And it's sold 500,000 copies already in Japan a month ago.
Yeah, it's really a big thing, so... but, yeah, it's cool, because I get to play a hero, and I'm really learning stuff about acting just from doing voiceover, which is incredible, like, wow, man, I'm really understanding what it's going to be like with a type of role like that. Just what his morality's like, and standing up for anybody, and having one drive, and it's just to do good and make things go right and, you know, I'm really enjoying it.
And I'm also wondering who that secret NA exclusive Org. XIII hooded boss really is.

Off-topic: Is Maverick Hunter X a great PSP game? I'm sort of trying to find more games worthy of playing in the PSP.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Yes, I also need PSP games. I don't have any. I got it for BBS, Dissidia.. etc. But i don;t have any games. :3
EDIT: Did anyone else notice that Ventus(idk) looks exacttly like Roxas?.

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
Years
Yeah, the reason why Ven looks like Roxas is more or less shown in his ending.

Off Topic: If you like the original MegaMan X for the SNES, you'll like Maverick Hunter X, since its a 3D remake of it. However, you can also unlock Vile as a playable character with his own story.

Back