• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Standard tournament play

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2016
    When does a card go illegal in standard tournaments. I have 2014 and 2015 cup cards. Is it when sun moon comes out or after so many years.

Years
    When does a card go illegal in standard tournaments. I have 2014 and 2015 cup cards. Is it when sun moon comes out or after so many years.

Typically, about 2 or 3 years after a card's release, or at least, the next "rotation", which is basically just a point in time each year where The Pokemon Company will choose to make the oldest handful of Standard legal sets not legal in Standard. The most recent one happened back on September 1st, and it rotated out the 4 sets released in 2014. The next one will probably happen on September 1st, 2017, removing all 4 sets released in 2015 from the Standard format.

Keep in mind that as of right now, all of those sets are still legal in the Expanded format, which some tournaments use.

Years
    rotation keeps blocks from exactly 2 years ago, why it feels like 3 for some is because of the re-prints. Rotation is always based off of block, so each year we always get about 4 sets to a block, because of the 20th anniversary we get 6, generations and evolution's, and every year we gain 4 and rotate 4. Sometimes things happen were they rotate 3 or whole gen's but those are usually to keep cards in format or for ruling compendium. https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-tcg-format-rotation-for-2017/

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    I mean, there have been a COUPLE weird years, 2013 standard rotated out CoL despite being the first set of the year to allow for a BW On format, but yeah, that is true (XY, PC [ORAS] and likely SM were/will be delayed from their November game release so that they could be the first TCG set of the following year).

The important point that everyone above somehow missed is the current standard format being Primal Clash (again, effectively the ORAS Base set) On.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Primal Clash, Roaring Skies, Double Crisis and Ancient Origins would be the next 4 we're likely to lose, right?

Back