• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Starting pokemon sapphire

Years
  • i think mudkip is best of those.....take what you want.....none of those sucks...
    ...and before you chose...save the game.....then take that one which you
    want....if it isnt female one...load game as long as you get female one....

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    The easiest to start with is Mudkip, and the most difficult is Torchic. I would suggest your first game you take Mudkip. ^_^

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Mudkip is the easiest. You are part water for the first gym, and you have ground type later as you evolve for the 3rd gym (against Magneton with ground attacks and electric immunity it's very helpful). It remains to be a powerful Pokemon throughout the rest of the gyms (fire gym, psychic/rock gym and etc)

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    The good thing about torchic is he can beat Wattson easy, and will be a valuable ally for the hard battle with Norman

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • when i fight Roxanne i evolved my starter already... so if i used Torchic i would have a part fighting pokemon to do my biddings... plus sheer power will knock out Nosepass easily.

With peck Brawly is a joke...

Wattson is a mismatch... you win automatically with torchic family

Flannery is another easy target. Since you're both fire, now it depends on your other attacks. With double kick as a second attack + STAB, you have a big advantage against the slugmas. Torkoal maybe harder because of body slam but once again high level does everything

Norman the hardest gym leader (imho) will be easy too with fighting attacks on your side... After norman any ingame battle is a breeze with the right levels (even if you're going against the odds such as Sceptile vs Altaria which isn't that hard at all actually)

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • (cough cough catch 5 zigzagoon for early item farming cough cough)

as long as ingame you can always challenge against the odds and still remains victorious... as long as you got the right level. It's rather funny to see a chikorita defeating 3 dragonites in a row back in GSC ^_^

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
    Years
  • unhappy pineapple said:
    I chose Torchic. For the beginning of the game, its ok if you just catch other Pokemon to make up for the disadvantage, like I think my starting team was:

Torchic
    Zigzagoon
    Wingull
    Shroomish
    Ralts

Heh, I chose Torchic, too. It was really hard training it, but it's one powerful little bird once its level increases (as does most Pokemon ?_?;). I don't remember it much 'cause the last I played it was in middle to late July. Kyogre is level 42...or 46 *memory blockage again* when you find it in the pits of the cave. Capture it with the master ball you received earlier in the game and you'll have one heck of a water/ice Pok?mon. Be sure to capture a Lotad!! It was my third best Pok?mon. It is half grass and half water type and its Rain Dish raises its HP when it rains during a battle. Well, now I feel dumb because I got WAY off subject but, like everyone else mentioned...Mudkip's the best bet!

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    It's level forty actually. It's cool to catch it in a Pok?ball, but the Master Ball is a lot easier. Then again, you pay for it later when trying to get the Eon Pok?mon on your game.

DragonTrainer

Shiver me timbers!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    I remember when I used my master ball on Rayquaza, then I ran into Latias........I spent weeks trying to catch it.

Dragon Man

Milk and Cookies!
    Years
  • I chose Treecko. Now it is Sceptile at around level 65. It's easy to beat Roxanne, Wattson, Wallace, Tate and Liza and maybe another. But I never played with Torchic or Mudkip so I don't know. Just something that I got from the Players Guide:
    Treecko evolves to Grovyle at level 16 and Grovyle evolves into Sceptile at level 36. Treecko knows pound and leer to start. It learns absorb at level 6, quick attack at level 11, pursuit at level 16, screech at level 21, mega drain at level 26, agility at level 31, slam at level 36, detect at level 41 and giga drain at level 46. Grovyle can learn fury cutter at level 16, pursuit at level 17, screech at level 23, leaf blade at level 29, agility at level 25, slam at level 41, detect at level 47 and false swipe at level 53. Sceptile can learn slam at level 43, detect at level 51 and false swipe at level 59.
    Torchic evolves to Combusken at level 16 and Combusken to Blaziken at level 36. Torchic knows scratch and growl to start with and learns focus energy at level 7, ember at level 11, peck at level 16, fire spin at level 25, quick attack at level 28, slash at level 34, mirror move at level 37 and flamethrower at level 43. combusken learns double kick at level 16, peck at level 17, sand attack at level 21, bulk up at level 28, quick attack at level 32, slash at level 39, mirror move at level 43 and sky uppercut at level 50. blaziken learns blaze kick at level 36, slash at level 42, mirror move at level 49 and sky uppercut at level 59.
    Mudkip evolves into Marshtomp at level 16 and Marshtomp evolves to Swampert at level 36. Mudkip knows tackle and growl to start with. it learns mud slap at level 6, water gun at level 10, bide at level 15, foresight at level 19, mud sport at level 24, take down at level 28, whirlpool at level 33, protect at level 37, hydro pump at level 42 and endeavor at level 46. marshtomp learns mud shot at level 16, foresight at level 20, mud sport at level 25, take down at level 31, muddy water at level 37, protect at level 42, earthquake at level 46 and endeavor at level 53. swampert can learn muddy water at level 39, protect at level 46, earthquake at level 52 and endeavor at level 61.
    Sorry if I wrote too much! :nervous:

Chibi_Naruto

hidden leafs #1 prankster
    Years
  • thanx for the tips you all but i chose mudkip and now she is at lvl 32
    moves are take-down,surf,mud-sport and rock-tomb il let her evolve at lvl 42 and then teach her some moves at the move-tutor.

Years
  • I chose Mudkip, but it was really hard when I fought the Elite 4. I was stupid and trained only Mudkip and nothing else. I won after 6 times after buying a few Revives and Potions. My brother was stupider and bought 51 Revives and 51 Max Potions. For catching latias it was hard but I finally found the sky pillar and caught a Golbat that knew Mean Look, and then the Latias couldnt escape.

Years
  • hi peeps im new to ruby and i thought groudon was the main big pokemon at the end(like Mew2 in blue+red) and i used the masterball on it, was that a good idear?

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    No, Rayquaza is the big on on both versions. However, in each version there is a Pok?mon that moves randomly from place to place on the map and runs. That is by far your best place to use the Masterball. Latios in Ruby and Latias in Sapphire.

Back