• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Still Pokémon at heart?

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • The gameplay itself felt like any other Pokemon game.

Storyline, however, felt much better than any previous game.
    I played with kanji mode, so I have no idea how hiragana/katakana only mode was like regarding text, but the things said by the characters actually sounded good, and it was nice to see how some younger characters had lines in hiragana and katakana only to reflect age.

Breaking the "traditional" Pokemon story progression was fresh too. Didn't expect the game to end that way.

Although I think Gamefreak went a bit over the top with the mildly suggestive lines.
    I thought I was playing a different game when looking at the ferris wheel event for the first time.
    This isn't Love Plus, this is Pokemon for gods sake.

[edit]
    And the Battle Subway. We have NPCs with Jojo character names.
    We also have a lass who says "this is my first time... be kind ok?", then "... ow, that hurt a bit."

I would LOL if those references are kept for the U.S. release. I guess the games are getting mature...

It's a mixture. I felt like a little kid again at first. I didn't know anything I was fighting and I was all sparkly-eyed, just like back with the first generations. The new Pokemon, places, battle style. It made me wanna play Red again, but I also felt like I was playing Red, if you get me. Just the freshness of starting over again. And it blew my mind to see what Pokemon has become. I honestly felt like I was playing the best game in the entire series.

That is exactly the sensation I want to feel when I play the third version of BW... except all these darn spoilers are ruining it for me! :cer_cry: *sigh* A simultaneous worldwide release would alleviate so much suffering...

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Well, according to me it's something new. The feeling of starting a fresh adventure with all new Pokemon is thrilling in itself. It's interesting the way we have 3 rivals and so many rival battles, it makes things more fun. In my opinion this is one of the best Pokemon games, if not the best.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    That is exactly the sensation I want to feel when I play the third version of BW... except all these darn spoilers are ruining it for me! :cer_cry: *sigh* A simultaneous worldwide release would alleviate so much suffering...

You'd think with the popularity of the games, they'd try to do something like a simultaneous worldwide release (boy thats a mouthful.)

I haven't had a chance to play the game yet, but I imagine that what kohei said about the storyline is what I'll feel really changed the heart of the game, or at least part of the heart haha. Apart from that, I think it'll remain to its core what the previous Pokemon games felt like. All the new features and Pokemon simply help give it a fresh feel.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    I feel that the pokemon are to unrealistic. I much prefered it when pokemon actually looked like animals, and weren't super powerful gods! I guess 4th gen kind of ruined the feeling of pokemon for me, but this just about puts the icing on the cake. I will probably play it anyway though, because it's pokemon :P

austin00081

young money
    Years
  • I feel like this Generation has done something more than the rest, take the main conflict to the very end of the game. In every past Pokemon game you usually beat the evil Team before heading off to the E4, however, in this Gen, things run differently. I'm not going to spoil anymore...

Eagledelt

=)?
    Years
  • This is Pokemon. Dot. Just a few changes from the previous games that were made to give a fresh air to something that has been done in the past. New Pokemon, obvious, a new region, characters and everything else are needed to keep Pokemon alive. Yes, Black and White are Pokemon ^-^

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    Well the aesthetics changed, maximally.
    Its what happens when new tech is discovered and implemented, similar to when color was introduced with the GBC, when fine lines and advanced looks was introduced with the GBA, and when we received major 3d upgrades with the DS.

Its just jabber that people are confused why this was also released on the DS.
    Simply put, Nintendo found out a new way to push the boundaries of the DS and implement new features altogether in the DS's lifespan, that still seems to be going strong.

That said, it is a big leap from gen4 to gen5, while being on the same system, its just coincidence and luck that Nintendo found out how to do it with this tech that gave us D/P to the extent of making such a big advancement leap as it was from the previous gens altogether.

It is still Pokemon. With the new look and feel that you felt when first playing G/S for the first time in color, with the same sight factor you saw when the advancement of visuals were introduced in R/S, and with the same futuristic approach the 3D graphics of D/P brought out for the first time in hand-held Poke history.
    And now this big leap is shown on the same system to great extent, and though I hated that the old games would be this much disregarded in the main part of B/W, I became reassured a little bit when word got out that people like Cynthia would make some sort of appearance.

In the end, its STILL made by the same people, its STILL getting rave reviews, and its STILL breaking sales records.

It is still, Pokemon.

solspear

PKMN Trainer Kame
    Years
  • its not that much of a big leap...

I mean HG/SS introduced "3d rendered" maps, where the things in the distance get smaller, giving a more 3d-ish feel, HG/SS was simply a stepping stone to test and see what the result would be. that being, it was just a remake of G/S making it limited to new features (it did have alot, and they were awesome, even tho the pokemon following you was done in Yellow)

I can't wait for the english version, and i can't wait untill they release an even newer pokemon game, cause i just know, they will, again, blow our mind.

Keep it up, nintendo!

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • NO! THIS IS NOT POKEMON! ALL OF THEM SUCK, THE 3D IS STUPID, THE PLOT IS LAME, THE CHARACTERS SUCK, THE MOOZIC SUCKS, AND THE POKEMANZ MAKE ME SICK! WHY CAN'T WE GO BACK TO WHEN IT WAS SIMPLE, LIKE POKEMANZ GOLD AND SILVER! THIS IS SUCH AN OUTRAGE THAT I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I'M SO PISSED!

Zeta's real opinion:
    Spoiler:

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I wouldn't say the gen is BAD, more like RUSHED I think its a preview of whats to come in the near future.

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
  • I really hate the whole "they don't look like Pokemon anymore" logic. There never was any one defined design for Pokemon, so it doesn't make sense to me... Same with the storyline. I find it odd that Geechisu is the final boss in place of the Champion, but let's not let Generation III and Generation IV define our games. After all, Red was the real final boss of the Generation II main games, so all this stuff that people are complaining about has actually been around ever since Gold and Silver. Generation V's designs are actually closer to Generation I's than any of the other Generations, so I really don't get any of the complaints. After all, it would be awfully boring working on the same series over and over without getting to mix things up every once and awhile, so I try to look at it from the game developers' standpoint. Thus ends my rant about ranters.

Kronos

Shooting Star
    Years
  • It still has the spirit of Pokemon, although the asthetics seem to have grown exponentially.
    Perhaps on the 3ds we'll have 3d battles in a similar style to the old stadium games.
    Although, I'm just not sure that Nintendo has the same spirit as before, giving c&d's to Serebii.net and other sites for trying to show the game to the fans who were up until screens came out seriously doubting the games.

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    I really hate the whole "they don't look like Pokemon anymore" logic. There never was any one defined design for Pokemon, so it doesn't make sense to me...

This is exactly what makes me angry, people who sit there and go on and on about how the new designs don't look like pokemon. What exactly is a pokemon supposed to look like then?

Ok aside from that i've been playing pokemon since blue and red were released and have played every game since. Each game has that new feel to it when you open it up, put it into the game slot, and click new game. Even though they've added new pokemon, new storylines, and new features etc. Yet it is still pokemon and always will be.

Black and White look amazing and i've already reserved a copy.

allBlue

legendary cake lover
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 15, 2013
    I was a bit put off by the new art direction with some of the pokemon this generation but to my surprise the game has grown on me immensly and I'm only at first gym now. The new interface, fresh storyline, interesting characters and the prospect of exploring the unknown makes it so engaging. This game screams freshness.

I recommend anyone who hasn't imported to buy it day one when it comes out in the west.

Last edited:

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • I have only played until just after the first Gym Leader, but I completely feel this game is still Pokémon in every way.

If anything they could have changed it more.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • I haven't played it yet, so I can't really give an opinion, but what I find to be hilarious is that a lot of people WANTED something new and fresh and different, and now most of those people are crying foul. These games aren't meant to please you and only you, there are about 3 billion other people out there.

That being said, I like the direction Pokemon is going in. I can't wait for the U.S. release. This might be the first game that I play for months nonstop instead of letting it sit there until I am bored and need something to do.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
  • No, it's not Pokemon, because they don't reuse the same ones over and over and they improved the graphics.

Really? Yes, it is Pokemon in it's entirety.

Saying Pokemon don't look like Pokemon is just stupid. Find one definition of what a Pokemon should look like please. Oh there isn't one? E.X.A.C.T.L.Y.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon
    Years
  • Well i havent played that game yet... but just looking at the new pokemon pictures that were previously posted... I dont feel the vibe that I usually feel whenever i see new pokemon...

Kronos

Shooting Star
    Years
  • Well i havent played that game yet... but just looking at the new pokemon pictures that were previously posted... I dont feel the vibe that I usually feel whenever i see new pokemon...
    Perhaps because they're japanese representations of AMERICAN pokemon ^^
    I feel that way about why the pokemon look so different, since the game is based around NYC, but I definately know what you mean, they don't for the most part follow trends of older design standards.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    All gen had weird looking Pokemon, look at the dex and you'll see. It's just you're not used to it people.

Back