• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Strange Sketches

Years

Most of these drawings are old, however, I'm currently in the process of making new stuff to show what I'm actually capable of doing. Most of these are poor quality photos of drawings so they're kind of hard to see. Any new drawings will be scanned in instead. I also have a few digital things in addition to my drawings.

Poor quality drawings:

Eevee
SB5mugV.jpg

Mew
ClsoHHc.jpg

Sylveon(shiny)
aooA15D.jpg

Rotom
GvrphWB.jpg

Bellossom
2KYuOzr.jpg

Trainer(Me in pokemon X) With and Without pokemon
bcEvxOQ.jpg
RJ8YxeG.jpg

Trainer(from oras)
OesQTXl.jpg

I wanted to try my hand at editing starter sprites and re-typing them. I figured I'd start out with the first three starters, so here they are:

Bunnysaur[Fairy][Normal]
imqOzF5.png

Frostmander[Ice][Dragon]
VuQjVjf.png

Squirdevil[Dark][Fire]
cXHmmnq.png

z2F0LrE.png

OzJdxvk.png

5n7xzF0.png

ZW5spOd.png

8B7L37I.png

CWLS7gB.png

Z9l6Bfk.png

1fHiQlA.png

I also made a few sigs and stuff too:

gyzYov8.png

0mV0bek.png

2vRlQKq.png

Tell me your opinion! Don't be afraid to criticize, just as long as you don't yell in caps lock I'll be fine ;)

Last edited:
Years
These are quite good so far!! :> I like the shading you added on Eevee's neck fluff
It's a pity some of them are quite blurry and for some (especially the Mew and Bellossom) it's hard to tell whether the proportions of the drawing are a bit off or if it's just the perspective of the photo

General advice for colouring with pencils: Don't just make one layer by pressing down hard but rather start off softly and add several layers/go over the area with the same pencil several times to achieve a smooth yet opaque surface :) using circular motions can help, too

Keep it up!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
You drew a Sylveon so I automatically like you. :)

It seems like the biggest downfall here is the blurriness of your pictures. Your actual art is cute though! I'll echo queenie in recommending you not be so heavy handed with your colored pencils. Start light and work your way outward, then shade darker when you have the base color down. Same goes with outlines. Yours tend to be bold, so sketch out your line work lightly and steadily at first. It's easier to add more than it is to take away, you know?

Anyway, it's nice to see more traditional artists here. Keep experimenting and keep having fun! You're getting somewhere with this and I'd like to see where you end up. :)

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
aw your drawings are so cute! like stated above, the biggest problem is the blurriness of the pictures. it's harder to critique since we can't see all of the detail. i would highly recommend if you can scan the pictures onto the computer unless you don't have one, it's okay! i like how you know where to add darkness and lightness. i would recommend trying to make the shading to flow more so we don't see a line where there is shading at.
keep posting more!

Years
Thanks for all the feedback, the blurryness was the pictures however I don't have a scanner so It's the best I can do for now :(. But I'll keep the shading tips in mind on my next one :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Thanks for all the feedback, the blurryness was the pictures however I don't have a scanner so It's the best I can do for now :(. But I'll keep the shading tips in mind on my next one :D

That's okay, I don't have a scanner either! I have to take pictures of my traditional art too, so I totally understand where you're coming from.

Definitely look into some image editing software/websites. Some sites like Imgur and LunaPic offer an image editing, so you can manually resize, crop, rotate, and even add effects to your pictures! So just keep working and practicing and if you have any questions just ask! :)

Years
Here's a sketch I'm really proud of,
Introducing my interpretation of Mega-Mew

Spoiler:

and then I colored it in photoshop :)
Spoiler:

Also, SCANNER!^^

I will be beautifying my op with css soon also :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ZKE
Years
I probably shouldn't be double posting :/ But I didn't think anyone would see it if I didn't.

I've just been introduced to Homestuck, and so I decided to draw a Page of Life.
Their God Tier clothes are a bit odd/awkward but they look pretty nice.
I've got the sketch up, I wanted to see feedback and criticism before I colored and shaded it. Colored pencils are impossible to erase.

I always struggled with human anatomy, especially making it look like they aren't stiff-as-a-board. How did I do? (I copied the position from a picture :P)

Spoiler:

It's a bit upside-down right now XD
But I'll fix it later when I make the final product

EDIT:
I decided to practice my digital-art and Photoshop skills instead, It looks pretty good in my opinion.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years
<3 The Bellossom <3 all of them!! :)

and omg your frost Charmander I love the concept! Looks like an alien!

ZKE

Not an ounce of maturity.
Years
Just a quick tip - you can make your images more manageable by adjusting the size. Click on an image in your imgur uploads area and look toward the bottom of the pop up where it says Sizes. Original is what all pictures are set at and that tends to be freaking massive. Try Medium or Large Thumbnail to present a more easily digested view!

Having said that, cute Mega Mew! Definitely my favorite of the sketches so far.

Years
Just a quick tip - you can make your images more manageable by adjusting the size. Click on an image in your imgur uploads area and look toward the bottom of the pop up where it says Sizes. Original is what all pictures are set at and that tends to be freaking massive. Try Medium or Large Thumbnail to present a more easily digested view!

Having said that, cute Mega Mew! Definitely my favorite of the sketches so far.

wow thanks for the tip, I'll defiantly do that! And thanks for the compliment!

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I like the first design. It has a very good feel to it, and I think it could make for some interesting lore behind it, combined with it's naming and design! I'm not so huge on the evolution line with the second. I think I can attribute that because I don't really get what they're evolving into, and what from.

Years
gyzYov8.png

0mV0bek.png

Not my usual sketches, but I think they came out pretty good! I figured I'd make them to match my new name Merlin for after the name changes. I know there's some issues and they definitely could be better, but I'm pretty pleased with my attempt.

Reactions: Sun
Back