• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strangest Pokémon experience

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    What is the strangest thing that ever happened to you while playing any pokémon game?
    Here's mine:

I was playing fire red, and I was in mount moon. Note that this was a very long time ago and that I was very young. I got into a battle with a team rocket grunt and... guess what pokémon he had?
    Unless you guessed A SHINY ESPEON, YOU ARE WRONG. I'm serious! I know that some people would argue that it was a dream or bootleg/hack but I didn't even know what shiny pokémon were back then, so it couldn't have been a dream, and I still play that same cartridge today, and I promise it's legit. I've even fought that same grunt again, but he doesn't have a shiny espeon anymore!

If there is any reason at all why this happened, please let me know!

Years
  • That sounds pretty puzzling if true, maybe someone else went on it and used an AR/Gameshark while playing it?

Anyway, I had a pretty strange experience two days ago, but it was due to my own stupidity. I hadn't used my Zoroark on B2 yet because I had to use exp share to allow it to catch up with the rest of my party and then when I did use it, I had it as the lead pokemon and had forgotten all about its ability. I looked away from the DS while the battle was starting and I was just thinking why is Zoroark appearing as Emolga? The game must be screwed. It probably took me three battles before I realised as well.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I've had that on Black. Sent out Zoroark, went away for 5 minutes, wondered why my Emolga didn't know Volt Switch any more...

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I'm not sure if this was a dream or not (I swear it most likely wasn't), but on my Gold version, some Gym leaders had different Pokemon during one of my playthroughs.

Falkner had a Spearow instead of a Pidgey.
    Jasmine had just a Steelix.
    Clair had a team of Horsea, Seadra, and Kingdra.

Years
  • On my first play of Leaf Green, having never played the original Gen I games yet, I encountered a Clefairy as the first Pokemon in Mt Moon. I didn't know how rare it was, didn't like the design, killed it for exp.

About 50 hours of gameplay later i was back in Mt Moon searching for another one so I could complete my 'dex. :( That's life though.

Jade Lee

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2013
    After sometimes of my gaming session I feel really bored, isn't that strange.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    I remember getting the TM Flash one time, and later on when I wanted to make my Poke learn the move it had disappeared. Which I thought was strange. Though it was probably the fact that I had forgotten to save the game previously. Which would explain the reason for it not being there.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • I might have hooked a wild Chansey once in Red. This happened many years ago so things are extremely blurry. What I can remember is that it was in Cinnibar Island and I was possibly facing south. False memory? You be the judge because I'm not even sure myself.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • This was one very weird experience and continues to baffle and puzzle me how. I was young, I was playing a fake pokemon game cartrige, Pokemon Crystal Shards? I don't know what, it was a GS hack remake. I proceeded to battling Falkner and his sprite... was the exact same sprite used for Falkner in HGSS with the sprite being his "slash" animation frame with his hand.

Take note: This was before the HGSS release and anouncement and when I finally got my SoulSilver and battled Falkner, my mind immediately went "WTF I saw this sprite before." and reminisced a hacked GS game. When I found and played back the exact game that had the pre-HGSS falkner sprite, the sprite was now different. Anyway regardless, If it was in fact just a dream, it still fils me with wonder how I managed to take a glimpsed of Falkner's sprite before it's usage in HGSS.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • My strangest moment was when I was playing Pokemon Sapphire, and I had already beaten the Pokemon league. I went around Hoenn trying to look for pokemon to add to my pokedex then I was thinking to myself "I wonder where that latias went" then as I moved my character a few paces to the right with that thought in mind, Latias appeared in the game... pretty trippy

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I remember once I was battling my friend on Yellow with my Team, but instead of battling his Kingler I was battling a tangela with HP bars on it.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • I picked up my Sapphire version after a few years and found that I had 8 badges and a lot of Pokedex completion but my only Pokemon in either my party or my box was a Surskit. I had no memory of doing that and to this day I still think about it a lot.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • I bought a used Platinum from a local gamer store. It came with it's package, which looked like it had been doused in water. Upon giving me the receipt, the cashier said "be sure to return it within 30 days if you aren't satisfied or if there's something wrong with the game." I'd shopped there many times and he'd never said that before. Needless to say, the game had been returned many times.

I started a new file on it, and upon exiting and entering certain areas, the lighting on the screen seemed to differentiate. I didn't think much of it, thought it was my DS.
    Then I ran into a shiny Gligar. Only it didn't sparkle. I caught it.. Then ran into another Gliagar.. Shiny as well.
    My Togepi hatched, she was shiny too!

Either the game was dropped in water or hacked.. Random Pokemon taking on shiny appearance without sparkling doesn't just happen, right?

Back