• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suffering From Depression

Oshawott501

Huge Oshawott fan
    Years
    Hi all,

I'm back once again with a little bit of insight of how my mind works. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome as a baby, so my social skills aren't the best, but at least I try to make friends and be as "normal" (oh, how I hate that word so much) as possible. When you feel like you live in a world where you don't belong because of the curse that was placed upon you as a baby with no choice in the matter. Yes, I see my disability as a curse. I don't let many people into my life because I know that many can't handle someone like me. I sometimes feel like the world would be a better place if I wasn't around. I feel like everyone I know would be happier. My grandparents would probably be an exception to that. I have always felt like a burden to everyone I know and to society. It's hard when you have severe depression and many don't understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    Depression is a tough one to tackle due to the nature of what it is. I think I can relate at least partially to what you are going through. We all go through our ups and downs but when it gets really bad, you need ways to support yourself. Personally, I use exercise as a means to push through - I am fortunate that I am disciplined enough to train even when my mind is feeling sluggish or when "I can't be bothered". I actually came out of lurking on these forums because I am currently having a hard time myself - so I am trying to talk to other people on here as a means of distracting my mind from my problems but also to mix things up a bit. Routine is killer when on a downer because the mind has the opportunity to linger on depressing thoughts. Variety is the spice of life as they say and I believe there is truth in this. By changing things up, your mind has less time to revert and recall negative experiences and instead the mind focuses on the present moment, taking in the new experiences.

Anyway to summarise;

• Try increasing your physical activity
    • Try interacting with many different people (online or offline, either works)
    • Try changing up your current routine / habits to include new things

Hope this helps.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    hi, i can relate to your situation a little bit so i think i may be able to give you some advice. i'm also diagnosed with aspergers syndrome and suffered from depression from the ages of 13 - 16, so luckily only two years for me, but i still know slightly what it's like to be in your place.

so advice from a friend - you need to stop seeing yourself as anything other than 'normal'. i promise you, we are normal. the fact we have a disability (if you want to call it that, it's also fine if you don't view it as one) doesn't mean we aren't normal; if you always see yourself as being a certain way the way you act, your thoughts, and your habits are all going to cycle around that, too.it's difficult at first, completely changing the way you think and altering the way you see yourself but it's not impossible and i promise you it's so, so worth it.

i know what it's like to see aspergers as a curse (i did for the majority of my life, too), but in the end... the harsh truth is, it's not going anywhere. so, i mean, why not learn to just love it? so what if we're a little different, and we can't speak like other people can - yes it makes relationships harder and maybe social situations a little awkward, but doesn't that just make the people who do talk to us and hang around with us just that little bit more special? they may not be with you now, but i promise you there are people who will love you and talk to you regularly regardless of what makes you 'different'.

no matter how tough it is, i would recommend at least trying to let some people in - it doesn't have to be in massive chunks all in one go, it doesn't even have to be offline. good people are out there, people who will see you for you, it just starts with you maybe opening your mind to the possibilities a little bit.

i guess what i'm trying to tell you is... the road to getting better starts with you, in the end. nothing will change unless you let it, which you can - it's possible, and i believe in you! since the above poster gave some really helpful advice on dealing with depression, i'll leave that out for now, but i did just want to give you some advice on loving yourself and your aspergers.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
    Being able to express your feelings in a non-judgemental place is helpful. I've suffered through anxiety and depression since I was a teenager. It was damn hard because my only support was my partner, but he could not really understand what I was going through. Before I met him I was on my own because my family didn't believe I had a problem. After getting professional help, these days I am much healthier and my bad days are less often.
    Things do get better if you keep your head up and I hope you do find a positive solution.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I cannot realte on this because we had a different life, but if I can give you a little headsup of my life's philosophy.. take it or leave it it's up to you.

so advice from a friend - you need to stop seeing yourself as anything other than 'normal'. i promise you, we are normal. the fact we have a disability (if you want to call it that, it's also fine if you don't view it as one) doesn't mean we aren't normal; if you always see yourself as being a certain way the way you act, your thoughts, and your habits are all going to cycle around that, too.it's difficult at first, completely changing the way you think and altering the way you see yourself but it's not impossible and i promise you it's so, so worth it.

Normality is a social construct. What is normal? It change constantly, from year to years, place to place. You are who you are. We are who we are. I know it's easier to say than to do, but work on loving yourself, it's worth it. You are worth it. Don't remember that you may feel like you have something that affect your life, that there's a problem (see depression) present in your life, but you are not the problem. It's something you might want to fight against, but it does not define who you are as a whole.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    I had depression and anxiety last year. I never did this and I regret not doing it, but I would recommend getting active if you aren't. Like walking outside in the sun or reading a book outside. Hang out with friends. Something like that. I regret staying inside cooped up in my room- it just made me feel worse.

I would also recommend talking to someone about your problems- that was probably the biggest thing for me. Do you have a trusted family member or friend?

Years
    No such thing as normal, everyone's different and everyone acts differently. There is nothing wrong with that.
    If people dislike you because you have aspergers, that's their problem, not yours.

Oshawott501

Huge Oshawott fan
    Years
    I don't have many friends as many don't understand my complexity. Being friends with me is not easy. One person in particular knows this very well. He is well known to you guys. I'll give you a hint he likes Snivy. Anyways, I do exercise a lot. I love walking outside. I see a therapist and he's a joke. I get little to no help at all. People frustrate me so easily. I usually stay home because there's a lot of evil people in the world. I go out when I go to school and when I see friends and that's about it. I hope to get a job soon though.

Back