• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suicide

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Let's not turn this into a flame fest. No cussing, name calling, and bashing of opinions. Heed what I keep on saying in these topics: YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE SOMEONE'S OPINION ON A TOPIC LIKE THIS IN A POKEMON FORUM.

Anywho, another bashing and this gets locked immediately and infractions will be handed out.

Are people saying they want to change other's opinions? I want to make people think, and I want to declare and defend my position, and I want to refine my viewpoint. Little else.
    Does the setting really mean anything? I'll drop this here, but just like age means nothing in a debate, information and opinions don't care where they're distributed. I see just the slightest hint of hypocrisy here...

People underestimate the power of the human mind. I'll agree that in this day and age, with all the chemicals that affect one's brain, that imbalances and such are a frequent cause of depression and suicidal behavior (which is scary if you think about it), but I bet that there is a psychological aspect to it most of the time. At the very least, being positive can't hurt.

btw- I love your posts, Richard Lynch.

Last edited:

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Like I stated, the topic isn't about if you'd survive XYZ situation.
    Fox that video really isn't needed....>_____>

That's why I put it in spoiler tags (b'')b
    I know this topic is about suicide as a choice, and that it's veered off to methods of suicide, but with PC's ballistics unit stepping in I felt it'd be better if someone posted with some knowledge.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Like I stated, the topic isn't about if you'd survive XYZ situation.
    Fox that video really isn't needed....>_____>

Though this may have not originally been about surviving XYZ suicide situations, Mork locked a thread and referred those who discussing it to this thread. Does that not warrant them being able to talk about it here?

Morkula said:
    There's...already a suicide thread, and this is kind of an odd discussion, to say the least.
    *Locked*

Years
  • It is perfectly plausible to survive being shot in the head, it's just very situational. It depends on the caliber of the gun and what part(s) of your brain it penetrates. It's incredibly unlikely but far from impossible.

Granted through the roof of the mouth is probably impossible but it will generally hit the brain-stem which is pretty vital.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Granted through the roof of the mouth is probably impossible but it will generally hit the brain-stem which is pretty vital.

It's pretty much sure fire death. Like you said though, not every headwound from ammunition kills, there's a lot of documented cases where the bullet hasnt gone all the way through, or it has but hasn't done enough damage. However these cases are few and far between and are almsot never suicide attempts.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • If someone wants to kill themselves, they will. Someone was shot 13 times and lived, and I know this guy. It's insane what the human body can withstand, but 9.9 times out of 10, a bullet to the head is going to kill you. It's physics. People choose guns over most other choices of suicide because the percentage of suicides that succeeded via guns is well over 90%, and they always shoot through the roof of their mouth or their temple. Hardly anyone attempting suicide will shoot themselves in the heart.

Anyway, we're all basically saying the same thing here.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • If someone wants to kill themselves, they will. Someone was shot 13 times and lived, and I know this guy. It's insane what the human body can withstand, but 9.9 times out of 10, a bullet to the head is going to kill you. It's physics. People choose guns over most other choices of suicide because the percentage of suicides that succeeded via guns is well over 90%, and they always shoot through the roof of their mouth or their temple. Hardly anyone attempting suicide will shoot themselves in the heart.

Anyway, we're all basically saying the same thing here.

It is physics, but it's also moreso biology, and biology is amazingly unpredictable in this realm (in fact, if you've ever talked to a physicist or a mathematical/physical chemist, such as myself, many of us agree that biology is not truly a science because of the lack of mathematical predictability).

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I actually think you're right that a gunshot to the head has perhaps the highest probability of death, but I firmly believe that its still unpredictable to the point that I wouldn't bet a decent amount of money on it. You're right - it's amazing what the human body can go through and keep chuggin' along.

Years
  • Unless you're in a zombie apocalypse, I really think there's no reason for you to kill yourself.
    For all those who have thought about suicide.

Look at you, you have a computer.
    You're not persecuted.
    You're being fed.
    You're probably going to school.
    You have a house.
    You probably have a gaming system.
    You aren't wanted by police or the government.

Materialistic objects wouldn't matter if the person was MEDICALLY DEPRESSED!
    After all this is all À mon avis.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2010
    Actually the person who is tired from the life and the people around him can think of suicide. But it is not the right way to solve your problems. The person who don't have the guts can think for ending his life.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • Actually the person who is tired from the life and the people around him can think of suicide. But it is not the right way to solve your problems. The person who don't have the guts can think for ending his life.

But here's the thing... It's not just about putting on a jolly face and seeing yurself through. Some people, through no fault of their own, are just mentally unwell and we need to adress this through more, and better controlled, medication and therapy. Not just saying "Cheer up! You know some African children would love to be you!".

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years

• But here's the thing... It's not just about putting on a jolly face and seeing yurself through. Some people, through no fault of their own, are just mentally unwell and we need to adress this through more, and better controlled, medication and therapy. Not just saying "Cheer up! You know some African children would love to be you!".

Well said. I viciously disagree with those that think medication is a surefire way to cure depression. It can help, (And I'd suspect different medicines work for different people) but it can't just do it for someone. They need the therapy too.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • Well said. I viciously disagree with those that think medication is a surefire way to cure depression. It can help, (And I'd suspect different medicines work for different people) but it can't just do it for someone. They need the therapy too.

In my post I did say "and therapy". It would be daft to think that medication would solve all problems. It is merely an extra boost in the right direction. It helps you to find the answer. It is not the answer itself.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years

• In my post I did say "and therapy". It would be daft to think that medication would solve all problems. It is merely an extra boost in the right direction. It helps you to find the answer. It is not the answer itself.

I know, I was just using your post as an excuse to say how much I hated it when I meet the type of people that think medication will solve all their problems on it's own.

Cheers~ ;)

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Suicide is definitely a great way to get free psychiatric help, provided the victim survives the attempt. It is very easy to survive the attempt; just get someone to witness the victim unconscious, which is very much possible because less than 10% of attempts are successful.

People who had committed (un)successful suicides are not selfish people, though. Just ask their (surviving) loved ones. If there are none, no need to say the suicidal is selfish enough to hurt feelings when there are none.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • To me, its a very touchy subject, for varying reasons.
    I love how everyone thinks it's selfish and just a way to 'escape'. But, for some people it is more than that; and not all of us know their life stories, so should we judge them? No.
    To me, in short, having lost many friends to suicide, it is tragic, but not my place to judge their actions.
    I do feel, that it is better to live and solve your problems, but, like I said before. No judgment.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • Sucide is always accused as being an "escape" or "a weak person", to be honest I don't believe these are true. It's a way people go because they just don't know what to do with their lives any more it's gotten that bad they feel that they should just end it quick, in my opinion. We don't know what has actually happened to them, why should we judge it?

Akarei Yorume

His servant forever... <3
    Years
  • Should we look DOWN on people who are suicidal because they're "selfish"? Shouldn't we be trying to HELP all we can instead of putting them down even more?

Besides, what if the person is being pushed to do it? Example: someone is getting bullied at school, and terrible things are said to her, things such as "your mother should have aborted you" and "good, go kill yourself! We don't need retarded people like you breeding into society!" Would it be right to call her selfish if she killed herself because of that?

Back