• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I bet the waterfall area will be chock full of items! Maybe we can get 1 mega stone a day? That would be interesting!

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Are you asking which IRL Island it is based on? If so, then it is based on Maui.

First Island - Is based on O'ahu/Yellow Island.
    Sacred Pool Island/top right - Is based on Maui/Pink Island
    Big Island - Is based on Big Island Hawaii/Red Island
    Big West Island - Is based on Kaua'i/Purple Island
    Small West Island - Is based on Ni'ihau/White Island
    Artificial Island/Elite 4 - Is maybe based on Kaho'olawe/Grey Island

Lana'i/Orange Island might be the island in the northeast of the Sacred Pool Island that is covered by clouds.
    Moloka'i/Green Island, which is a fairly large island, isn't visible from any of the maps we have gotten.

I think Moloka'i will be a post game island to the south, which might be similar to the Post Game Island in Sinnoh.

Thank you!!! I was indeed correct! A few years back, I went to Hawaii, and was only on Maui. The pools was somewhere I visited and so I had a feeling this was it. Here's some info
    http://mauiguidebook.com/road-to-hana-maui/road-to-hana-sites-to-see-maui/seven-sacred-pools/

It's really popular and jumping is something that goes on throughout the day. I watched many people jump from the high parts into the water. You should be careful though as the pools's depths vary. It's a beautiful site though! It's nearly a four drive through a long an narrow highway with nothing but the mountains on both sides. The road is called the road to Hana as pointed out in the link and it's pretty popular. There's also the National parks grounds with trails, red sand beach, and more.

I could easily see it being the pools. It fits pretty close to it's actual irl life location! As for Moloka'i, I think it's hidden as well. I'm predicting it houses the battle facility and backwards waterfall that the backpacker in X and Y mentions is in his region.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Thank you!!! I was indeed correct! A few years back, I went to Hawaii, and was only on Maui. The pools was somewhere I visited and so I had a feeling this was it. Here's some info
    http://mauiguidebook.com/road-to-hana-maui/road-to-hana-sites-to-see-maui/seven-sacred-pools/

It's really popular and jumping is something that goes on throughout the day. I watched many people jump from the high parts into the water. You should be careful though as the pools's depths vary. It's a beautiful site though! It's nearly a four drive through a long an narrow highway with nothing but the mountains on both sides. The road is called the road to Hana as pointed out in the link and it's pretty popular. There's also the National parks grounds with trails, red sand beach, and more.

I could easily see it being the pools. It fits pretty close to it's actual irl life location! As for Moloka'i, I think it's hidden as well. I'm predicting it houses the battle facility and backwards waterfall that the backpacker in X and Y mentions is in his region.

To add to this, I would also like to point out that the golf course on the same island he is talking about is based on the King Kamehameha Golf Course. The building is possibly based on the Clubhouse that usually has banquets to private members. So this might be a town and gym as well.

It is also possible for it to be similar to the Stadiums in Nimbasa City and the Cafes of Kalos.

Also the backwards waterfall would probably more likely be on First Island, as the backwards waterfall is on O'ahu. This is caused by powerful winds that blow the waterfall upwards. However, this can easily be changed in pokemon to actually be a backwards waterfall. This area is also a State Park.

Also, I read about a myth on Big Island Hawaii that might explain the fortress city.

The Night Marchers - These are ancient spirits that are said to roam the island. It is said if you hear the drums at night, run. If you make eye contact with one of the Night Marchers, you die instantly and are cursed to march with them for all eternity.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    To add to this, I would also like to point out that the golf course on the same island he is talking about is based on the King Kamehameha Golf Course. The building is possibly based on the Clubhouse that usually has banquets to private members. So this might be a town and gym as well.

It is also possible for it to be similar to the Stadiums in Nimbasa City and the Cafes of Kalos.

Also the backwards waterfall would probably more likely be on First Island, as the backwards waterfall is on O'ahu. This is caused by powerful winds that blow the waterfall upwards. However, this can easily be changed in pokemon to actually be a backwards waterfall. This area is also a State Park.

Also, I read about a myth on Big Island Hawaii that might explain the fortress city.

The Night Marchers - These are ancient spirits that are said to roam the island. It is said if you hear the drums at night, run. If you make eye contact with one of the Night Marchers, you die instantly and are cursed to march with them for all eternity.

I could see that being the case. A new sports area like the Nimbassa ones would be neat. A gym could be cool as well. I think gyms are going to blend in more based on the looks of the buildings in each town.
    The backwards waterfall does make sense on Oahu's poke version( I didn't know where it was before, so thanks!), but the one waterfall we see appears to flow forward. I could be wrong though. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a legend control the waterfall, maybe water and fairy?

And I know of the night watchers story. Don't know if it will tie into the city, but you never know. It's interesting because the only ghost location we see is 4 graveyards on a small hill. So unless it goes underground, we may have a different ghost place this time. I also remember a variation from a program on tv years ago, in which to make them go away, you must strip your clothing, roll around in mud, and then make pig sounds as an act of humiliation. That whole legend is certainly interesting.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Couple small things I found: (Large images!)
    It seems the map most people have been using, differs slightly from the map in the trailers when it comes to the angle.

Here is the map most people refer to:
    Spoiler:

And here is the map the professor shows us:
    Spoiler:

Notice how the 1st image, the islands are more in a square shape, while in the game, they appear to be more linear, (Like Hawaii).

In the 1st image, the small island on the bottom left is more to the south of the island, while it appears to be to the side of it in-game.

Notice how the small island covered up by clouds isn't even viewable in game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3arIA0jHslc

This video explains great possibilities and makes me rethink what types the gyms would be. The japanese tower looks samurai-isa, so I am thinking fighting. There are possibilities for a gym inside volcanoes, so a fire type gym or rock or ground is likely. There are also a few large trees, so a Grass gym is likely. Tons of water spots, so...

The island northeast has a tropical palm tree that is huge.. I wonder what connection to Hawaii landmarks this could be.

I agree that there should be some diving and Atlantis type city as well.. let's hope

Years
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3arIA0jHslc

This video explains great possibilities and makes me rethink what types the gyms would be. The japanese tower looks samurai-isa, so I am thinking fighting. There are possibilities for a gym inside volcanoes, so a fire type gym or rock or ground is likely. There are also a few large trees, so a Grass gym is likely. Tons of water spots, so...

The island northeast has a tropical palm tree that is huge.. I wonder what connection to Hawaii landmarks this could be.

I agree that there should be some diving and Atlantis type city as well.. let's hope

You know what else I hope gets broken? The Electric Gym streak that has happened in every region except Johto, but even in the Johto games you still had Kanto for the postgame so you still had to battle an Electric Gym nonetheless (aka Lt. Surge), so that means you have faced an Electric-type Gym in every single main series games so far.

If S/M has no Electric Gym in Alola, it'll be the first main series game in general to lack an Electric Gym, which will be a huge first for main series games.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Couple small things I found: (Large images!)
    It seems the map most people have been using, differs slightly from the map in the trailers when it comes to the angle.

Here is the map most people refer to:
    Spoiler:

And here is the map the professor shows us:
    Spoiler:

Notice how the 1st image, the islands are more in a square shape, while in the game, they appear to be more linear, (Like Hawaii).

In the 1st image, the small island on the bottom left is more to the south of the island, while it appears to be to the side of it in-game.

Notice how the small island covered up by clouds isn't even viewable in game.

I didn't notice till just now, but there is a massive gap between the snow capped mountain and the observatory on big island. That hurts the route idea I made on that Island. Guess I should have looked at both.

Years
  • Wow, how interesting that the island covered by clouds in the official art doesn't appear in-game. Guess that makes the Ho-Oh and Lugia clouds also seem pointless.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Wow, how interesting that the island covered by clouds in the official art doesn't appear in-game. Guess that makes the Ho-Oh and Lugia clouds also seem pointless.

Unless it's some sorta postgame content? Maybe the clouds on your map clear up, and you can see more islands?

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    You know what else I hope gets broken? The Electric Gym streak that has happened in every region except Johto, but even in the Johto games you still had Kanto for the postgame so you still had to battle an Electric Gym nonetheless (aka Lt. Surge), so that means you have faced an Electric-type Gym in every single main series games so far.

If S/M has no Electric Gym in Alola, it'll be the first main series game in general to lack an Electric Gym, which will be a huge first for main series games.

I think we need an Electric Elite 4, so no electric gym could lead to that..

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Yo guys. I want to point out something in the new Corocoro scans that people are skipping over, other than a hand full. It was one of the first things I noticed after the Pokemon.

On the map that the Corocoro scan shows, there is a shiny spot on the map on the big island. I first I thought it was just a camera flash, but as I looked at the other scans, the same type of shiny spot is along the titles and a few other things. There is no way it can be a camera flash. This is the only one that seems to be on the pictures that I noticed and not words.

It could be nothing at all, but then again, it could be something. I look at the high res images, but I didn't see anything notable in the area where it is at.

Meant to circle the shiny spot, but I didn't. But you can easily see it on the big island.
    g9VPj4q.png

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think it could be that lighthouse that can be seen behind Professor Kukui from the recent scans.

Spoiler:

That scan certainly makes it look like it could be some important location in the games. It wouldn't be the first lighthouse to do so as we saw in Olivine City from Johto.

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I think it could be that lighthouse that can be seen behind Professor Kukui from the recent scans.

Spoiler:

That scan certainly makes it look like it could be some important location in the games. It wouldn't be the first lighthouse to do so as we saw in Olivine City from Johto.

What if the theory that the evil team is pirates or explorers is right? And they spot the team coming in on boats from the lighthouse? Might be crazy but could be a cool cutscene.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think it could be that lighthouse that can be seen behind Professor Kukui from the recent scans.

Spoiler:

Good idea, but I also thought this. I think the Lighthouse behind Kukui is the one on the 2nd island, the one with the layer waterfall/pools and golf course.

As for the pirates/explorers. I can still see that happen and I think it would look amazing.

Also I finally understand why people are thinking that maybe there is an underwater city, other than what we possibly see under the artifical island. On the 2nd island, there is a set of step just off to the side of the blue dock area that is on 3 of the 4 islands. It looks like it is going underwater. This could possibly be the entrance to the Elite 4 and Victory Road, at least that is what some have suggested.

Although I like that theory and it does make a bit of sense, I think it may just be a dock like area where we can fish.

Back