• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
  • The thing is with these maps (ORAS's and now SM's) is that every single thing is on them--straight down to the number of generic houses. Nothing is left to the imagination with these maps...not that that's a bad thing! Especially with Alola's; it's beautifully rendered and is chock-full of detail. But rather, if you don't see it on the map, it almost certainly means it isn't there. And just because you can see something on the map doesn't mean you can visit it (like that volcano with the green in the crater on the "first island;" I don't think you'll be able to go inside it). So unless there's some other island off this image, what you see is what you get. While that does make it fun to look at the super-hi-res picture and try to pinpoint every little thing, it does make you wonder if it's all actually accessible, or if it's going to be like Kalos where there are things you can see but can never reach.

In Hawaii, the volcano you are talking about as building inside of it in Hawaii. So we might still be able to go there. Nothing is certain, but you can basically pick places out that we will definitely go to. However to no anything for sure, we need the in game map.

However, I was fairly accurate when I made a route for Kalos, but this is a lot harder to do so. The only one I am almost certain I can do is first island at the moment.

I think the routes in this region might be all over the place. But I am pretty sure we will be circling each island.

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
  • I was kind of surprised to see that we can go and explore 4 different islands. Kind of reminds me of the Sevii Islands back in FR/LG.

But I'm more curious about this:
    Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Looks like a replica of the Tin Tower. Any thoughts?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I was kind of surprised to see that we can go and explore 4 different islands. Kind of reminds me of the Sevii Islands back in FR/LG.

Hawaii has a significant Buddhist population irl, this could be a reference to that population.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years

Yeah Hawaii shares some culture with Japan, more than most people know, I think.

For that place in particular, I think it is a gym. I don't know anything else it could be. Usually the unique buildings in the passed few regions have been gyms.

Years
  • Yeah Hawaii shares some culture with Japan, more than most people know, I think.

For that place in particular, I think it is a gym. I don't know anything else it could be. Usually the unique buildings in the passed few regions have been gyms.

More so Unova's. Kalos toned the gym designs down a little, but yeah, the unique places tend to be gyms. Like the tree in northern Kalos turned out to have Valerie's gym.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • I was speaking to this with a friend, back when we'd only had the one video, and I mean the one in February announcing the games w/ concept art, so before the one with the starters revealed, and region named. And I remember saying that I wanted a vast region with a various terrain, because that's what I love most in Pokemon games. I really like the Hoenn and Sinnoh regions designs because there are so many areas you can go to - a desert, volcano, tundra, swamp, forest, city, etc - and that's all I wanted out of Sun and Moon's region. So I'm happy looking at the region map it looks like there's a lot of different terrain to explore.

My only issue is that my favorite place to explore is a snow region, and looking at the map there doesn't seem to be any places that look cold or with snow. But I doubt they'd not include any ice types in the whole regional Pokedex, so I'm hoping for an nicely designed ice cavern like we got in Kanto, Johto and Hoenn - just more icey, because those three are a little disappointing. There is that bit on top of the mountain in the south east, but IDK I don't think that looks like exactly what I was hoping for.

But even if it doesn't end up getting a tundra area, the map looks amazing regardless. I'm a really big fan of the island hopping idea.

Years
  • I was speaking to this with a friend, back when we'd only had the one video, and I mean the one in February announcing the games w/ concept art, so before the one with the starters revealed, and region named. And I remember saying that I wanted a vast region with a various terrain, because that's what I love most in Pokemon games. I really like the Hoenn and Sinnoh regions designs because there are so many areas you can go to - a desert, volcano, tundra, swamp, forest, city, etc - and that's all I wanted out of Sun and Moon's region. So I'm happy looking at the region map it looks like there's a lot of different terrain to explore.

My only issue is that my favorite place to explore is a snow region, and looking at the map there doesn't seem to be any places that look cold or with snow. But I doubt they'd not include any ice types in the whole regional Pokedex, so I'm hoping for an nicely designed ice cavern like we got in Kanto, Johto and Hoenn - just more icey, because those three are a little disappointing. There is that bit on top of the mountain in the south east, but IDK I don't think that looks like exactly what I was hoping for.

But even if it doesn't end up getting a tundra area, the map looks amazing regardless. I'm a really big fan of the island hopping idea.

I think most of the ice types will be on top of that mountain. I don't expect another route covered in snow like we got in Kalos.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    That artificial island is small. Too small. Methinks it's a post-game battle facility area.
    I freaking hope that's not another lazy clone of the Battle Maison. >.>

Years
  • That artificial island is small. Too small. Methinks it's a post-game battle facility area.

Like you said, I have a feeling that it's the battle facility. But knowing the apparent small interest in the Battle Frontier it's more likely going to be a Battle Maison clone.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

4 mains islands, a smaller one on the left and a huge white floating building. Could it be the Elite 4 location? With an underwater victory road for more cancer?

What do you mean by "cancer"?

And just because you can see something on the map doesn't mean you can visit it (like that volcano with the green in the crater on the "first island;" I don't think you'll be able to go inside it).

Looking at the previous incarnation of the map (the one in the Starter reveal trailer) there exists an opening to the volcano.

Last edited:

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • The Alola Region!

THE REGION IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

It looks like we'll be having underwater caverns again cause look how blue the water is in the middle of the region, plus the island are in an arc, maybe surrounding whatever is in the water :P

Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 5.40.01 AM.jpg
      381.4 KB · Views: 4

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • That artificial island is small. Too small. Methinks it's a post-game battle facility area.

I think it is the Elite 4. The Battle Facility usually doesn't make an appearance in the first map art. And if you look closer, it possibly goes down beneath the water.

The Elite 4 you can usually pin point where it is in the first map art. Not to mention, no other place looks like it could be the Elite 4.

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • I think it is the Elite 4. The Battle Facility usually doesn't make an appearance in the first map art. And if you look closer, it possibly goes down beneath the water.

The Elite 4 you can usually pin point where it is in the first map art. Not to mention, no other place looks like it could be the Elite 4.

If you zoom on that island, you can see that it kinda continues deep into the ocean. Let's that sink in for a sec :p

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I don't think we can count it out. I am thinking there will still be an island based on Easter Island, but not 100% sure.

I would love to say that I am certain the clouds are hiding stuff, but don't want to get my hopes up. I rearranged a map of Hawaii to somewhat match Alola, but it isn't 100% accurate. I think the artificial island my be a representation of one of the smaller islands that are in a cluster.

There is also 1 island they don't use, but it could be in the south clouds.

Spoiler:

The island they don't use is almost a perfect match for the south cloud, and the island that I put just south of the top right island might be the one hidden by clouds.
    The island usage is weird to be honest. The big 4 make sense,and have real world inspirations oozing from them, but then you have the small 2 which are completely fantasy. They could have easily made the small two near Maui into one, I'm thinking a desert with some sort of Pineapple Oasis vibe going on, where as the forbidden isle just being there is a blank.
    While there seem to be a lot of impressive places, Kalos had the same thing going for it--a lot of impressive places. But with nothing substantial to do in them, they all ended up being quite forgettable. There also doesn't seem to be any "post-game" area, so that's already a let-down for me. I also don't think there's anything under the clouds--all that was under the clouds of ORAS's map was the Battle Maison Island, which, honestly, I'd be devastated if it returned. The clouds are likely drawn into the image as design elements, so there isn't just a huge swatch of blue with nothing to break it up.

That all being said, I think there's some interesting things here. The large...illuminati triangle altar is probably where we get the legendary, based on the first trailer's scene with them. Also, the very very north-east island kind of covered by clouds has some enormous...Yggdrasil bud or something. I want to believe it has some (narrative) connection with that giant tree that has heavenly light pouring onto it... but in XY I thought the tree up north was where you could catch Xerneas, and that turned out to just be a Gym. So for now I shall simply shrug and say "Perhaps."

On the easternmost island I spy our "always raining" route, and some red...stuff and something interesting to the right of that. There also seems to be a graveyard(?) to the island northwest of there.

There are some cool Japanese-looking areas, but aside from that I can't say I'm impressed. Or rather, I refuse to say I'm impressed, because this all is giving me deja-vu with how impressed I was with Kalos's map.
    The Kalos map was nowhere near as riveting as this one. Large empty spaces and some cool buildings, not impressive, especially with those cookie cutter biomes. Meanwhile, here we have a hyper organic map layout, super dense routes and POIs and in general feels like there is a lot more to do them Kalos.
    The thing is with these maps (ORAS's and now SM's) is that every single thing is on them--straight down to the number of generic houses. Nothing is left to the imagination with these maps...not that that's a bad thing! Especially with Alola's; it's beautifully rendered and is chock-full of detail. But rather, if you don't see it on the map, it almost certainly means it isn't there. And just because you can see something on the map doesn't mean you can visit it (like that volcano with the green in the crater on the "first island;" I don't think you'll be able to go inside it). So unless there's some other island off this image, what you see is what you get. While that does make it fun to look at the super-hi-res picture and try to pinpoint every little thing, it does make you wonder if it's all actually accessible, or if it's going to be like Kalos where there are things you can see but can never reach.
    I think it's all accessible. You don't create stuff like the water pools on Maui Island or a giant tree with an entrance just for show. As for the actual map, I think it's a bit of a hybrid. It has the accuracy of the Horn map with the landmakr style of Unova/Kalos. I think the highly detailed cities are for the gyms,and the town's/cities with only a couple of buildings are the ones without one. That or the cities have routes built in, which would be pretty baller.
    I think it is the Elite 4. The Battle Facility usually doesn't make an appearance in the first map art. And if you look closer, it possibly goes down beneath the water.

Definitely the league. The one other place and that could be it would be the ice mountain, but that has no connection to the observatory peak.

I think there is going to be an underground. First there are stairs leading to the ocean with no visible building. Second, thee are 5 blue huts in the middle of nowhere or near the ports. I think at some point, we will have access to a tunnel network that has some very cool stuff in it.aube the Hub City is actually underwater, and the league is situated above it?

smocks

fiat lux
    Years

Is it just me or this town look like something from Attack on Titan? xD

And this looks so sick!! Like an atlantis waterfall thing

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • This may not be very accurate or make much sense, but this is the routes I have come up with. I did no put them in any order. Although I think we will go to the right, then down and then across. But there may be a LOT of back tracking.

As for what Story means in the key, it mean key story points. This may be way higher as there is no real clue yet on everything. Each Island would probably have a number of post game things to do as well.

But here is my routes. Remember, this is not confirmed at all and I am not saying this is right.

Spoiler:

blue

gucci
    Years

And this looks so sick!! Like like atlantis waterfall thing

I love that waterfall feature! It looks like it will serve a purpose but can't really figure out what? Maybe it is just for decoration or maybe it could be some sort of secret hideout in disguise.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This may not be very accurate or make much sense, but this is the routes I have come up with. I did no put them in any order. Although I think we will go to the right, then down and then across. But there may be a LOT of back tracking.

As for what Story means in the key, it mean key story points. This may be way higher as there is no real clue yet on everything. Each Island would probably have a number of post game things to do as well.

But here is my routes. Remember, this is not confirmed at all and I am not saying this is right.

Spoiler:

I like your hypothesis on where we have to go throughout the story, all that island hopping. We had a few regions where we had to backtrack all around the place for plot purposes, notably Sinnoh (such as going back to certain Gyms or Team Galactic stuff, even Mt. Coronet to progress) and Kalos (backtracking mainly due to Team Flare climax).

If this seems to be the case then I guess Alola is very unlikely to be a linear region.

Back