• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    The design is awesome, the characters are great looking, the layout is great, and Litten!!!!!

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Well is there any way they can make it more obvious that the region is based on Hawaii? Alola, Totems everywhere etc.
    I really don't like the name, nor the starters..

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Really hoping that region isn't as small as it looked, though Hawaii itself isn't known for being a huge area.

I kinda wish it is! It makes hope for a second map to visit after, like the second generation.

And in all honestly, I prefer a small map than a big ocean like Hoenn.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It had its merits. I was personally a Spain believer, there was evidence towards Hawaii and Spain or similar area. Plus if it wasn't hawaii, it wouldn't be the first time they took something from another place and put it in another region.

Not sure how I feel about the name, I'll keep seeing / saying Aloha, though Alola could be the Japanese name like Isshu(?) and Unova. Also seems quite small, and not sure how I feel about that city / road taking up so much space, just seems weird. Please have more islands..

I doubt it. Alola was in the English trailer so it is unlikely to be just the Japanese name.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I'm still gonna hold on hope to the idea that this region is connected or is part of the south of Kalos, even if it doesn't make a crap ton of sense at this point lmao. Kalos was so underdeveloped. :(

It does really look small in comparison to the previous ones. Considering its based off Hawaii, multiple, smaller islands makes plenty of sense. Still not too crazy about the region location, but it should definitely give us something really fresh and different, which is usually very welcomed.

Years
  • Not sure how I feel about the name, I'll keep seeing / saying Aloha, though Alola could be the Japanese name like Isshu(?) and Unova. Also seems quite small, and not sure how I feel about that city / road taking up so much space, just seems weird. Please have more islands..
    It's the same in Japanese this time: アローラ ("aroura") which looks like it could be suggesting "aurora" which in Japanese is オーロラ ("ourora"). アロー ("arou") is also how "arrow" would be written.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    7.8/10 2: Way Too Much Water Boogaloo

My "problem" with it not being Spain is that in order for there to be a second region at all, they would have to actually admit that planes are a thing that exist and have been featured in main-series Pokémon games before in order for the player to go to the other region. Otherwise, I think this basically confirms there's only gonna be one region this game.

alola.jpg

Here's a more clearer image of what was shown in the trailer. It seems too small to be a Region with eight gyms and so on, so perhaps we will be able to travel to multiple islands? Hawaii is made up of several relatively large islands, maybe it will be possible to travel between them being close to one another?

I certainly hope there's more to the region than this. It would make sense, being based on Hawaii, if there were other islands. But if this is the only region featured in the game I wouldn't want it to be as small (or in this case, even smaller) than Kalos.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • The name, honestly, is a bit disapointing for me. It is just taken from the term Aloha, which I find a bit lazy. They could have done MUCH better

Tru.

Aside from that I'm pretty excited. The tropical vibes will bring a very different feel to Pokemon, at least that's how I feel. Certainly not disappointed!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Game Freak likes to take liberties with regions. No doubt you'll see snow routes, or caves or whatever.

It's not like you'll find a desert in the middle of New York.

Years
  • Game Freak likes to take liberties with regions. No doubt you'll see snow routes, or caves or whatever.

It's not like you'll find a desert in the middle of New York.
    Well, I mean, it does snow in Hawaii on the big island at the highest elevation so there's no need to take too many liberties with the terrain or climate.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Yeah I am almost 100% sure there are more Islands. I don't think there is anyway possible for that to be the only island it is just way way too small.

The Raffle's Hotel thing isn't seen in the map, and usually buildings like that are easily pointed out on the map.

Also at the Sundial in Kalos, you can see 8 shadows in the ocean in which look like islands. And as I said, the south part of the map doesn't end. It continues on.

Also most maps, you can easily tell there will be a lot of towns, but again, here you cannot. At most I see 4 towns. It would also take away form the Hawaiian theme if there was only one island I think.

It is also called the Rainbow State and the code name was rainbow.

From what we see, the island isn't modernized enough to really require vehicles and we saw a good amount of vehicles in the first trailer.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • The island seems like a scene from the game, perhaps upon arrival? Kukui does say 'Welcome to Paradise', implying that we came from somewhere else. I'm guessing it might be from plane this time. Anyways it's not the official map, yet. I think that villainous team could occupy an entire island, perhaps one of the in real-life unhabited ones.

ShadyDragonite149

Shadydragonite's Profile
    Years
  • I have theorized that the person that gives you your starter is named Hala like a Hala tree ( Pandanus tectorius) in Hawaii. Hala is the professor?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Hala is the big guy and Kukui is the guy with the lab coat. Both are trees.

Also, the area in which you get your starter is at the top of the island. You can tell by the platform. This further explain that this might be just one of the islands. We arrive in the city and have to walk up the hill.

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I've mentioned this on Serebii and Bulbagarden, but each island could just have its own artwork in the style of other regional maps, and GameFreak just chose to use the PC's home island to introduce Alola as a whole. There are likely 7 more maps we haven't seen yet.

The name, honestly, is a bit disapointing for me. It is just taken from the term Aloha, which I find a bit lazy. They could have done MUCH better

Quick question, did Japan have a name for Kanto back in Gen I?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The smaller circle is the town/village where we get out pokemon. You see that entire village in 1 camera angle. And you can tell by the houses in the trailer and the platform that is in the center of the village.

The bigger town, you see basically the whole town while running toward it. This region is way too small as said. The purple line is the route in which I think we will have to walk to get our pokemon after arriving.

0ftqWFo.png

This is the entire big town on that map:
    IdNXzDz.png

This is the village on top of the hill, in which you get your starter.
    yfabCnk.png

The image from the art, with the fountain that every said looked like Raffles Hotel is no where in those screen shots.

Also the island that this is based on, looking at the shape alone, is known as 'The Gathering Island'

Back