• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Quick question, did Japan have a name for Kanto back in Gen I?

From Bulbapedia:
    Until the release of Pokémon Gold and Silver, Kanto's name was seen only once in the Japanese Generation I games: upon viewing the Town Map at Blue's house. It was never mentioned in the Generation I games outside of Japan, and thus many fans assumed the region was called "Indigo", based on the name of the Indigo Plateau. By the time the Generation III remakes, Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, were released, Kanto's name was firmly established and appeared regularly in-game.
    Here is a screenshot of the scene in question. The translation given is,
    "A map of the Kanto region!
    I hope she gives it to me..."

So the name has always been Kanto.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2017
    I'm thinking that as you're introduced to the region, you're quite clearly new here and so i'd like to say that we're from Kalos. This coming from the sundial theory and also i kinda think that the character looks like a slightly older version of the X and Y one. That being the case, perhaps we can travel back to Kalos at some point, would be nice to explore other, previously unreachable, areas of the region and give Zygarde some kind of meaning. Perhaps that would be too much though?

Other than that, i like that there are more character designs to choose from and the region is beautiful from what we've seen so far

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm thinking that as you're introduced to the region, you're quite clearly new here and so i'd like to say that we're from Kalos. This coming from the sundial theory and also i kinda think that the character looks like a slightly older version of the X and Y one. That being the case, perhaps we can travel back to Kalos at some point, would be nice to explore other, previously unreachable, areas of the region and give Zygarde some kind of meaning. Perhaps that would be too much though?

Other than that, i like that there are more character designs to choose from and the region is beautiful from what we've seen so far
    Maybe we will. I wonder if we'll ever find out where XY's PC is from, since they had moved too. Kanto maybe? Or Unova?

We do know that RSEOrAs' is from Johto. Maybe to tie in with OrAs these player will be from Hoenn.

Hmm, could the jp trailer have been a hint to that? The boy seemed Japanese (and kind of reminded me of the MPC), so I think the PC is from one of the Japanese regions.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Maybe we will. I wonder if we'll ever find out where XY's PC is from, since they had moved too. Kanto maybe? Or Unova?

We do know that RSEOrAs' is from Johto. Maybe to tie in with OrAs these player will be from Hoenn.

Hmm, could the jp trailer have been a hint to that? The boy seemed Japanese (and kind of reminded me of the MPC), so I think the PC is from one of the Japanese regions.
    Don't think they'll be from Hoenn. In the intro it says welcome to paradise... and Hoenn, due to how tropical it is, can be considered paradise, too. Kalos is probably most likely.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Planes exist. Just ask Skyla.

Commercial airliners are so far unseen, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If need be, we'll probably (also?) travel by boat.
    Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned that planes have been featured in main-series Pokémon games before--Skyla's planes. But conveniently planes are forgotten when the subject turns to, "How about we visit somewhere else, too?" I gotta respect the protagonist's dedication to athletics, though, going to another region only if it's possible to get there by foot.

I can imagine using boat travel to get from island to island (if the region ends up being divided into multiple islands); maybe they could do that for going to another region, too. It's just that past regions had boats but they still used the "the other regions are too far" excuse, so boat travel isn't usually what I think of when it comes to this subject.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Well it would technically make sense if the player came from Hoenn, since back in Ruby and Sapphire, Brendan or May came from Johto, the region that the previous games before it (GSC) was held. Since the last games of the series were ORAS, it could continue the trend. :3

Years
  • As nice as the map looks, it seems a bit small to me. Maybe there are more islands in store? "Island hopping" if you will~

I think the Hawaiian/Tropical theme is very refreshing, I can't wait to see what else they do with it!

Years
  • I'm guessing that wherever your character comes from it's either Unova since New York and Hawaii are both part of America, or Kalos since you have the option of giving your character darker skin like you could in those games. But maybe it's not all that important. I don't get the impression that we'll be traveling to old regions anyway.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2016
    So another region in the USA which makes me wonder if it will be route one or be route (whatever Unova stopped at) plus evos for Unova pokemon like how the first 4 gens all had connections due to being in Japan.

Well it would technically make sense if the player came from Hoenn, since back in Ruby and Sapphire, Brendan or May came from Johto, the region that the previous games before it (GSC) was held. Since the last games of the series were ORAS, it could continue the trend. :3

I'm hoping Kanto myself just due to the anniversary

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Looking at the map again, I really can't see this being the entire region. That one city on the left takes up like a quarter of the whole island.

I mean even ignoring that it would be really weird to visit a region based on Hawaii and not do a lot of island hopping.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Looking at the map again, I really can't see this being the entire region. That one city on the left takes up like a quarter of the whole island.

I mean even ignoring that it would be really weird to visit a region based on Hawaii and not do a lot of island hopping.

These are my exact thoughts. If you include the village at the top of the hill as well, in which you get your pokemon, the city and town take up about half the map. And I do not see many routes. Possibly 5 routes.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    These are my exact thoughts. If you include the village at the top of the hill as well, in which you get your pokemon, the city and town take up about half the map. And I do not see many routes. Possibly 5 routes.

Not to mention if the house on the beach at the bottom right of the island is where you start out (I watched a video where they were theorizing that the beach house is your home) then that whole path (we saw it in the trailer) up to the town where you get your starters isn't going to have any grass for catching Pokemon.

The whole island suddenly seems very small on it's own.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2016
    I realise it makes sense because of the anniversary and all that but I'm personally so bored of Kanto. We've been able to explore it in so many different games now. I don't think we need to see it again. :(

Or they can let the player choose at the start. Like what region are you from? What is your personality type? etc

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2016
    It's definitely not a bad idea but I really doubt the game can fit that much. If I had to choose a region to return to I think Kalos would make sense as it has plenty of unfinished business, but I'd prefer them just to make the new region much larger with tons of cool places to explore.

Oh I just meant Kanto has a reference not a place to return. Like how in Hoenn you were from Johto but it was just a reference. Though looking back it would have been cooler if Norman was Morty or Chuck and someone you saw in Johto and not some new guy. That or Norman had a role like a student under a gym leader and we find out he grew up to move to Hoenn to be a gym leader

blue

gucci
    Years
  • With the Region being so heavily water based, I'm starting to think that we may be able to swim across the waters without the use of Surf as a HM. Surf could be changed into a TM and some sort of new swimming mechanic could replace it. Soar was a step in the right direction, for me it took away the need for Fly which is one way they could do this. If the Gyms are located on separate islands, then surely that would mean we would be travelling to different islands at early stages which wouldn't be when we would have access to Surf. It would make more sense for all Water-type Pokemon to have the ability or learn how to swim, this would eliminate the need to wait until half way through the game to access Surf for water routes.

Back