• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Super Mario 35th Anniversary Direct

pkmin3033

In what seems to be the new Nintendo fashion, today a 16-minute Super Mario direct was dropped out of the blue, confirming the oft-rumoured remasters of past titles (which unfortunately includes Sunshine) and announcing some new titles on the horizon.

Will you be buying any of these? Had you placed any stock in the rumours surrounding the remasters, and are you pleased by their confirmation? Anything you wish they'd included?

User Anon 1848

As someone who never touched the Wii-U I'm loving all of these ports/remasters. Hopefully the Metroid Prime trilogy is next. I'll definitely be getting Super Mario 3D All-Stars later this month and I'll likely get Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury when it comes out early next year as well. I haven't played any of these games before (though I did play the DS remake of Super Mario 64) so I have a ton of "new" content to look forward to. Maybe I should finally buy and play Breath Of The Wild before tackling all these ports haha.

Years
    i'll probably purchase it to replay sunshine and galaxy! kinda disappointed that SM64 wasn't just being..released on Nintendo Switch Online with a bunch of other N64 games :/

pkmin3033

I'm kinda appalled with Nintendo here - why on earth is the digital version of 3D All Stars limited as well? That makes absolutely ZERO business sense. I can understand limited physical production (even if I personally find that reprehensible) because we're in the middle of a global pandemic and it just seems to be the way things are right now. Hell, Limited Run Games make a living off of it. But a digital timed exclusive? Does their interest in making money expire after a certain date? There is no logical reason for it. In a digital landscape, making something a limited-time purchase in an effort to boost sales will NEVER make up for the sales they could have made if they just kept the games up permanently. Bringing them back at a later date will not do this either. For crying out loud, this is MARIO. It's not something like Kid Icarus or F-Zero. It's Nintendo's flagship franchise. No way in any reality does Mario need this kind of cheap trash tactic to generate millions in revenue.

Also...yeaaah, the choices made in 3D All Stars are pretty bad. It's long past time we had N64 titles on NSO. This collection should really have been Sunshine and both of the Galaxy titles...although I have to admit that I would have preferred 64 and both of the Galaxy titles, because Sunshine is reviled by many for very valid reasons as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I'm sure there are many out there who are pleased to have it in the collection - and who knows, maybe it hasn't aged THAT badly - but...well, yeah. I never got to play either of the Galaxy titles and whilst I'm glad the first made it in there, the question of "Where is Galaxy 2 Switch?" is going to be one that is going to hang around for a long time I think...and that's a real shame.

Everything else? Ehhhh. Maybe I'll give 3D World a try if I can find it for an affordable price, because Mario games aren't worth £50. I haven't booted up the SNES app on NSO yet and if/when I do I will have higher priorities, and the rest I could not possibly care less about. Overall I think it was a pretty good presentation considering the circumstances, but as Nintendo are Nintendo, they just had to taint it somehow, and they did a great job doing just that. Timed purchase digital games, I ask you...

Years
    I'm kinda appalled with Nintendo here - why on earth is the digital version of 3D All Stars limited as well? That makes absolutely ZERO business sense. I can understand limited physical production (even if I personally find that reprehensible) because we're in the middle of a global pandemic and it just seems to be the way things are right now. Hell, Limited Run Games make a living off of it. But a digital timed exclusive? Does their interest in making money expire after a certain date? There is no logical reason for it. In a digital landscape, making something a limited-time purchase in an effort to boost sales will NEVER make up for the sales they could have made if they just kept the games up permanently. Bringing them back at a later date will not do this either. For crying out loud, this is MARIO. It's not something like Kid Icarus or F-Zero. It's Nintendo's flagship franchise. No way in any reality does Mario need this kind of cheap trash tactic to generate millions in revenue.
    Agree 100% with this -- makes me think that something :tm: will happen in March - IDK if that's N64 on NSO, or what, but it just.....doesn't seem logical to make a game in 2020 a """limited release""".
    Also...yeaaah, the choices made in 3D All Stars are pretty bad. It's long past time we had N64 titles on NSO. This collection should really have been Sunshine and both of the Galaxy titles...although I have to admit that I would have preferred 64 and both of the Galaxy titles, because Sunshine is reviled by many for very valid reasons as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I'm sure there are many out there who are pleased to have it in the collection - and who knows, maybe it hasn't aged THAT badly - but...well, yeah. I never got to play either of the Galaxy titles and whilst I'm glad the first made it in there, the question of "Where is Galaxy 2 Switch?" is going to be one that is going to hang around for a long time I think...and that's a real shame.
    yeah it should be Galaxy 1 and 2 with Sunshine 100%. I've only played maybe half of the first galaxy game but what i did play was super fun, so I'll probably wind up getting this regardless but..it just makes no sense for them to ignore Galaxy 2 lmao.

pkmin3033

Agree 100% with this -- makes me think that something :tm: will happen in March - IDK if that's N64 on NSO, or what, but it just.....doesn't seem logical to make a game in 2020 a """limited release""".
    Well, there has been a lot of buzz about a 35th Anniversary Zelda collection since that's going to be February next year, so perhaps we'll get something like that and they'll rotate the two for whatever godforsaken reason they have for doing things like this? Honestly I don't put much stock in rumours, but there are renewed trademarks for the Zelda franchise so...possibly. Although the favourite rumour for Zelda remasters is Skyward Sword - that's been up on Amazon a couple of times now I think - so perhaps not...although a WW/TP/SS collection would be lovely...

But the possibility of Galaxy 2 coming as a full-fledged remaster and separate release is a nice one...worst-case scenario I can think of is they split them up and sell them for higher prices individually. That'd be a pretty scummy thing to do that would in no way enamour them towards consumers though, and perhaps Nintendo aren't *quite* at that sort of level yet.

yeah it should be Galaxy 1 and 2 with Sunshine 100%. I've only played maybe half of the first galaxy game but what i did play was super fun, so I'll probably wind up getting this regardless but..it just makes no sense for them to ignore Galaxy 2 lmao.
    I don't think the release of Mario 64 in this is even the DS version, it's just an upscaled N64 re-release? That's especially disappointing tbh because the DS version had additional content IIRC...or at least additional player characters.

Years
    Well, there has been a lot of buzz about a 35th Anniversary Zelda collection since that's going to be February next year, so perhaps we'll get something like that and they'll rotate the two for whatever godforsaken reason they have for doing things like this? Honestly I don't put much stock in rumours, but there are renewed trademarks for the Zelda franchise so...possibly. Although the favourite rumour for Zelda remasters is Skyward Sword - that's been up on Amazon a couple of times now I think - so perhaps not...although a WW/TP/SS collection would be lovely...
    yeah I've seen rumors of a SS remake, and if they addressed the gimmick-issues, I'd definitely get the remake. I'd throw money down even faster if it featured TPHD and WWHD because that's literally one of the main reasons I have my Wii U in my living room and not in storage lmao.
    (I also saw a Zelda fanpage dream for a Zelda-Capcom remake bundle and honestly I would be SO Happy. OoS/OoA/TMC are SO good/underrated)

I don't think the release of Mario 64 in this is even the DS version, it's just an upscaled N64 re-release? That's especially disappointing tbh because the DS version had additional content IIRC...or at least additional player characters.
    Yeah it'd be nice to have the DS content as like an option or something.

Years
    • Seen today
    Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario game of all time, and was a game I grew up with. I probably won't purchase as it's really the only one I'm interested in, and I got all 120 shines pretty recently on a playthrough.

Back