• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Swords Dance doesn't do anything, I'll make him learn HYPER BEAM!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I sometimes use those attacks early on, but normally I switch to offensive attacks around the first gym. I prefer speedy and accurate attacks, like Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. I don't like Blizzard or Thunder, though. I'd rather not use the chance of missing.

Mongo

Go Mets!
    Years
    For the most part, I still only use attack moves in-game. Competitive battling is a different story, of course...

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    one calm mind is not enough to stop my attacks head on. in the time it takes for two of those, your 3/4 gone or more with a well built and fast guy. if you want stats, EV train.

Thats cool and all except most Calm Mind users have either Rest or Recover and pretty much wall you as they continue to set up Calm Mind then heal off all the damage. EV training alone wont win you battles.

As for me, back in the day i didn't. I used to sell all my non damaging move tms and teach my pokes all damaging moves all of the same type (i.e my Blastoise knew Hydro Pump/Water Gun/Surf and Water Pulse) :/ lol

Now however i do since damaging attacks alone arent gonna win you many battles competitively.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    In competitive, that strategy is pretty much ruined up, phazers and hazers are everywhere in competitve (especially in Standard) with moves like Taunt(that doesn't let you use boosting moves), Haze(Eliminates stat-changes), Whirlwind & Roar(These are the main problem, you've already [somehow] setted up your mighty 893 Attack and 754 Speed Rampardos with help from your Ninjask, and a Skarmory comes in and uses Whirlwind. Fin.

With Skarmory using Whirlwind (-priority, I believe), I'm pretty sure Rampardos will hit first.
    With 893 Attack, I'm pretty sure Rampardos will KO first.

Pokeplup

The Techno Turtwig
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    Well, I Really do prefer Accurate, Offensive moves which can cause Status aliments. Mainly the moves like FlameThrower, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt.
    I Also thought about using Skill Swap as an advantage. For Abilites such as Color Change or Wonder Guard. Though i have not tried it out yet...

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Back when I first got Diamond, I was a noob. My Infernape was horribly overleveled compared to the rest of my team during my E4 runs (Lv. 75 vs. Lv 30? I dunno), knew only Fire moves, and (understandably) lost multiple times against Bertha. I restarted, raised a more balanced team, but still hadn't learned. It wasn't until Summer 2009 that I got rid of my Pokémon's type-exclusive movesets (eg Infernape with Fire Blast, Blast Burn, Dig, and Flamethrower; Mantine with Surf, Hydro Pump, Waterfall, and Defog, etc), and it wasn't until I got into competitve battling that I actually began using the faintest hints of strategy.

Needless to say, I now understand how to better make teams thanks to repeated failures on Shoddy and daily strategy talks at lunch every day at school.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    i prefer to teach my pokemon a diverse set of attack moves, usually 4different types, with 2 gettin stab ^_^
    but otherwise,i rarely use status moves, not use they "dont do anythin"
    just cuz their not my style, ill use paralysis, and poison, & sleep but thats bout it ^^"

larrysturtle

Let's battle :)
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2014
    Yeah, i didnt care much for moves to powerup pokemon until recently when i discovered EV training and competitive battling.

Now instead of brute forcing my way thru the campaign, I used a lot more strategy and balanced movesets. Guess thats the advantage of growing older

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2011
    On my first ever play through of the game I just assumed that a move learnt later on was better so i only ever really used the last four moves a pokemon learns, with the exception of hms. but when i finally realised the pp runs out really fast I used more strategy in my move sets! :)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I found most common non-damaging moves (such as Growl, Leer, stat lowering/raising moves, so to speak) quite useless when I was little. The only ones I like were any status inflicting moves (especially Attract and Toxic), Perish Song, healing moves, and Sand-Attack. Those were what I wanted, little things like Growl, I'd pass. But this was all gen I and II. When gen III came out and there were more useful stat moves (at least that I payed attention to), I found them more useful. So for in-game plays, I typically have a mixed set, or at least one non-damaging move. As for competitive sets, we all know how they work.

Years
    Theres a few stat boosters I kept around that I dish out in the game.. mostly when I go fight the elite 4/Gym Battles. But with all the grinding I can do there, it's not likely I'll use them all the time.

A few I use..

Garados + Dragon Dance = :D
    Clefable + Reflect + Charm = Surprizingly good enemy debuffer.
    Machamp + Focus Energy + Cross Chop = Cross Chop has a high crit rating on its own, focus energy makes it more common. Trick is connecting Cross Chop. But when it does hit, and crits, few things can stand up to it.

When I first started playing the game though waaay waaaaay back in the day I used to get rid of things like these.

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    yea, i only keep focus energy for someone who will use slash or something similar often, but i'd think a machamp with crosschop can already kill most people in one hit lol.

Markus_of_Hoenn

Grass-Type Lover
    Years
    When i was fresh to Pokemon i thought that the next move he learned was better, then it went to all offensive. Now I cant go without apprehending my opponent in some way. Paralyze and confuse, or sleep; I must. Then boost myself.
    My Leafeon in Platinum:
    -Leaf Blade to complement it's high attack stat, High critical hit ratio too ^,^
    -Synthesis Restores HP
    -Sword Dance Boosts attack
    -Grass Whistle Puts foe to sleep(i just pray it hits)
    (Holding Razor Claw for a higher critical hit ratio)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    When i was fresh to Pokemon i thought that the next move he learned was better, then it went to all offensive. Now I cant go without apprehending my opponent in some way. Paralyze and confuse, or sleep; I must. Then boost myself.
    My Leafeon in Platinum:
    -Leaf Blade to complement it's high attack stat, High critical hit ratio too ^,^
    -Synthesis Restores HP
    -Sword Dance Boosts attack
    -Grass Whistle Puts foe to sleep(i just pray it hits)
    (Holding Razor Claw for a higher critical hit ratio)

lolololol, only a grass move? Someone still needs to keep improving. You won't need Synthesis on your sweeping Leafeon...tbh, you don't even need Grass Whistle.

RTHookers

Banned
    Years
    Were you one of those persons who put stat-increasing moves on their Pokémon? Or did you just put offensive attacks, thinking that stat-increasing didn't do anything?

I remember thinking that Swords Dance, Agility, Calm Mind, Haze, Focus Energy and those moves didn't do anything; so (in-game) I sold them and bought some other things. But they're really useful in Competitive Battling, Batton Pass + Sword Dance or Calm Mind or something + Suction Cups Pokémon = :D

Oh, but that was a long, long time ago; what about you? Did you make your Pokémon's movepool offensive, defensive or anything goes; or what?
    All out attacks.
    But I didn't really know English back then =/

Years
    It depended on the move, for me. I used Sand-Attack and Double Team like crazy and I loved Substitute. I also used Growth and Agility. Oh, and anything that induced status I liked.

Moves I didn't use included things that lowered opponent's abilities [and for the most part, I still don't use those] and a few stat-raisers like Meditate. And I hated Bide because it took me years to figure out how it worked.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    In game, that strategy pretty much sucks. Why would yo spend your time making that strategy when you could be grinding?
    In competitive, that strategy is pretty much ruined up, phazers and hazers are everywhere in competitve (especially in Standard) with moves like Taunt(that doesn't let you use boosting moves), Haze(Eliminates stat-changes), Whirlwind & Roar(These are the main problem, you've already [somehow] setted up your mighty 893 Attack and 754 Speed Rampardos with help from your Ninjask, and a Skarmory comes in and uses Whirlwind. Fin.
    Unless, of course, you have a Suction Cups Pokémon (Octillery & Cradily); but they're not worth the pass, one is pretty frail (Octillery) and the other ones is killed by STAB Technician Bullet Punch or STAB Ice Beam; pretty common moves (Cradily).

Of course, If you're battling with your noob friend that doesn't know about pseudo-hazing and taunting, then you're lucky. I love killing my friends with things like 999 Attack and 999 Speed Magikarp or Dunsparce xD
    I play competitive battling alot I know that it will get completly ruined with Hazers,Psuedo Hazers and Taunters.I dont acctually use a BP Team i just did it for the lols.And the "if your battleing a noob freind who doesn't know psuedo hazing and taunting" thats actually the point because im showing the if they had such moves they could of countered my team.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back