• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of Symphonia

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    Yeah. Going up to kick the sylphs' butts but got turned over instead (can't even take 1!!!!! down. ARGH!). (btw, for ppl who don't know what I'm talking about, well you'll find out sooner or later lol) O, I made a review for it for when I was still quite early in the game (well I am right now).

SPOILERS

Yo, Kratos in the end joins you if you want...and kick Zelos off the darn party.

END OF SPOILERS

btw, I've got a review without spoilers hehehe:

Tales of Symphonia is the newest installment of the Tales series by Namco. It is only for the Nintendo Gamecube and houses 2 discs within the package. The amount of memory required to save is 3 blocks. Really, that's all the general stuff you need to know.

Graphics

Well this is an ambitious title in terms of graphics. This cel-shade has never been done before, as this cell shade is far too complicated compared to soemthing like Zelda: WW. Anyway, the actual 3D graphics have this cel-shading that makes it look like anime. I mean, you do feel like you're playing in an anime with these cel-shaded characters. The backgrounds are neutral as usual (without cel-shading) and usually are very nice. Also, the special effects don't lack at all. In fact, it's at least on par with Final Fantasy x-2, if not better.

Cinematics in this game are impressive, as all of it comes in the form of anime. The opening sequence was absolutely gorgeous (Kosuke Fujishima is a genius!!!). However, there is a lack of these cinematics in the first 8 hours of play (beaten 4 bosses total and can go fight at least 3 more in any order I want...and not a SINGLE cinematic) was rather disappointing. All in all, the graphics, although ambitious, worked out nicely. Kudos!

9/10

Battle System

The meat and potatoes of the game, as they always say. And I'll get right down to it. The main battle system is similar to that of Star Ocean series (and the Tales series for that matter. lol). Basically, you walk around in an area and monsters will be about (either as shadows or in the shape of something you can recognize as a monster). You can run away from them or run straight into them to fight. Also, the monsters may walk around, run away, or even run toward you to attack you (they say it's depending on your level, but I'm saying they just do this stuff randomly).

Once you hit the battle screen, you control one of your party members (you chose already outsdie of battle) and you can run up to your opponents to attack them via the A button (you can combine this with directional buttons too), attack them with techniques via the B button (also you can use directional pads with the button to do different moves that you've set during or before the battle), or use the X button to guard attacks (damage dealt to you reduces, also you do not flinch after being hit). You can also use forward and backward on the joystick to move toward or away from a certain enemy (Up to jump and down to duck). To select the enemy you wish to destroy, you hold R and then move the target left and right until you pick the correct one. If not, the computer picks the closest enemy. Anyway, techniques cost tech points (TP), which you gain via winning battles or hitting your opponent with you basic weapon, and they usually are stronger or has more range than your regular attack (think of them as magic).

At a later point in the game, unison attacks wil become available. This allows you to chain MASSIVE combos using techniques (Doesn't consume tech points! just comsumes the unison attack meter! You build that up also by attacking the enemy or enemies). The workings of this will be explained to you and is a pleasant addition to the game. Also, you may also find different combinations that allow you to add even more than just 4 techniques into the attack, causing even MORE devestating damage (my record is 2335 damage with unison alone...8 hours into a game...). I find myself intrigued by this system and I think I will continue to experiment with it until I find the best damage possible.

8/10

Character mods

Well mods for each character comes in many ways. The first is the standard equipment stuff, where you can equip items that you got or bought. Characters are usually limited to what they can use in the beginning of the game (i.e. a sword user can only use swords), so the customization isn't really there. However, if you can start taking innocent items, add some stuff that you get from defeating monsters, and customize them, that would be cool. Wait, weapon customization is in the game! YAY (it's limited tho...)!

the second form of customization comes from good ol' EX gems. Basically, you get these gems and you can equip them to characters. This allows them to gain either new skills or better stats or other things. There are 4 levels of gems and they get increasingly stronger as the level goes up. However, once you equip an EX gem on a character, it stays on the character (and it can only be replaced). All characters start with at least 1 EX gem (usually at level 1 too), and you can start customizing right away. EX gems also have another specialty. When you have the right combination of EX gems, your character then can learn a compound ability along with the usual stat upgrade/other upgrades that the EX gem would normally give. The compound abilities also vary from character to character, just like the EX gems themselves. The problem with the gems: they are very rare and if you want ot buy them, they cost ridiculous amounts of a different form of currency (the game has 2 types of currency. The second takes a LOT of time to gain, and you may even LOSE them during battle...darn grade). Usually a battle you gain 1 or 2 grade (and it doesn't change at the end of the game either, unlike the other currency)...a level 4 EX gem costs 200 grade! Anyway, EX gems also help determine whether a character is "strike" type or "technique" type, which allow the character to learn different moves as they level up (strike I think is more of the brute force type, dealing single hits of damage, whereas techniques tend to spread the same amount of damage in different combos instead). All in all, not a very good system here, but it's okay.

The final customization coems from character titles. These can be accessed through the status screen. Everyone starts with a certain title and they gain different titles when certain conditions are met (e.g. Llyod gains a title for doing combos). These also allow you to choose how a character will grow in the long run (although you can only see gray/red/green to see whether a title is better than another or something). Either way, it's a nice addition to the game and can really help you customize. Besides, minigames tends to go along with titles *hint*. lol

8/10

Cooking

funny how cooking's part of the game. But it is. it's just like what it says, you cook by putting in the right ingredients. Then you either succeed or fail at it. You can get recipes from the cooking guy hidden throughout the game to help you out. Also, characters have a tendency to cook better as they cook more, and this game reflects that with a star-rating system. The more you cook, the more likely you will succeed and the more likely the cooking will do much better. I like how you can also add extra ingredients in addition to the original ingredients to make whatever cooking more powerful/rewarding.

7/10

Music

Nothing to say but to whoever made the soundtrack should be given a raise. WAIT! THE GUY DID ALL THE TALES AND STAR OCEAN MUSIC! NO WONDER! lol

10/10

Sound (includes voice acting)

It's pretty good. Throw in the random stereotypical sounds of monsters and stuff, you know...generic.

Voice acting on the other hand (at this point) is excellent. Aside from the voice of Colette (I can't imagine a voice like that on a girl like that for some reason. But they have reason to believe that Colette has that type of voice), I think the voice acting suits the characters well. Yay!

8/10

Plot (tentative. also, this contains spoilers if you think the first HOUR counts as spoilers.)

Baiscally, the world is on the brink of destruction and the Chosen (Colette) must set out on a journey to revive the mana goddess and therefore save the world from destruction. However, everyone doubts this as the LAST Chosen died before completing this mission.

So then Colette has to set out to open these seals to the Tower of Salvation, where she can climb to the heavens to revive the Mana Goddess Martel.

Now throw in our other main character, Lloyd. He is a long-time friend of Colette and is also determined to aid her in every way possible. After he was exiled from his hometown, he also sets out with his bestfriend Genis to aid Colette in her quest. We also throw in Genis' sister (Raine) and a Mercenary (Kratos) for good measure.

Now the plot itself is easily predictable, but it is still more character driven compared to most of the other series, where it is events driven. In that way, even if it's going to be a love story (PREDICTION! MIGHT NOT BE TRUE) like all the other RPG games in the world, it is good.

7/10

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    Tales of Symphonia is the newest installment of the Tales series by Namco. It is only for the Nintendo Gamecube and houses 2 discs within the package. The amount of memory required to save is 3 blocks. Really, that's all the general stuff you need to know.

Graphics

Well this is an ambitious title in terms of graphics. This cel-shade has never been done before, as this cell shade is far too complicated compared to soemthing like Zelda: WW. Anyway, the actual 3D graphics have this cel-shading that makes it look like anime. I mean, you do feel like you're playing in an anime with these cel-shaded characters. The backgrounds are neutral as usual (without cel-shading) and usually are very nice. Also, the special effects don't lack at all. In fact, it's at least on par with Final Fantasy x-2, if not better.

Cinematics in this game are impressive, as all of it comes in the form of anime. The opening sequence was absolutely gorgeous (Kosuke Fujishima is a genius!!!). However, there is a lack of these cinematics in the first 8 hours of play (beaten 4 bosses total and can go fight at least 3 more in any order I want...and not a SINGLE cinematic) was rather disappointing. All in all, the graphics, although ambitious, worked out nicely. Kudos!

9/10

Battle System

The meat and potatoes of the game, as they always say. And I'll get right down to it. The main battle system is similar to that of Star Ocean series (and the Tales series for that matter. lol). Basically, you walk around in an area and monsters will be about (either as shadows or in the shape of something you can recognize as a monster). You can run away from them or run straight into them to fight. Also, the monsters may walk around, run away, or even run toward you to attack you (they say it's depending on your level, but I'm saying they just do this stuff randomly).

Once you hit the battle screen, you control one of your party members (you chose already outsdie of battle) and you can run up to your opponents to attack them via the A button (you can combine this with directional buttons too), attack them with techniques via the B button (also you can use directional pads with the button to do different moves that you've set during or before the battle), or use the X button to guard attacks (damage dealt to you reduces, also you do not flinch after being hit). You can also use forward and backward on the joystick to move toward or away from a certain enemy (Up to jump and down to duck). To select the enemy you wish to destroy, you hold R and then move the target left and right until you pick the correct one. If not, the computer picks the closest enemy. Anyway, techniques cost tech points (TP), which you gain via winning battles or hitting your opponent with you basic weapon, and they usually are stronger or has more range than your regular attack (think of them as magic).

At a later point in the game, unison attacks wil become available. This allows you to chain MASSIVE combos using techniques (Doesn't consume tech points! just comsumes the unison attack meter! You build that up also by attacking the enemy or enemies). The workings of this will be explained to you and is a pleasant addition to the game. Also, you may also find different combinations that allow you to add even more than just 4 techniques into the attack, causing even MORE devestating damage (my record is 2335 damage with unison alone...8 hours into a game...). I find myself intrigued by this system and I think I will continue to experiment with it until I find the best damage possible.

8/10

Character mods

Well mods for each character comes in many ways. The first is the standard equipment stuff, where you can equip items that you got or bought. Characters are usually limited to what they can use in the beginning of the game (i.e. a sword user can only use swords), so the customization isn't really there. However, if you can start taking innocent items, add some stuff that you get from defeating monsters, and customize them, that would be cool. Wait, weapon customization is in the game! YAY (it's limited tho...)!

the second form of customization comes from good ol' EX gems. Basically, you get these gems and you can equip them to characters. This allows them to gain either new skills or better stats or other things. There are 4 levels of gems and they get increasingly stronger as the level goes up. However, once you equip an EX gem on a character, it stays on the character (and it can only be replaced). All characters start with at least 1 EX gem (usually at level 1 too), and you can start customizing right away. EX gems also have another specialty. When you have the right combination of EX gems, your character then can learn a compound ability along with the usual stat upgrade/other upgrades that the EX gem would normally give. The compound abilities also vary from character to character, just like the EX gems themselves. The problem with the gems: they are very rare and if you want ot buy them, they cost ridiculous amounts of a different form of currency (the game has 2 types of currency. The second takes a LOT of time to gain, and you may even LOSE them during battle...darn grade). Usually a battle you gain 1 or 2 grade (and it doesn't change at the end of the game either, unlike the other currency)...a level 4 EX gem costs 200 grade! Anyway, EX gems also help determine whether a character is "strike" type or "technique" type, which allow the character to learn different moves as they level up (strike I think is more of the brute force type, dealing single hits of damage, whereas techniques tend to spread the same amount of damage in different combos instead). All in all, not a very good system here, but it's okay.

The final customization coems from character titles. These can be accessed through the status screen. Everyone starts with a certain title and they gain different titles when certain conditions are met (e.g. Llyod gains a title for doing combos). These also allow you to choose how a character will grow in the long run (although you can only see gray/red/green to see whether a title is better than another or something). Either way, it's a nice addition to the game and can really help you customize. Besides, minigames tends to go along with titles *hint*. lol

8/10

Cooking

funny how cooking's part of the game. But it is. it's just like what it says, you cook by putting in the right ingredients. Then you either succeed or fail at it. You can get recipes from the cooking guy hidden throughout the game to help you out. Also, characters have a tendency to cook better as they cook more, and this game reflects that with a star-rating system. The more you cook, the more likely you will succeed and the more likely the cooking will do much better. I like how you can also add extra ingredients in addition to the original ingredients to make whatever cooking more powerful/rewarding.

7/10

Music

Nothing to say but to whoever made the soundtrack should be given a raise. WAIT! THE GUY DID ALL THE TALES AND STAR OCEAN MUSIC! NO WONDER! lol

10/10

Sound (includes voice acting)

It's pretty good. Throw in the random stereotypical sounds of monsters and stuff, you know...generic.

Voice acting on the other hand (at this point) is excellent. Aside from the voice of Colette (I can't imagine a voice like that on a girl like that for some reason. But they have reason to believe that Colette has that type of voice), I think the voice acting suits the characters well. Yay!

8/10

Plot (tentative. also, this contains spoilers if you think the first HOUR counts as spoilers.)

Baiscally, the world is on the brink of destruction and the Chosen (Colette) must set out on a journey to revive the mana goddess and therefore save the world from destruction. However, everyone doubts this as the LAST Chosen died before completing this mission.

So then Colette has to set out to open these seals to the Tower of Salvation, where she can climb to the heavens to revive the Mana Goddess Martel.

Now throw in our other main character, Lloyd. He is a long-time friend of Colette and is also determined to aid her in every way possible. After he was exiled from his hometown, he also sets out with his bestfriend Genis to aid Colette in her quest. We also throw in Genis' sister (Raine) and a Mercenary (Kratos) for good measure.

Now the plot itself is easily predictable, but it is still more character driven compared to most of the other series, where it is events driven. In that way, even if it's going to be a love story like all the other RPG games in the world, it is good.

7/10

Length

Really, they say it's over 80 hours of gameplay. but when Nintendo Power says this and that you get unison attacks 10 hours into the game (and I got unison attacks 4 hours into the game...), well it's not going to be that long unless I go train like a maniac (which I am actually. HA! And I'm still ahead of their schedule!). I find the training much more entertaining and it's worth a shot!

7/10

Extras/Goodies

If you didn't pre-order the game (I didn't either), you don't get the artbook (I want!!!!) and the poster (I WANT!!!!). Also, I don't recall any extras that come with the game itself (like the other games). Oh well.

In terms of the in-game extras. There are many things to go the second time through. You can go take a different path to end up in the same place or take the same path to different places. It's the non-linear style of this game that's intriguing to me and I think I'll at least play it through twice (along with the cool secret shop the you can get only after beating the game once). So not much goodies here either...sigh.

4/10

Overall

What do you think? I mean, I think i've said enough to convince or disconvince you. Basically it coems down to this: you like RPGs? If no, then don't go get it. If yes, ask yourself if you can live with the battle system. if you can, get it. If you can't, don't get it. All in all, go to like EB games or something and try out the battle system! But from what I know, the battle system is a okay.

Overall scoring: 8/10

Tweak

wow...that is very in depth, if i didn't already have the game that info. would be really useful. :D so, who is everyone's favorite character?

ryrygt

Lord of Fire
    Years
    i am thinking about buying it...is it worth to buy...and how long does it take to beat it?is there any replay value?

ryrygt

Lord of Fire
    Years
    Wow really two discs? That's impressive! Another question i have is, is there multiplayer? And do you have to switch between both discs a lot?

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    The replay is pretty good since you can play again, but spend grade to bring over stuff to your next game like your items or skills etc.

Scyther5

One DEAD GUTTED Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    I never figured out mutiplayer. How do you get your 2nd controllers to control sombody..It didn't work when I tired it.

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    If you have a controller in port two, be sure to change the control type to manual for the character in the second slot of your party. ^_^; Same for the third slot, third character etc.
    My favorite character is Sheena. ^_^; Oh, and Zappy you don?t have to beat him, it?s just optional. The extra lvl3 EXSphere was worth the effort though, IMO. The sylphs were a pain, I took em down today. Be sure you have Raine standing back casting Nurse constantly, and don?t be afraid to jump out of battle and keep others alive. Lastly make any melee characters have the strat ?Attack Same? to take em down one by one.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    To switch to semi-auto or manual, you go to the Techs screen.

Fav. chara: Sheena (Next is either Colette or Presea. Fourth is Kratos, who is still cool. Zelos is up there too. Lady's man. lol)

btw, I murdered the sylphs today by insanely slapping them with everything I've got. After 9 life bottles, 14 apple gels, and 10 orange gels, I did it. lol After taking the first one down, the rest got easy. Yeah, Genis was MVP in that match. lol

Kratos I just couldn't beat (well I didn't try). I'll wait until the one-on-one before trying. lol

btw, on the replay value: you can take different paths in the game, but end up in the same place at the end, so you can switch the methods up if you want to, which adds to the replay value.

Tweak

wow...i spent all that effort beating kratos cause i thought the game would say "THE END" after that and i'd have to start over. i change my mind now, instead of kratos, i like zelos better.

i like to see the skits again, i guess that makes a good replay value...and slashing the weak enemies to bits with your high stats is also fun.

i keep on wishing they would make the video game into a cartoon or comic, does anyone know if they have a cartoon or comic of tales of symphonia?

Scyther5

One DEAD GUTTED Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    thanks Kairi...I feel so stupid XD, so who is every one favorite charector? My First one is obivius now...but my second is Kratos.

Shukuen Shinobi

Ninja Dude
    Years
    My first is Kratos...my second is probably Lloyd or Sheena.

Spoiler: I am now at...Well Duh...This is Spoilers

Tweak

zapz addicted to this game she's already so far off
    and i'm only in like the middle
    well zapz you do play 24/7

i played 30 hours total already. :) i don't know if that's a lot or a little, but i'm up to the temple of earth

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    What level are ya Zappy? Love the Sheena ava. :3

Back