• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[=][+]-TB's Tiles-[+][=]

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    [Introduction:]

Hey I'm TB Pro™. I am a ROM Hacker, and I thought I would make some tiles, instead of using everybody else's. I'm just a beginner, so don't expect them to be amazing. Hope you like them ^_^

[Projects:]
    #1 - [Chryna Tileset] - A Serene, Custom Tileset.
    #2 - [Platina Tileset] - A Rip/Resize of Platinum Tiles.

[Tiles:]
    [=][+]-TB's Tiles-[+][=]
    [=][+]-TB's Tiles-[+][=]

[Conclusion:]
    Please post your comments, suggestions, and critisism. Thanks!

Last edited:

[NovaPirate]

And the rest went riding on.
    Years
    Alright, you made a standard mistake. When shading tiles, you must remember it is different from shading trainer or Pokemon sprites.

Whereas in those two the light source is in the upper right hand corner, when shading tiles it is either in front or above the sprite, depending on the style :]

Years
    ACtually, the shading is very similar. The light is usually upper right, but can be just above the tiles in order to lower the count of 8x8 tiles that are needed.

Now, onto critique. The first tree looks decent. It has a nice outline, and details are fairly solid. One thing that can be improved is the dimensions. I have not measured it exactly, but it looks to be about 26 pixels wide. That will do if the tree is only going to be used a few times, but if it is a border tree, try making it between 29-32 pixels. The details, though fairly good, could be touched on a little more, to add more detail. The palette works well with this tree, but the top could be a little darker. Now for the smaller tree. It has a good outline, but it needs a lot of improvement. For one, the details need completely reworked. It looks like just a bunch of lines drawn inside the tree. Try making thse lines look like leaves, and shade accordingly. The top of the tree also shares the same problem with the bigger tree. For that third thing, to be comlpetely honest, I have no idea what it is. Now the bush looks great. The only thing I would do to it if I were you would be to add a small trunk to the bottom of it. The sign looks fine the way it is, except for one thing. Add some depth to it, which can be accomplished by adding two rows of pixels to the top of it. Now onto the teepee. It looks great, except for one majer thing: perspective. The teepee, right now, appears to be right in front of you. The correct perspect would be to see the top and the front of it. All you really need to do to it is round off the bottom.

Overall, good attempts. Don't let my comments get to you, I am a perfectionist. Continue spriting tiles!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    TEEPEE! :3

i love teepees lmao

thats what im gonna use as houses in my Hack ;P
    lool. Thanks man!

Alright, you made a standard mistake. When shading tiles, you must remember it is different from shading trainer or Pokemon sprites.

Whereas in those two the light source is in the upper right hand corner, when shading tiles it is either in front or above the sprite, depending on the style :]
    Oh, okay then.

ACtually, the shading is very similar. The light is usually upper right, but can be just above the tiles in order to lower the count of 8x8 tiles that are needed.

Now, onto critique. The first tree looks decent. It has a nice outline, and details are fairly solid. One thing that can be improved is the dimensions. I have not measured it exactly, but it looks to be about 26 pixels wide. That will do if the tree is only going to be used a few times, but if it is a border tree, try making it between 29-32 pixels. The details, though fairly good, could be touched on a little more, to add more detail. The palette works well with this tree, but the top could be a little darker. Now for the smaller tree. It has a good outline, but it needs a lot of improvement. For one, the details need completely reworked. It looks like just a bunch of lines drawn inside the tree. Try making thse lines look like leaves, and shade accordingly. The top of the tree also shares the same problem with the bigger tree. For that third thing, to be comlpetely honest, I have no idea what it is. Now the bush looks great. The only thing I would do to it if I were you would be to add a small trunk to the bottom of it. The sign looks fine the way it is, except for one thing. Add some depth to it, which can be accomplished by adding two rows of pixels to the top of it. Now onto the teepee. It looks great, except for one majer thing: perspective. The teepee, right now, appears to be right in front of you. The correct perspect would be to see the top and the front of it. All you really need to do to it is round off the bottom.

Overall, good attempts. Don't let my comments get to you, I am a perfectionist. Continue spriting tiles!
    Yeah, when I began to make the tile, I had the dimensions layed out right, but as I made the tile, I slowly strayed from the original size I had planned. Okay, I'll keep that in mind. For the smaller tree, I know it looks like rubbish, but I tried my best :P. I will try to re-work it! I noticed the top was too light on them as well...Guess I should have fixed that:P The third thing began as some sort of a healing Prism, but turned into a Hoothoot shrine-ish thing. I don't really know what it s myself. I know it could use some shading though.Thanks :) Yeah, I thought about adding a little Trunk at the bottom of it, but I decided against it for some odd reason. Yeah I was going to try to make the signpost taller, but that would make it's overall size equivalent to two blocks, and I'm trying to make these tiles "Insert-Friendly", but I will try to work something out. Oh okay, I thought about rounding the bottom of the teepee as well, I just thought I might be wrong in doing that.

Thank you very much, you don't know how much that means to me! Oh I will not let them get me down, I will learn from them. Again, thank you very much for critiquing my work, as you are one of my idols! Good luck with your work as well!

Well, guys I am going to get Spore today, so I will be busy for a while. I may be able to fire out a tile or two in the near future, but don't bet on it. Anyway guys, thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
    Years
    Lookin good! Since I know like nothing about spriting, I can't give you any help on them except for that I think the big tree isn't the right dimentions, but it still looks awesome!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Lookin good! Since I know like nothing about spriting, I can't give you any help on them except for that I think the big tree isn't the right dimentions, but it still looks awesome!

Yeah I know...

Update: Made a grass tile, and added a Trunk to the bush.
    [=][+]-TB's Tiles-[+][=]

Update 2: Made the big tree the right dimensions/made the top darker.
    [=][+]-TB's Tiles-[+][=]

Last edited:

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Nice tiles! I used to make tiles myself but then I got a tile block :/
    My only suggestion is that you add more of a 3d feel. Give the trees and the tepee a more cylindric appearance like curving the horizontal lines like how the shading is under that tree.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Hey guys, today I ripped/resized/edited the Pokemon Platinum tree so it fits both the color limit, and the size criteria(4 blocks of 16x16). The dimensions are correct too.

Tile:
    [=][+]-TB's Tiles-[+][=]

Useability Factor: No. As of now NOBODY is to use this tile with credit or not. Give feedback if you would like to use this tile.

Well, thankies I'm out!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Well, I was waiting for somebody to Post before I released this, but since nobody did, here it is.

Name: Platina Tileset

Consists of: Resized/edited Platinum Tree, Platinum Grass, Platinum Pokemon Grass, Platinum Bush, Platinum Snow Spots.

Tileset:
    Code:
    [IMG]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh290/Blazikendude/PlatinumTileset-1.png[/IMG]

Usability Factor: 2

Usabibity Factor Scale:
    1 = No Not at all, even with credit
    2 = Must ask, If I say Yes, give credit
    3 = Yes, with credit
    4 = Yes, with no credit

Last edited:

fudgy

so i herd you liek mudkipz?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2010
    good tiles rips/tiles :P
    all i have to say is fix the teepee cause of the look its just not right
    try to make it more 3d.

fudgy

so i herd you liek mudkipz?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2010
    Yeah, I'll work on that later. Thanks man :D

no problem :P
    if i can make a teepee (for campfires and stuff on the beach for my tiles) too
    ill let you use it if ya want. cause its basically your idea :P

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Update!

New Tile:
    [=][+]-TB's Tiles-[+][=]

Updated Tileset!

Name: Chryna Tileset

Consists of: New Big Tree, circular.

Updated Tileset:
    Code:
    [IMG]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh290/Blazikendude/ChrynaTileset-2.png[/IMG]

Usability Factor: 3

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
    >ahem< fudgy >ahem< tb, this is not a chat thread, that is what you have pm's and your member page messages for... there is a whole lot of nonsense talk that is not nessesary here...

now down to buisness! the trees and the tp are nicely done, but i have to disagree with the others and say that the trees seem to cylindrical... you need to make them a bit more tree like, and a bit less tomato soup can like... as for the rest of the stuff, they are nicely done.

Keep Spriting!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Okay guys, I've been busy lately, But I finally got on with my project. Guess what, I ripped/resized another Platinum tile. This time the forest tree.

New Tile:
    [=][+]-TB's Tiles-[+][=]

Updated Tileset!

Name: Platina Tileset

Consists of: Resized Platinum Forest Tree!

Updated Tileset:
    Code:
    [IMG]https://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh290/Blazikendude/PlatinumTileset-2.png[/IMG]

Usability Factor: 2

Back