• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team-Building Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2021
Hey Guys! I am in a draft league and was wondering if anybody could help me with team-building for this week. Thanks!
My Team
M-Metagross
Latios
Hoopa-U
Azumarill
Nidoking
Jolteon
Tangrowth
Staraptor
Espeon
Scrafty
Torkoal

Opponent's Team
Weavile
Keldeo
Gliscor
Vaporeon
Roserade
Azelf
Arcanine
Goodra
M-Pinsir
Cryogonal
Spiritomb

Years
Competitive battling xy

I want to start competitive battling on my pokemon x game. I have been doing a lot of research and was wanting your guy's input on this team and moveset idea.

Drapion with the ability Battle Armor
Toxic Spikes
Earthquake
Hyper Beam
Poison Jab.

Gardevoir with the ability Synchronize
Moonblast
Thunderbolt
Future Sight
Toxic.

Lucario with the ability Inner Focus
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Extreme Speed
Stone Edge.

Jolteon with the ability Volt Absorb
Thunder
Shadow Ball
Protect
Wild Charge

Noivern with the ability Infiltrator
Boomburst
Roost
Fly
Toxic

Gogoat with the ability Sapsipper
Earthquake
Protect
Solarbeam
Wildcharge

Let me know what you think please!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What rules are you going to play by? Smogon (a specific tier would be nice)? Battle Spot? VGC? Some of the Pokemon in your team are unsuited for some of these formats, Gogoat in particular. This is because while Gogoat has a good movepool, it suffers from massive 4-moveslot syndrome compared to its fellow Grass Pokemon.

Years
What rules are you going to play by? Smogon (a specific tier would be nice)? Battle Spot? VGC? Some of the Pokemon in your team are unsuited for some of these formats, Gogoat in particular. This is because while Gogoat has a good movepool, it suffers from massive 4-moveslot syndrome compared to its fellow Grass Pokemon.
Battle spot and maybe VGC. I am new to competitive battling, so still gotta lotta learning to do, lol

smocks

fiat lux
Years
What items are you planning to put on your Pokémon btw? My opinion can change completely depending what items you put on them :P

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 14, 2017
Hello everyone. I wanted to make a core with a three Pokemon core consisting of the following: Mega Charizard X, Azumarill, and Ferrothorn. As of right now, the movesets I currently have for those three are:

Charizard@ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze (Tough Claws)
Evs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Moveset:
-Roost
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Flare Blitz

Azumarill@ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Evs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD
Nature: Adamant
Moveset:
-Aqua Jet
-Knock Off
-Waterfall
-Play Rough

Ferrothorn@ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Nature: Relaxed
Moveset:
-Stealth Rocks
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball

My problem is I have been racking my brain attempting to figure out another three Pokemon in which further supports this core. However, anytime I have thought about adding the other three Pokemon in, it always seemed either the newly added Pokemon were either causing more problems for the team than helping, or just did not meld well with this core. I'm hoping for some advice and other perspectives as to what I maybe could add in order to have a full team of Pokemon that would function well. I don't mind some defensive options; although I would prefer to not have this team turn into a full-blown defensive team if that is possible?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Bryn9

Playin' Possum
Years
Help With Team-Building Anyone?

So I've been trying to make a new team, tiers don't really matter to me I just try to use pokemon that are fun and server their role well, so any suggestions are great bar legendaries.
I plan to base the team around a Garchomp and Reiniculus, so was just looking for ideas to fill the other roles in the team. Thanks in advance

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 8, 2016
Hey all, I'm working on a UU team. I need some help filling in a few slots.

I have a defensive core of:
Calm Umbreon @ Leftovers
Synchronize
-Foul Play
-Toxic
-Wish
-Heal Bell
I'm debating on a tradionitial 252HP 4Def 252SpD split or a varied
252HP 156Def 100SpD split. Any thoughts on this?

Bold Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Liquid Ooze
-Scald
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Hex
Traditional 240HP 244Def 24Spe

These are the Defensive Cores so far and the two I'd like to build around. The rest of the team I'm looking at is:

Timid Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Compound Eyes
-Sticky Web
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball/Volt Switch
252SpA 4SpD 252Spe
Standard Lead for Sticky Web and possible early damage with Thunder and Volt Switch

Offensive Cores:

Modest or Timid Nidoking @ Life Orb
Sheer Force
-Stealk Rock
-Earth Power
-Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam/Flamethrower
4Def 252SpA 252Spe

Adamant Swampert @ Swampertite
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Rain Dance/Stealth Rock if not on someone else
252Atk 4Def 252Spe

Jolly Crobat @ Choice Band/Black Sludge or Nothing
Infiltrator
-Brave Bird/Acrobatics depending on item
-U-Turn
-Super Fang
-Taunt/Cross Poison depending on item
Here I need some ideas on if Crobat should serve a more support roll with Black Sludge and a
248Hp 48Def 212Spe split or a full offensive attacker with 252Atk 2SpD 252Spe

Other options I've considered are
Jolly/Adamant Mamoswine @ Life Orb or Focus Sash
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake
-Icicle Crash
-Stealth Rock/Knock Off depending on role
252Atk 4Def 252Spe
This Mamoswine can replace wither Galvantula as a lead with Stealth Rocks and Focus Sash
or replace Nidoking and run Knock Off with Life Orb

Jolly Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Dry Skin
-Swords Dance
-Gunk Shot
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
252Atk 4Def 252Spe
Toxicroak would replace Nidoking putting Stealth Rocks on Swampert since
I'd want to keep Galvantula for Sticky Web

I've also looked briefly at Mega Aerodactyl over Crobat and Heliolisk to deal with Water Types should I not have Galvantula or Toxicroak

Ain

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Hiya! I'm working on making a team for wifi ladder, primarily for fun. I'm pretty sure it's going to fail spectacularly, as I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, but we all gotta start somewhere. I need 2 more to attempt to fill out my (probably) awful team. Help?

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword

For the 4th, I was planning on using either Mega Lopunny or Mega Mawile. For a 5th, I was thinking something like Chansey but I'm not sure about that. Klefki was another on my radar, for a suicidal lead, however that many steel types worries me.

Only thing is - I don't want to use anything that can't be bred. I don't want to deal with cheated or event Pokemon, as I plan to breed & train everything up myself. Thanks!

Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 23, 2016
Need some help/opinions on my team, they seem sound but battles usually don't end well seems like bad luck not getting any favorable match ups

I used to play a lot in the first few games but I guess I have lost track and maybe not familiar with new gimmicks or strats that I should be looking into ...... Throw me a Qbone ;)

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Need some help/opinions on my team, they seem sound but battles usually don't end well seems like bad luck not getting any favorable match ups

I used to play a lot in the first few games but I guess I have lost track and maybe not familiar with new gimmicks or strats that I should be looking into ...... Throw me a Qbone ;)

Spoiler:
What format are you using this team in (VGC, Battle Spot Singles, Smogon tiers, etc)? There's also vital information missing here like natures and EVs (and what Zapdos's Hidden Power type is).

Besides that there's a few issues that are problem no matter what, like using Hyper Beam, King's Rock, trying to use both Charizardite X and Y (the two forms work differently so one Zard can't have a set that works as both really), the multiple plates on Arceus, etc.

Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 23, 2016
What format are you using this team in (VGC, Battle Spot Singles, Smogon tiers, etc)? There's also vital information missing here like natures and EVs (and what Zapdos's Hidden Power type is).

Besides that there's a few issues that are problem no matter what, like using Hyper Beam, King's Rock, trying to use both Charizardite X and Y (the two forms work differently so one Zard can't have a set that works as both really), the multiple plates on Arceus, etc.

Single battle, I added more info to the mon's and I only listed multiple items because I have them available to use as options, I think I would like to use the Y stone for this Charazard, I have another I'm looking to raise for the X later

Spoiler:

Years
Hiya! I'm working on making a team for wifi ladder, primarily for fun. I'm pretty sure it's going to fail spectacularly, as I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, but we all gotta start somewhere. I need 2 more to attempt to fill out my (probably) awful team. Help?

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword

For the 4th, I was planning on using either Mega Lopunny or Mega Mawile. For a 5th, I was thinking something like Chansey but I'm not sure about that. Klefki was another on my radar, for a suicidal lead, however that many steel types worries me.

Only thing is - I don't want to use anything that can't be bred. I don't want to deal with cheated or event Pokemon, as I plan to breed & train everything up myself. Thanks!

I want to help you! here's my opinions! First lets start off with your Azumarill, Choice band? I could see that working out, but did you throw belly-drum in as a filler move? because that would lock you into that move! might i suggest Slapping a sitrus berry on it so you can heal back up as soon as you use it? oh, and if you really want to go choice band, then here's a pretty good filler move for it! "Knock off" Its a physical Attack so it gets boosted by Choice band, and it knocks off the opponent's regular held item! plus, it would give it decent coverage over Ghost, and psychic types!

Then, lets move on to weavile, first off, i see NO COVERAGE to fighting types! thats a huge No-no! try exchanging low kick for "Aerial ace" and then run the calculations. Weavile with 252 EVs on Attack, Boosted by Life orb onto a Hitmonchan does minimum 82%, then you throw in Fake out as your first move and that does 22% Minimum - A gaurenteed 2HKO so might i suggest a whole different moveset? Fake out / Ice Shard / Aerial ace / Swords dance @ Focus sash. This would mean you get to set up a Fake-out, Swords dance, Aerial Ace - Combo onto any fighting type and literally OHKO'ing them all!

Then Finally - Aegislash. Why quiet nature? It lowers your speed! unless you plan to run Gyro ball, I would go With maybe Modest or even Rash? If your going for a mixed attacker, then you need to mix the EVs too! Try this set. Aegislash @ Weakness policy, EVS 252 HP 128 ATK and 128 SP.ATK. then you could still outspeed several pokemon! You could also run a Rash or maybe even naughty nature!

Those are my Opinion's and i put a lot of time into them, so please don't take this as an insult! i'm actually trying to help you :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I want to help you! here's my opinions! First lets start off with your Azumarill, Choice band? I could see that working out, but did you throw belly-drum in as a filler move? because that would lock you into that move! might i suggest Slapping a sitrus berry on it so you can heal back up as soon as you use it? oh, and if you really want to go choice band, then here's a pretty good filler move for it! "Knock off" Its a physical Attack so it gets boosted by Choice band, and it knocks off the opponent's regular held item! plus, it would give it decent coverage over Ghost, and psychic types!

Then, lets move on to weavile, first off, i see NO COVERAGE to fighting types! thats a huge No-no! try exchanging low kick for "Aerial ace" and then run the calculations. Weavile with 252 EVs on Attack, Boosted by Life orb onto a Hitmonchan does minimum 82%, then you throw in Fake out as your first move and that does 22% Minimum - A gaurenteed 2HKO so might i suggest a whole different moveset? Fake out / Ice Shard / Aerial ace / Swords dance @ Focus sash. This would mean you get to set up a Fake-out, Swords dance, Aerial Ace - Combo onto any fighting type and literally OHKO'ing them all!

Then Finally - Aegislash. Why quiet nature? It lowers your speed! unless you plan to run Gyro ball, I would go With maybe Modest or even Rash? If your going for a mixed attacker, then you need to mix the EVs too! Try this set. Aegislash @ Weakness policy, EVS 252 HP 128 ATK and 128 SP.ATK. then you could still outspeed several pokemon! You could also run a Rash or maybe even naughty nature!

Those are my Opinion's and i put a lot of time into them, so please don't take this as an insult! i'm actually trying to help you :)

Aerial Ace isn't worth using on Weavile. A neutral STAB Ice Punch is nearly as strong as a 2x supereffective Aerial Ace. The Weavile set you posted is very inferior to the one that was posted already because of its severe lack of power. Ice Shard is a very weak attack and is only useful for picking off weakened targets. Weavile is also too frail to set up Swords Dance:
-Knock Off
-Icicle Crash
-Ice Shard
-Low Kick/Poison Jab/Pursuit
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

This set is superior because of its better coverage. Knock Off is a decently strong Dark STAB that gets rid of items, Icicle Crash is your decently strong Ice STAB, and as mentioned above, Ice Shard lets Weavile pick off weakened targets. The last slot is up for grabs. Low Kick and Poison Jab are coverage options for Steel and Fairy Pokemon respectively. Pursuit allows Weavile to hit the fleeing Ghost and Psychic Pokemon (which Weavile is very good against).

No good player would leave a Weavile in on a Fighting Pokemon. You're better off letting its teammates handle them. Starmie and Latios are good examples for handling them.

Quiet nature is a perfectly fine nature on Aegislash because of its Stance Change ability. If Aegislash goes first and attacks in Blade forme, its low defenses are wide open to an attack. Because of this, -Speed natures are preferred so Aegislash can tank a hit in Shield forme before switching to Blade forme to attack.

Edit: I agree on one thing and it's why are you using Choice Band and Belly Drum together? You'll be locked into one move while you're equipped with Choice Band. Knock Off or Superpower is better in the last slot.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Single battle, I added more info to the mon's and I only listed multiple items because I have them available to use as options, I think I would like to use the Y stone for this Charazard, I have another I'm looking to raise for the X later

Spoiler:
If you're doing 6v6 singles and not Battle Spot Singles you need hazard removal, since several of your Pokemon are Stealth Rock weak (Zard in particular requires hazard control). If Battle Spot Singles it's not really as necessary. Stealth Rock is also mandatory for 6v6, but not Battle Spot.

Y is definitely the better Zard mega for your current moveset, though replace Air Slash with Solar Beam. Air Slash doesn't hit anything harder than its other moves can, and the coverage vs Water types and others is hella nice.

I would use Aura Sphere over Focus Blast on Mewtwo, it hits hard enough in most cases and Focus Miss misses more than you'll care for.

As for Arceus, a Timid nature makes a special set your best bet, and you want to narrow down on the number of forms you use. Electric, Grass, and Flying are quite frankly all not good Arceus forms. Dragon is pointless since there's a zillion other good Dragon types to use. Ghost and Fairy are good though, but idr if special Ghost Arceus is a thing or not. Regardless, you still don't wanna use Hyper Beam since the cool-down turn is extremely dangerous for you; that one turn could be all the opponent needs to beat you.

While Hidden Power appears as Normal type on the battle screen, it can actually be a different type depending on your Pokemon's IVs. You can check the type in-game by talking to a specific NPC. In X/Y he's in Anistar City, in ORAS I can't remember.

Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 23, 2016
If you're doing 6v6 singles and not Battle Spot Singles you need hazard removal, since several of your Pokemon are Stealth Rock weak (Zard in particular requires hazard control). If Battle Spot Singles it's not really as necessary. Stealth Rock is also mandatory for 6v6, but not Battle Spot.

Y is definitely the better Zard mega for your current moveset, though replace Air Slash with Solar Beam. Air Slash doesn't hit anything harder than its other moves can, and the coverage vs Water types and others is hella nice.

I would use Aura Sphere over Focus Blast on Mewtwo, it hits hard enough in most cases and Focus Miss misses more than you'll care for.

As for Arceus, a Timid nature makes a special set your best bet, and you want to narrow down on the number of forms you use. Electric, Grass, and Flying are quite frankly all not good Arceus forms. Dragon is pointless since there's a zillion other good Dragon types to use. Ghost and Fairy are good though, but idr if special Ghost Arceus is a thing or not. Regardless, you still don't wanna use Hyper Beam since the cool-down turn is extremely dangerous for you; that one turn could be all the opponent needs to beat you.

While Hidden Power appears as Normal type on the battle screen, it can actually be a different type depending on your Pokemon's IVs. You can check the type in-game by talking to a specific NPC. In X/Y he's in Anistar City, in ORAS I can't remember.

Thanks for the tips sofar, I will talk to the guy next time I play
Ghost Arceus worked well against other ghost types so I guess it's viable, the main thing I wanted Arceus to be was just to fill in any type coverage my team may lack or use the Song to 3 turn KO anything I couldn't handle

What about the Delphox? I may sub it out since I have fire and psychic type already but how is the move set and do you have a recommended item for it?

Lastly Yevetel .... I don't know where to start with it it's the most unfamiliar to me :/

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 6, 2016
I'm currently working on a Mega Pidgeot team for OU and am currently stuck. So far I have:

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Pretty much the standard set

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stone Edge
- Reversal

Trap and kill things Pidgeot can't get past such as Heatran or Tyranitar; can also revenge kill, ofc. Earthquake for STAB, Sucker Punch for priority/coverage, Stone Edge for coverage, Reversal is strong after using the Focus Sash

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Spins away hazards along with setting my own rocks, EQ for STAB when I can't get Dugtrio in safely, and Iron Head takes care of Fairies

I honestly have no clue where to go from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back