• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Technology: Good or Bad?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Anything has the potential to be misused, and we should of course always be vigilant that we don't blind ourselves to the potential misuse of our inventions. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't make them. Technological advancement is inherently a source of good because its core purpose is to improve the quality of our lives. There are always those who would abuse this process (or any process) to their own ends, but the core idea behind creating new technology is certainly one of good.
    You can also argue what "quality of life" entails. Are we happier now, with our facebook and video games and cars and medical instruments and movie theatres, than people were hundreds (or thousands) of years ago when there existed little to be labeled technology? If happiness is humanity's ultimate goal, I say leaving technology behind or not even knowing about it in the first place can even help.

However, it's obvious that technology has improved our health and length of life, and at least the former is rather crucial for staying happy. Long time ago, people could die from simple diseases or wounds that we can treat easily today.

If we instead say that our ultimate goal is not necessarily happiness though, but exploration and understanding of the world around us, then the need for technology (and scientific thinking) becomes central. Technology has helped us so much in these matters, and even though ancient philosophers had grand theories with nothing more than their brains and creativity, we have been able to research these theories and prove or disprove them with the help of technology throughout history.

I'm personally a bit torn between the "happiness" goal and "exploration" goal. I don't think I could live calmly in a hut somewhere with the bare necessities of life but a wonderful family, loads of friends and tasks to do or amuse myself with all day - I think I achieve happiness from learning more about the world.

Technology is not inherently good or bad, I guess I'll conclude with. It's what we do with it that decides that. And I'd rather we keep developing it than tossing it away now :)

Years
  • Technology is not inherently good or bad, I guess I'll conclude with.

Off topic: woah is that a Swedish construction?

With respect to online communication, I think it is detrimental because real world communication is not obsolete and we still have to depend on it. I don't think real world communication will ever be made obsolete, because there are aspects of communication that I think would be highly difficult to emulate electronically. Sex appeal, for one, is much better communicated in person.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Off topic: woah is that a Swedish construction?
    My bad, yes, haha. It's perfectly fine in Swedish and sometimes I derp out when my brain translates, sorry ;)

Carry on, soldiers!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • You can also argue what "quality of life" entails. Are we happier now, with our facebook and video games and cars and medical instruments and movie theatres, than people were hundreds (or thousands) of years ago when there existed little to be labeled technology?
    I am. I can't speak for others.

Technology has allowed us to put shape to our dreams. It has allowed brilliant artists and genius thinkers to change the world in ways unimaginable. I've been moved to tears countless times by stories and people I never would have found without modern technology. It has allowed me to pursue my interests in unbelievable depth and has allowed me to understand myself and the world I live in to a degree I never would have been able to before. It has let me meet wonderful people who have taught me things I never would have known and with whom I can discuss things that touch my very soul. I can explore the dreams of others or exist among the stars, question the nature of all things and discuss it with friends from all around the world, all because of the dedication of hard-working people with the same passion for technology as myself.

We see it most in our culture. A hundred years ago, the rate of cultural change was a snail's pace. It took decades for even minor cultural changes to happen. Now, every year brings with it a new generation of people with dreams and insights and inspirations of their very own and the ability to make these into reality. And this trend is only accelerating.

There is not a doubt in my mind that technology has enriched my life. My love and passion for technology is rivaled only by my love and passion for those who create it and find new ways to move the world with it. These people have my eternal gratitude for the work they do and I wait excitedly to see what new ground we will break in the future.

Years
  • As I think I mentioned, technology most matters to people that don't really have as much of a chance to be active in the outside world. When people get older, they end up getting fascination out of the capability to use technology, moreso than what they'd likely feel at younger ages, thanks to things like Facebook and Twitter. It doesn't help that lots of college-related activity is usually done on sites that the colleges provide, and places like libraries are pretty reliant on them.

As a bonus, online shopping sees a spike in traffic upon holidays, and even outside of then.

Years
  • The most concerning problems imo are destruction of some culture (ie: with writing we lost a lot of oral communication because writing was an easier way to communicate them, more recently eReaders are possibly going to put bookstores out of business) and the decline of human labor for automation. These aren't good things, but the advancements in technology will eventually solve the problems previous advancements bring- hopefully soon enough that they don't cause any real problems.

And technology has lead to industrialization which brings pollution, city crowding, loss of the ability to hunt/farm, etc. tons of problems. I read the unabomber's manifesto last week so it's fresh in my mind. :p

Back