• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Teenage Love

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I'd think it would be good to mingle/date at an age when you think you were ready. Sure it might not be as serious at an earlier age, but that's okay, it's not the end all.

What I dislike though is how now that more and more kids are coming out (as being gay) at an earlier age, parents are questioning their kids. Like "Are you sure?" etc. While I can see why this would occur, if the same parent would see their child at the same age with a person of the opposite sex, the parent wouldn't question it at all...

Parents just need to learn to be happy for their kid...

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    In my opinion, love and the swell of feelings that are produced towards another person depends on the individual. You can't put yourself in the mind, heart and soul of another person and know for sure how they feel. And that feeling, I think, changes along with change in maturity of a person. Even 10 year olds feel love. Everybody does. You're a living being. But, I think it's because of the indecisiveness that we believe teenage love to be false.

Myself, I don't know. I really don't know if I can term my profound feelings towards another person as "love" or not. Or is it just a moment of bliss that I want? You can't misjudge a person's ability to think deeply. You can't question a person's feelings towards another person. The only person who can question you, is yourself. You have the ability to make the correct decision, so why not?

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
    I do believe they ended up dead :L But would anyone do a Hamlet and end up killing half their family because a "ghost" told them to? [I know its much more complex than that, but in simple terms.]
    Anyway their love wasn't based on knowing the other person, trusting the other person, caring about the other person and so on. they met at a party and believe they loved each other, which is more of an example of lust than love. Bear in mind that the timespace in which they meet, marry, sleep together and die is in a few days :3

You misunderstood-- I brought up Romeo and Juliet not because I think they're a good example of young love... If anything, I think they're the opposite.

I brought them up due to some other posters saying "what is wrong with the world now?!" when it has always been like this, and was at one point accepted. (See how Juliet's mother tries to get her to warm up to the idea of marriage, and how Juliet's father reacts when she tells him she doesn't want to marry Paris.)

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    You misunderstood-- I brought up Romeo and Juliet not because I think they're a good example of young love... If anything, I think they're the opposite.

I brought them up due to some other posters saying "what is wrong with the world now?!" when it has always been like this, and was at one point accepted. (See how Juliet's mother tries to get her to warm up to the idea of marriage, and how Juliet's father reacts when she tells him she doesn't want to marry Paris.)

Yes "at one point" when women really had no choice other than get married because that was all their fathers and society deemed them worthy for. But now, we can have jobs, be single swingers if we want, go to university, have a career be a freakin' astronaut if we want. So where's the rush in falling in love or getting married? I'm not saying I don't believe in teen love, I just feel that younger teenagers are growing up too quickly to have relationships and false portrayl of "true love" is only worsened by the media. ><

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
    Yes "at one point" when women really had no choice other than get married because that was all their fathers and society deemed them worthy for. But now, we can have jobs, be single swingers if we want, go to university, have a career be a freakin' astronaut if we want. So where's the rush in falling in love or getting married? I'm not saying I don't believe in teen love, I just feel that younger teenagers are growing up too quickly to have relationships and false portrayl of "true love" is only worsened by the media. ><

Quite true-- most of what the younger generation knows of love comes from movies and books... And of course, their parents.

So, why don't you define "true love" then? If it isn't what you believe the media shows... Then what is it?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    One thing's for sure, the "love" in Twilight is not true love at all... More like abusive love... (speaking in terms of fictional love).

Well I can't say much on the matter, I would say that at least one part pf true love comes from a very open and trustworthy relationship. Like you're unafraid of telling your partner what is on your mind, and in turn he/she will not judge you on it.

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
    Years
    I believe in teenage love and i know it is real. Some couples might just want to show of with there boyfriend/ girlfriend however not all couples are like that. I was with my last boyfriend not long ago, we were really in love but we got forced apart (long story) anyway, i dont believe that age matter with love.

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
    One thing's for sure, the "love" in Twilight is not true love at all... More like abusive love... (speaking in terms of fictional love).
    Ugh, Twilight. I seriously wonder how Meyer thinks what she wrote can be passed off as a good love story.

A good example of teenage love in fiction is quite hard to find. I can't think of a single example in recent literature that portrays true love in teenagers. ):

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Ugh, Twilight. I seriously wonder how Meyer thinks what she wrote can be passed off as a good love story.

A good example of teenage love in fiction is quite hard to find. I can't think of a single example in recent literature that portrays true love in teenagers. ):

It's rare in and of itself for true love to happen at such a young age, especially because it might be done for the wrong reasons. Like as if a girl has dad issues and wants to find a man to essentially fill the spot.

Basically, both parties would have to want each other for innocent purposes.

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2024
    It depends on what of person the teenager is. Ultimately, I don't believe in 'true love' at 13/14 but I think that they can experience some form of love. Most of the time they're not mature enough to take love seriously, so they see a hot chick/guy and think that they love them because they're gorgeous. And when anyone tells them otherwise, they say "No!! Me and Jessica fell in love and we made out and we made a sandcastle in the shape of a heart and we kissed and we watched a movie together and we made out etc". Those sorts of teenagers do not comprehend love in the slightest and just have kiddy love.
    So no, I don't believe teenagers overall can experience true love, but some can experience something like it.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Woahhhh, all these views on teenage love are making me feel dizzy. Theres so much I could write about this but i'll try make it brief, this is an opinion of 'love' from a boy whos just turned 15, I have a girlfriend, shes one of those girls who thinks that I'm the boy she plans on been with forever blah blah blah. And at this moment you all probably think I'm a heartless b**** haha, but truth be told I honestly believe I love this girl :/ People say that you cant experience love until your older or whatever, but you cant experience love until you allow yourself to love somebody? And why cant that be at any age? But basically I believe teenage love is the same as anyone else's type of 'love', I just think that teenagers tend to flaunt it too much which usually ends with them falling flat on their faces...

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2011
    i think you can deff be in love at that age im 16 and have been dating my gf for a year and a half ill admit when we first said i love you it wasnt realy true at least for me i think it was more just lust but now i feel like ill do anything for her and we connect on so many levels so i can say that were in love

i also belive that in order to love someone else truely you have to love yourself and know who you are as an individual you cant go around saying you love someone and not even love yourself imo

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Seems to be practice for the real thing, like play-fighting.
    Courtship is as sure a skill as driving nails into wood without bending them; one must learn it, and there's no better way than to experience it. One can't forever live off of the preconceptions provided by their elders.

I like how all of you are commenting on how "WHEN DID THE WORLD CHANGE SO THAT SUCH YOUNG PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE IN LOVE!?" when back in the old days you were expected to be a mother before you were 15 years old.
    Apparently 'back in the old days' girls didn't experience their menarche until the late teens, at least fifteen. Seems that while younger girls may have be taken as wives and whatnot, they wouldn't bear children until later.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
    I believe in Teenager love, because, concidentally, i am a teenager. I am in a relationship, and it goes well. I find teenage love is only crazy and impossible if you think it is.
    imo, I find it isn't. It is only impossible if you think that way.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    Teenage love was something that everybody underwent and it breaks the relationship between the teens and their parent/guardians, if they are not well controlled they destroy their lives. It is stressing but normal.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    You know what, I don't like people's general attitude in this thread. :/

Sure it's true that at that age, you oftentimes don't know what love implies.

But to all of you naysayers, I say it is foolish to say that teenagers are incapable of true love. Love is love, and we are born with the ability to love, as young children, to love our parents and family.

Love is not something that I believe is defined by what society thinks of it. True love will make you do anything for a person...but sometimes fate gets in the way of true love.
    You can have a true love and lose it by sheer circumstance, even if you take no risks whatsoever in regards to your partner's feelings, very easily.

As a society, we have this silly idea that love cannot be broken, when in fact, it's the most brittle and fragile of emotions when compared to others. You don't even have to hurt your partner's feelings to lose them, anyone could say anything and they'd begin to doubt something, even if you've been the perfect partner.

It's even possible for someone to mature out of a relationship at that age, and it's even quite common!

But even with all those odds against you...I say it's never a waste. You cannot rebrand it or call it something else, because both sides are novices, IT IS LOVE!

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hm, judging from my own experiences... When I was in love as a teenager, it was always stormy and passionately. And when I really got to know the person and got to the stage where the feelings should evolve into something deeper, unselfish and good, they didn't. So I ended relationships after a few months into each and every one of them, and I got over random infatuations after a few months as well.

And this last person I allowed myself to fall in love with... it was more than a year ago, and we're still together. It's the first time I really past that stage where the feelings turned into something else instead of giving up. And, the part I was coming to here, this happened just before I turned 20 xD So, in my case, teenage love wasn't working out, but as soon as I "grew up", it worked XD

Infatuation = a feelgood curse. I love someone now, that's more than being in love (if that's how you interpret it, it's all about words, I think xD). When I was in the middle teen years, I didn't know the difference.

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
    You know what, I don't like people's general attitude in this thread. :/

Sure it's true that at that age, you oftentimes don't know what love implies.

But to all of you naysayers, I say it is foolish to say that teenagers are incapable of true love. Love is love, and we are born with the ability to love, as young children, to love our parents and family.

Love is not something that I believe is defined by what society thinks of it. True love will make you do anything for a person...but sometimes fate gets in the way of true love.
    You can have a true love and lose it by sheer circumstance, even if you take no risks whatsoever in regards to your partner's feelings, very easily.

As a society, we have this silly idea that love cannot be broken, when in fact, it's the most brittle and fragile of emotions when compared to others. You don't even have to hurt your partner's feelings to lose them, anyone could say anything and they'd begin to doubt something, even if you've been the perfect partner.

It's even possible for someone to mature out of a relationship at that age, and it's even quite common!

But even with all those odds against you...I say it's never a waste. You cannot rebrand it or call it something else, because both sides are novices, IT IS LOVE!

I must say, this post is excellent. I think you're 100% right, especially in your 5th paragraph.

I believe anyone can fall in love, although what they feel may not be society's exact definition of "love"... That's what it is. Love cannot be defined by anything, nor can any emotion really.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    I think while teens can fall in love--anyone over a certain age can fall in "true love"--they probably shouldn't act on those impulses (you can tell I'm single, right? :o). Some girls/boys at my school partner up just because, as apparently it's a status symbol of a sort to have a beau/gal/both.

Also, about children loving their parents, it's different. The love you experience for your parents and siblings (or not) is different than the love you experience towards your wife/husband.

Wait, what was I talking about? :o

Back