• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen That really grinds my gears!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • Anyone have any thoughts on the multi-purpose bike use in DPPt? With the ability to change gears came the opportunity for bike-only areas... or was this just a pale imitation of the Mach/Acro bikes from Gen III. Discuss, and such! :D

DarkAbsolX

Pokemon World Champion 50Times
    Years
  • Does anyone notice those hills of sand that can only be passed by bike if you are in the last gear?

Total imitation of GenIII when you needed mach bike to pass trough that xD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It seemed a bit of an unnecessary addition as it didn't really add that much to exploring the overworld imo, and beyond that there was rarely any reason to not use the faster speed. It was kinda fun with the bicycle-hopping puzzles though, I'll admit, but still not as fun as the Acro bike was. Bouncebouncebounce...

Vasquez

Hacker and LPer
    Years
  • Well... although not all that useful, it's certainly better than in Gen III when you had to go ALL THE WAY BACK to Mauville City to get the other bike if you wanted to get something. I personally only use the faster option, but just think it's more convenient to be able to change on the fly than to have to get a separate item to change speeds.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    Am I the only one here that uses the slower gear more often, just because of the controls?

Well, IMO I guess it's nice to have two different speeds available in one bike; at least better than gen 3, when you had to use fly, get the other bike, then use fly to get back to the city you were before.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I liked the gear-changing bike in D/P/Pt because it was annoying having to go back to Mauville's bike shop in Gen III just to switch bikes.

Years
  • I liked the gear-changing feature of the bike in D/P/Pt.

It was annoying having to go to Mauville City to switch between the Mach and Acro Bikes back in R/S/E.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    I thought it was both cool, but pointless. But I did think it was great that I didn't have to go all the way back to Eterna city to get another mode. I'm glad they just changed it to a simple, straightforward, 1 gear bike in Gen V.

Years
  • I would have liked it if they were able to combine the Mach/Acro Bike in D/P/Pt, so when you change gears, you would either be able to go fast, or go slower but be able to do bunny hops and wheelies like the Acro Bike (maybe by pressing L or R).

Years
  • I like it - only ever use the faster gear though :)

Sometimes, I hold down the B button when I'm riding (out of habit from the running shoes) and change gears without meaning to xD

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    I actually preferred the Mach and Acro bikes. Even though it was frustrating, you had to go all the way back to Mauville just to get the right bike for each area and it made the game a little more fun, in my opinion.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I, for one, have mixed feelings on the multi-purpose bike. Having recently started playing Platinum, I really liked the occasional puzzles that the game would throw at me (e.g. the hidden Wayward Cave entrance) but, apart from that, don't really care that much about the bike. At least this one has the advantage of being multi-purpose; before getting Fly, it must have been ridiculously frustrating to keep changing between them to solve puzzles in RSE. This is an improvement, at the very least.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • I love the fact that i don't have to fly over to change bike speed, but the thing is, the slower gear has no use anymore :( ever since this, there are no major puzzles concerning both gears; only ledges and sand slopes. so mixed feelings :) It was VERY annoying after all to change bikes in sapphire...

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I thought gear changing was all pretty pointless as the only reason I could see to not going at the faster speed was to clear the puzzles that required it. It also was all just a clone of the Mach Bike in my eyes, but without the cool name.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Since you couldn't perform tricks in slow gear with like with the Acro Bike, it kinda lost its importance outside of the "launch ramp" puzzles that required you to use the two different speeds.

Still, I ultimately preferred that setup rather than the separate bikes because at least you didn't have to return to the Bike Shop every time you were presented with a new bike-related puzzle.

Naturally, though, I would prefer having a Buick station wagon to any type of bike, but...

Years
  • I hate the changing of gears, I wish the bike would just serve as a normal bike in the games. I never even change gears, as long as I can move somewhat faster by using the bike, ill use whatever gear its on.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I'm indifferent. If I'm not running, them I'm always riding in last gear of the bike. The option to change gears doesn't bother me other than the first gear becoming almost pointless and not having the cool trick features as the Acro bike in RSE.

It's a lot less of a hassle though than having to go back to Mauville just to switch between bikes, but it would have been a lot more worthwhile if the first gear could have had the features of the old Acro bike.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I didn't and don't really care much for the different gears of bikes in DPPt tbh. I usually would either run or walk everwhere and if not, I'd use my bike and keep it on the same gear. It was much more convenient than in RSE but personally, I didn't find much use in it. Except for when I was bored and I'd just continually switch between the two, to waste time. xD

Back