• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's not fair!

Years
  • How do you feel about unfair things?

Do you think everything should be fair?

A little bonus: If you are/were a parent, how would you respond to your child saying "That's not fair!"?

Years
  • I like life to be as fair as possible.
    I'm not stupid, I realise that a truly fair world is impossible but I'd like to think we can achieve a world free of discrimination and inequality and I like to think people who do the wrong thing get what they deserve.

I sometimes find this view problematic though... a lot of it sometimes feels contradictory... for example I like to see people get what they deserve but I'm against the death penalty even if the person was a mass murderer.

As for parenting? I'd probably be that cliche guy who takes the "life isn't fair approach" although I'd like to think I could word it better. That or I'd point out that the position is perfectly fair using a combination of logic, mad-skillz and long words (well depending on the age).

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I learned very early on in my life that life isn't fair. Bad things happen to good people, **** happens. In an ideal world, I think everything should be fair for everyone, but that's not the way the world works and trying to change it so that it does seems like a huge waste of time, especially since I think there are very valuable lessons that people learn from **** that happens that makes people say "That isn't fair!"

I don't know how I'd react if I had a child who said that. Maybe mock them or tease them? Dunno. I don't fare well with children.

Sirfetch’d

I know that life isn't fair and we just have to deal with that. I always grew up wanting everything to be fair and have everyone happy, but life just isn't that way.

I will teach my kids that life isn't fair so hopefully I wont get asked that question. However I shall do my best to make everything as fair as possible for them!

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I will go with the cliche saying.. "Life's not fair."

And honestly... If you don't have the willpower to succeed in a world like this with so much competition you got what was coming to you.

I mean if we're talking about poverty and theft no one should have to experience it.

Wow! That's so...REAL. I see a lot of people killing themselves because they failed to adapt to this "unfair" world, but that's the way it goes. It seems so commonplace for people to see and experience heinous things in their lives these days, and they either move on or let it destroy them.

What do I feel about unfair things? I feel that they are just a standard part of our world. As long as humans are selfish, irrational, and governed by emotions, then we will never see any true modicum of fairness on this Earth. Things like justice and equality only exist on paper these days, bub. Do I think that should change? Well, I was never an idealist...so not really. If the world was fair, then all of the unfavorables, like child molesters, rapists, hate-spewers and zealots would be given the same representation as everyone else....but I suppose that view is a bit extreme.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
  • unfair to me will be fair someday

No..it's like day and night once not fair so the fair comes to wash the unfair

i would say "sweetie,good and bad things happen to teach us something new about life..in the end bad things happens for a good reason even if you don't see it now you will realize it someday..good things later comes to make you happy though!!smile and don't be sad for mommy!! * kisses forehead and hugs tightly*

also melo melo

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Life is unfair. Stop whining and do something about it.

When my son tells me life is not fair, that's what I'll say to him more or less. And if it's about my rules, it'll be as long as I pay for the roof over your head, the food you eat, etc, the rules are my rules, not yours!

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • Life can't be fair. Someone will always have the upperhand, no matter where you go or what you do. It's like the reality check an arrogant Grade 12 student gets when he or she goes off to university and realizes that he or she is actually third tier and that there are way smarter or more talented kids than him / her.

We explored it in Philosophy 12U. Society is built unfair, but there's always potential (at least, in Canada) to improve on oneself... Just that there are people who might have to work less or not at all to achieve the same thing or position that someone else has to work their bum off for.

In fact, a good example is how without effort, I'd get 85-90% in school, sometimes higher. Other people struggle just to get 70-75%. If I put in the same effort they do [struggling]? 95%+ and some people think that that's unfair because I'm better in school (and school is such a big part of society and achieving a decent future career), but then I might think that the people born smart and rich have it good and that that's unfair.

Everyone's going to bish and cry about something lol The fairest of fair society will have whiny people. No one ever contents themself enough with what their given :(

So yeah, life is unfair, but use what you got to the best of your ability to turn the tables.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • I've come to terms with the fact that life is not fair in its dealings. Sometimes it's unfair towards me and sometimes it's unfair against me, but that's just how society is. Fairly recently myself and all of my co-workers had to re-apply for our jobs since the agency we work for changed hands and I was accepted right away with no interview or drug test or anything, but one of them was strung along for three weeks and was ultimately passed up in favor of our new boss's daughter's friend. That's horribly unfair (and rather stupid; Why let go of someone with 5 years experience for a humanoid armpit stain whose only previous job was as a part-time cashier?), but sometimes life is like that and it's unproductive to do anything except move on.

Luckily my daughter has a very, very loose concept of the idea of "fair" so far since she's still young and she's an only child, but when she gets a bit older I'll explain to her that life is crap and she should set her standards low enough to make herself happy if she gets anything at all. I have a while to figure out how to word that nicely.

Back