• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The 8000 legendries of Gen IV.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I completely agree with this thread. :P

To this very day, I have no idea how to tell the lake trio apart. They all have the same typing, they look alike except with different colors, and their names are in no way helpful to identifying them. >_>

GenIII was just as guilty of this as GenIV...what's wrong with keeping it simple? (Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza in Hoenn and Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus in Sinnoh) What's the point of legendaries like Latios/Latias, Heatran, Manaphy, Cresselia, and Darkrai with no representation in the story to actually make it interesting?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I don't see the big deal about people complaining about too many legendary Pokemon. No one complained about the number of Greek or Roman gods and they were all over the place.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Dialga
    Okay, we'll start on a good note, Dialga is one of the few ones I actually like. Looks cool, and generally is cool. I actually found it quite a challenge to catch. Not much else to say here. But why a Dragon type? It looks nothing like a Dragon.

Dialga was hard to catch? LOL.
    As for Dragon types; Dragons are supposedly LEGENDARY typed pokemon. You hear legendary with dragon much more than with grass or ground.
    Palkia
    Again, did this Pokemon really have to be a Dragon type? Infact, what's the sudden increase in Legendry Dragon type Pokemon all about? And Palkia has an unbelievable disadvantage to Dialga, similar to Kyogre/Groudon. I seriously dislike this aspect.
    An unbelievable disadvantage? Please explain this, since you are obviously spouting crap without giving evidence. And unlike Groudon, Palkia can actually keep up with Dialga.
    Mirage Pokemon
    I'll sum these guys up in one. Legendry trio that are all Psychic types = EPIC FAIL.
    Azelf is absolutely awesome. The other ones are fail though. But you know what else is fail? KANTO.
    Giratina
    Do we really need two different formes? Just makes the whole concept that much more complicated. Before I got Platinum I was extremely confused as to what forme I'm getting, what difference it makes, whether or not I can get both etc etc. It's too much.

Wow, you get a choice between a more defensively orientated Giratina and a more offensively orientated one. It isn't that hard choosing between 2 formes.
    Cresselia
    Pointless, not to mention how many pure Psychic Pokemon there are that aren't Legendary.
    Pointless indeed, but there are also many psychic type legendary pokemon as well.

Darkrai
    Again, pointless. Want a good dark type? Run Tyranitar.

Pointless isn't always bad. Tyranitar doesn't have a sleeping set, nor is Uber. DUH.
    Manaphy and Phione
    Is there actually a difference? And legendary Pokemon can breed now? Fail.
    They are indeed fail. But they are just another side quest to make people buy Ranger and play the games longer. DUH.
    Regigigas
    Relevant, I'll give it that. Stupid requirment to gain access to it though. What if you don't have Ruby/Sapphire?
    Again, they did it so you can buy their games.
    Shaymin
    What's so legendary about this? It looks as normal as any other Non-Legendary. It just doesn't look like one at all
    Sadly, this sad thing is legendary. However, they felt pity for it and gave it a forme that could actually be useful in battle.
    Arceus
    Completely ruins the sense in Legendary Pokemon. This Pokemon is a so called "God" yet you can catch it in a plastic ball? Just no...
    What crap are you spouting? You missed the obvious word called "mythology", then even if you didn't, no one is claiming it to be a god.
    Heatran
    Pathetic excuse for a Pokemon. Probably my most hated of all Pokemon. Fire/Steel?? Seriously? It looks like a deformed evolution of Marowak, for christs sake! And it can be Male/Female? Yet, again, ruining the concept of Legendaries.
    Wow, a pokemon with a gender, that automatically makes it stupid and should automatically be counted as non legendary. Does latios and latias count, since they have a gender as well? By the way, it is 14 legendaries in Sinnoh, if you can count to 14, then you shouldn't have any problems.
    And like before, do you know what is deformed? Kanto and Johto.

Here is a simple solution to all of your mindless rambling. DON'T GET THEM.

Last edited:

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
    Years
    It seems that some people forgot about spin-off games. Tell me that in spin-offs Manaphy, Darkrai, Cresselia, Regigigas, blah blah blah, didn't play a special role??? With the introduction of so many legendaries came P. Ranger, PMD...they're not 'ruining' anything according to you. And they're not necessarily a bad thing. Even Heatran had a story in DP...so he's not 'pointless'. When did 'the more, the merrier' become a lie?

Just puttin' in my two cents!

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Dialga was hard to catch? LOL.
    As for Dragon types; Dragons are supposedly LEGENDARY typed pokemon. You hear legendary with dragon much more than with grass or ground.

Legendary typed?

An unbelievable disadvantage? Please explain this, since you are obviously spouting crap without giving evidence. And unlike Groudon, Palkia can actually keep up with Dialga.

Palkia uses (insert dragon type move here), it's nomal effective. Dialga uses (insert dragon type move here), it's super effective.

Azelf is absolutely awesome. The other ones are fail though. But you know what else is fail? KANTO.

Please, please tell me how Azelf is different from the others.

Wow, you get a choice between a more defensively orientated Giratina and a more offensively orientated one. It isn't that hard choosing between 2 formes.

Nah, just annoying.

Pointless indeed, but there are also many psychic type legendary pokemon as well.

Yeah, making Cresselia pointless.

Pointless isn't always bad. Tyranitar doesn't have a sleeping set, nor is Uber. DUH.

Yes it is.

They are indeed fail. But they are just another side quest to make people buy Ranger and play the games longer. DUH.

You say "Duh" like I should know that. Believe it or not, I have a life outside of Pokemon games.

Again, they did it so you can buy their games.

Fair enough.

Sadly, this sad thing is legendary. However, they felt pity for it and gave it a forme that could actually be useful in battle.

It still doesn't look anything like a legendary.

What crap are you spouting? You missed the obvious word called "mythology", then even if you didn't, no one is claiming it to be a god.

It's thrown around a lot on these boards. So yes, people are claiming it to be a Pokemon God.

Wow, a pokemon with a gender, that automatically makes it stupid and should automatically be counted as non legendary. Does latios and latias count, since they have a gender as well?
    And like before, do you know what is deformed? Kanto and Johto.

You fail. Everyone knows they Pwn Hoenn/Sinnoh. No, I don't approve of Latias/Latios either.

Here is a simple solution to all of your mindless rambling. DON'T GET THEM.

A lot of what you said is reasonable, until you said that Kanto and Johto fail. You've said that to purposely spite me, having glanced at my username. Here's a flameshield my good man, you're going to need it *Hands Flameshield*.

You obviously haven't read the thread, so I'm going to say this once more. Just because I don't lik ONE THING about a game, doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.

I honestly don't know why I bother trying to make discussion here.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    It also seems that some of the people who are also saying there are too many legendaries are clinging on to the originals too much. The series has evolved and moved on now.
    Again, not the point. Game Freak could make the series as great as it was in Gen I/II if they wanted to. The point is that there are too many legendaries that don't even need to be legendaries.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    A lot of what you said is reasonable, until you said that Kanto and Johto fail. You've said that to purposely spite me, having glanced at my username.

Of course I did, but it is only because I really do despise Johto and Kanto. Kanto isn't creative in any way, and Johto has that terrible level curve. Pryce is a lower level than Jasmine, and you fight level 20 pokemon when you are level 40.

You know very well what I mean by legendary "typed."

Palkia doesn't have to use a dragon type move. He has a great special fighting move called Aura sphere, and he also has Earth power.

Azelf is different from the others because it can actually fight.

Pointless is not always bad. The shining leaves in HG/SS are pointless, but some people actually like that for the side quest. The pokedar is pointless(to the plot and many other things), but it is used for finding foreign pokemon. Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos are all pointless, but they are still used, as well as mewtwo.

Whether Shaymin looks legendary or not is really up to you. Mew doesn't look legendary either, since most legendaries are supposed to be fierce creatures of battle, not adorable house pets.

Just because people claim it to be a god pokemon, and treat it as one, doesn't mean that it is a god pokemon. This sounds like Ad populous, where just because a lot of people believe in it, it must be true. Those people are clearly idiots (or just didn't read the fine print), but then again, whenever there is a myth in a game, it absolutely MUST be true.

No, the dull Johto and Kanto fail. Please tell me when either of them get a desert, underwater areas, a snowy place, or even a volcano.
    It is either water, grass, or mountain in the whole region, excluding the pointless cycling road.
    Hopefully that should end my wall of text.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Considering that Kanto and Johto were stuck on the GameBoy Original and/or Color, a lot of what you says makes no sense. They simply didn't have the tech specs to work with. And when Kanto was remade with LeafGreen/FireRed (can't comment on HG/SS as I'm waiting to play them properly when they come out in Spring), they did a good job of sticking to the original, which was the point. Neither Kanto or Johto are "dull" - they were simply the template for later games, which had far better systems to work with. :|

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Of course I did, but it is only because I really do despise Johto and Kanto. Kanto isn't creative in any way, and Johto has that terrible level curve. Pryce is a lower level than Jasmine, and you fight level 20 pokemon when you are level 40.

You know very well what I mean by legendary "typed."

Palkia doesn't have to use a dragon type move. He has a great special fighting move called Aura sphere, and he also has Earth power.

Azelf is different from the others because it can actually fight.

Pointless is not always bad. The shining leaves in HG/SS are pointless, but some people actually like that for the side quest. The pokedar is pointless(to the plot and many other things), but it is used for finding foreign pokemon. Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos are all pointless, but they are still used, as well as mewtwo.

Whether Shaymin looks legendary or not is really up to you. Mew doesn't look legendary either, since most legendaries are supposed to be fierce creatures of battle, not adorable house pets.

Just because people claim it to be a god pokemon, and treat it as one, doesn't mean that it is a god pokemon. This sounds like Ad populous, where just because a lot of people believe in it, it must be true. Those people are clearly idiots (or just didn't read the fine print), but then again, whenever there is a myth in a game, it absolutely MUST be true.

No, the dull Johto and Kanto fail. Please tell me when either of them get a desert, underwater areas, a snowy place, or even a volcano.
    It is either water, grass, or mountain in the whole region, excluding the pointless cycling road.
    Hopefully that should end my wall of text.
    I can't see how Kanto isn't creative, it was the first region. The creation of the whole Pokemon concept itself.

If it's a side quest, it isn't pointless, is it?

Fair play. You're right, I don't decide what's legendary and what's not. I guess that's the reason for this thread in the first place.

My apologies, then. If people say things enough times, it becomes believable. The whole "Arceus is God" is a recurring theme on this forum.

A region does not need a volcano or snowy place to be awesome. Let alone underwater routes.

I could have made this post longer than it is, but I haven't bothered.

The arguing stops here. This thread is to discuss the legendaries of Sinnoh, not whether or not one region is more fail than the other.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I've got nothing against all the legendaries in the game. I enjoy being able to go on side-quests and collect them. Like others though, I only get them for pure completion. I hardly ever use any of them unless I have a soft side for it.

I really don't think it's necessary to get so annoyed with the number of legendaries though. Most are purely for storyline purposes. Legendaries are usually associated with a story, and the more stories the better. In my eyes at least.

AlphaMightyena

A Mightyena Fapper
    Years
    I Relly am sick of this.

ISN'T EVERYTHING FAIL, MAN FIRST IT WAS THE FOURTH GEN, NOW PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO TALK BADLY ABOUT KANTO AND JOHTO, PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO CALL POKEMON UGLY, AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH A FLAMEING MONKEY? CHIMCHAR LOOKS PRETTY COOL, AND IT LEARNS SOME GOOD MOVES TOO, SEROUSLY IF YOU THINK THE GENERATIONS ARE FAIL, THEN WHY ARE YOU PLAYING THE GAMES FOR? PLEASE DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CALLING THE NEXT GENERATION FAIL, BECOUSE THAT GENERATION WILL ONLY COTAIN MORE LEGENDARIES, MORE "UGLY" POKEMON AND SO FORTH.
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS SOPPOSED TO BE A FAN SITE ABOUT POKEMON, BUT SEEING THAT ALMOST EVERY GENERATION IS "FAIL" TO SOME PEOPLE, I COULD BE JUST WRONG.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    I honestly just can't keep up. I've been playing Pearl recently, and I've lost track of how many there are, what there names are, and how they're supposed to be beneficial in the first place. I thought it my be interesting to discuss the legendries amongst ourselves. Here's my analysis.

Dialga
    Okay, we'll start on a good note, Dialga is one of the few ones I actually like. Looks cool, and generally is cool. I actually found it quite a challenge to catch. Not much else to say here. But why a Dragon type? It looks nothing like a Dragon.

Palkia
    Again, did this Pokemon really have to be a Dragon type? Infact, what's the sudden increase in Legendry Dragon type Pokemon all about? And Palkia has an unbelievable disadvantage to Dialga, similar to Kyogre/Groudon. I seriously dislike this aspect.

Mirage Pokemon
    I'll sum these guys up in one. Legendry trio that are all Psychic types = EPIC FAIL.

Giratina
    Do we really need two different formes? Just makes the whole concept that much more complicated. Before I got Platinum I was extremely confused as to what forme I'm getting, what difference it makes, whether or not I can get both etc etc. It's too much.

Cresselia
    Pointless, not to mention how many pure Psychic Pokemon there are that aren't Legendary.

Darkrai
    Again, pointless. Want a good dark type? Run Tyranitar.

Manaphy and Phione
    Is there actually a difference? And legendary Pokemon can breed now? Fail.

Regigigas
    Relevant, I'll give it that. Stupid requirment to gain access to it though. What if you don't have Ruby/Sapphire?

Shaymin
    What's so legendary about this? It looks as normal as any other Non-Legendary. It just doesn't look like one at all

Arceus
    Completely ruins the sense in Legendary Pokemon. This Pokemon is a so called "God" yet you can catch it in a plastic ball? Just no...

Heatran
    Pathetic excuse for a Pokemon. Probably my most hated of all Pokemon. Fire/Steel?? Seriously? It looks like a deformed evolution of Marowak, for christs sake! And it can be Male/Female? Yet, again, ruining the concept of Legendaries.

Anyway, what's your take on the 8,000,000 legendaries?

I agree with EVERYTHING you said 99%. The only think I disagree with is that Palkia actually DOES look like a dragon, Dialga is a poor excuse for one though.
    P.S. - Anyone who uses legendaries in their main party is an A Class Nub

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    I Relly am sick of this.

ISN'T EVERYTHING FAIL, MAN FIRST IT WAS THE FOURTH GEN, NOW PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO TALK BADLY ABOUT KANTO AND JOHTO, PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO CALL POKEMON UGLY, AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH A FLAMEING MONKEY? CHIMCHAR LOOKS PRETTY COOL, AND IT LEARNS SOME GOOD MOVES TOO, SEROUSLY IF YOU THINK THE GENERATIONS ARE FAIL, THEN WHY ARE YOU PLAYING THE GAMES FOR? PLEASE DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CALLING THE NEXT GENERATION FAIL, BECOUSE THAT GENERATION WILL ONLY COTAIN MORE LEGENDARIES, MORE "UGLY" POKEMON AND SO FORTH.
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS SOPPOSED TO BE A FAN SITE ABOUT POKEMON, BUT SEEING THAT ALMOST EVERY GENERATION IS "FAIL" TO SOME PEOPLE, I COULD BE JUST WRONG.

that really wasn't all necessary, and the same goes for the caps. its a personal opinion and its open to discussion. listen, people are always going to have a say about a game, even as something to popular as pokemon. and really, you're not understanding the whole point of the thread either.

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
    Years
    I don't mind the legendaries, it gives a grueling side quest x_x

But well, no need to rant about Sinnoh. I mean Kanto wasn't all that fun, horrible graphics, and ugly legendaries, the only one I've seen been used from there is Zapdos (For Competetive Battles ) (Uber and Nonuber)

And I thought Hoenn was fun though ~

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    I have to agree with you on the fact that if there's a legendary pokemon (Note the lack of é) that does not deserve to be legendary, it's Heatran. It's back-story is practically a copy-paste of Groudon's, it looks like a molten dukie with corn, it has next to no relevance in the main story (at least Shamin helped a town), and it's a pain to catch (I waste my Masterball on it why?)

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
    I'm not a fan of any legendary pokemon, not even the gen I,
    So my opinion is kinda useless, but i will give it anyway i think out of all of them the only good one is Darkrai and i dont really even like him that much that is just my favorite one.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I only like legendaries up to g/s okay Kyogre is also cool but apart from that the legendaries got worse and nowadays they really look bad. D/P had the fugliest Boxart pokemon ever really .

DeeJayFusion

My ROFLcopter goes Soi
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2010
    I don't see the reasons for getting annoyed at Legendaries. I've only actually seen that Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Diagla and Palkia, and the Psychic Three are actually Legendaries. They have a part in the games story and a role in how the game develops. At least in my humble opinion all the others that exist, I can't name them all and I won't bother, aren't really legendaries. There's just one per game. If we define all Pokemon who you get once through a special side quest "Legendary" that means we need to consider Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimichar, AND Piplup legendary. Because we can only get one per game and they're accessible through a special event. I think that we throw around the word Legendary FAR to easily. There are SO many Pokemon that we can throw into the fire as being a legnedary by the fact that it's "special." Hell, Evee is special, and we don't consider it AND it's evolved forms legendary. I don't feel like going into the difference between event pokemon and legendaries, as It's not something really important.
    I may just define lengendaries different, but at the moment, I'm fine with how many legnedaries there are.

Look at it by the way I defined it:

15 JRPG's and 16 Legendaries. Actually, I think Game Freak did pretty well.

PS, Just my opinion. :D

Back