• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The age-old question

Nanulak

A ghost in the snow
Days
  • Now, it's time for me to introduce the age-old question once more, now that LZA is out. The question is: Are Primals Megas? Now, this is quite a question. Primals are different from Megas, yes, but by that logic Mega Rayquaza isn't a Mega, as the only way it differs is the method of reverting to said form. So, Mega Evolutions have a few things in common: around 100 new base stats, are only unlockable via the power of friendship, only usable in battle, and requires both a Key Stone and the corresponding Mega Stone. A lot of Mega Evolutions go through a lot of pain or sorrow in their processes, too. However, Primal Pokémon don't require friendship and don't need a Key Stone and corresponding Mega Stone but the corresponding Orb, and they don't go through any painful processes. Another thing, as long as they're holding their corresponding Orb, they revert to their Primal forms upon entering battle, instead of what Megas do and you have to select Mega Evolving. You can also have multiple Primal Pokémon in a battle, unlike Megas. While we're on this, we'll ask if Mega Rayquaza is even a Mega as well. Similarly, it doesnt require a Mega Stone, but requires to use Dragon Ascent. It also doesn't have any painful processes, nor is only usable in battle
    So, here's the question: are Primals and Mega Rayquaza Megas?

I'd vote yes. They still share similarities, such as specific processes being used and around 100 new base stats. They are awfully similar, so I'd vote yes

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • I'd say there megas, just under a different name and method of transformation. instead of friendship, my guess they get it from primal energy as the name implies.

Years
  • I mean, look. They're thematically different, but mechanically the same.
    A visual change, a boost of 100 to their base stat total, and perhaps a new/different ability.

The only difference is, Primal Reversion is not blocked by the "One Mega Evolution per battle" rule, and it also triggers as soon as the Pokemon enters the field. In that sense it's thematically more powerful than Mega Evolution.

Mega Rayquaza is absolutely a Mega, the only different is its Mega Stone takes the form of a signature move it needs to have. Its transformation is still achieved through the same means as Mega Evolution, it's just got a legendary spin to it (phrasing it as a "fervent wish").

Theres always going to be sticklers who say Primal Reversion is different, in which case.. go ahead, be a stickler for the two Pokemon to which it applies. But ultimately it's all the same, with a few small tweaks.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Leans towards them all being megas, more or less. Presumes the whole thing being a product of meteorites that fell. Indicated very Mega-like qualities to the meteorites in ORAS. (Resembled a Key Stone.) Animated the transformations largely the same way too.

Years
  • Primals are Megas, but just not called Megas imo
    Afaik the only real difference is that Primals transform automatically... which is a negligible difference imo.

Years
  • They're pretty much the same imo. Only a bit different, to the point it's quite irrelevant. I'd say it's almost the same of Gigantamax and Dynamax.

Back