• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [Summer or Winter Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    I like Kelvin the most, but Celsius is probably the simplest to use in a regular, casual life.
    And I guess Fahrenheit works just as well for those used to it.

But once again, Kelvin is probably the most scientifically "correct", and us Celsius users (that's right, it's a we and them situation now :D ) don't really have much problem translating it, as long as we remember to simply add 273,15° to every number.

Cid

Years
    Mostly agreeing with Alley Cat. I find the numbers of Kelvin and Fahrenheit too high. ^^;
    I prefer seeing weather temperatures (which is probably the most usual thing that I apply temperature to) within two digits rather than three. xD;

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    F = 1.8C + 32
    C = (F - 32)/1.8

It's really not that hard to remember. I tend to use Fahrenheit by default, though I don't really have a problem with Celsius.

It's kind of hard to make a conversion on the spot though. That's an advantage of Kelvin-Celsius, you just need to add/substract a constant number and there you go.

Cid

Years
    So if Kelvin is based on Celsius, is there any particular reason for it's usage? [/toolazytoGoogleit]

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    Precisely. And Scientists probably view it as scientifically "correct", by measuring the amount of heat from actual absence of it and up instead of the freezing point of some random thing like water.

It's like... Counting time from the actual start of time-space, and not from the (incorrectly estimated) birth of Jesus.

Asrossk

The Incompetent
    Years
    Ramen? Never had it and I can't even imagine what it is from its name. I need to broaden my food horizons a lot.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Ramen also has a stigma of cheapness attached to it in America.

I've never had any non-instant ramen. But I've cooked it the long way and added a few things to it before.

Years
    Precisely. And Scientists probably view it as scientifically "correct", by measuring the amount of heat from actual absence of it and up instead of the freezing point of some random thing like water.

Yup, because water is so random that it only covers two thirds of the planet's surface, and is the foundation of life on Earth. XD

Kelvin is used by scientists more I think just to avoid working with negative values (negative heat makes less sense from a physics perspective).

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    The only time I've ever had proper ramen was in the Philippines.
    Most of the time, it's just instant ramen.

Anyone here ever ridden a camel or an elephant before?

Years

Yup, because water is so random that it only covers two thirds of the planet's surface, and is the foundation of life on Earth. XD

Kelvin is used by scientists more I think just to avoid working with negative values (negative heat makes less sense from a physics perspective).
    That, and water freezes/boils at slightly different temperatures based on pressure.

And I've ridden an elephant at one of those animal theme parks. Can't remember the name. It was a long time ago. I remember I wanted to ride the dolphins instead.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Is there anyone that eats instant ramen just because they like it? Haha. 'Cuz I do.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    You should definitely start eating it again! Also, try putting some hotsauce in it(Tapatio es my favorita) and that just makes it like a thousand times better. Unless you don't like hot sauce. But I add salt and pepper too. Maybe crush up a few saltines and throw those in there. Makes for a more varied soup.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back