• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Dowsing Machine!

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
  • The Dowsing Machine has definitely improved in Black and White, than it has in previous games. I found it annoying how, in Gen IV, you had to go tap around on your Poketch, or your bottom screen, to try and find hidden items, when you don't even know where the items are, or where you should go to start dowsing. The new dowsing machine is very simple and you don't need to walk one step, tap, then repeat. Now, you just select your Dowsing Machine, and it shows up on the bottom screen. Now what? Now, you just run around. That's right, run around. With your Dowsing Machine on, you can just run around, and if an item is detected, it can tell you which direction to go. Then just take some steps in that direction, and if you step on your item, it'll tell you, and you can just move a step back, and press A. Simple as that.Without even having to tap.
    What are your thoughts on the improved Dowsing Machine?

Last edited:

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • while i havent used it yet it sounds super nice. but i kinda liked tapping the screen in the d/p/pt games

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Wow, really..?
    That's astounding, I haven't even bothered to use the thingymajig yet!! :D
    I might just whip it out and run across the whole entire map to see what I can find!
    Thanks for the tip! <3

Years
  • I really like it. I just find it sort of an annoyance when I want to save or change my party around (since I often switch it so the levels are in order in my party, and I'm an obsessive saver) because you need to close it then open it back up. Then again, it isn't that big of a problem. It certainly has improved.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • while i havent used it yet it sounds super nice. but i kinda liked tapping the screen in the d/p/pt games

Well, the main reason I don't like the tapping is that you wouldn't know where there are hidden items, so you wouldn't know where to start tapping.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • Well, the main reason I don't like the tapping is that you wouldn't know where there are hidden items, so you wouldn't know where to start tapping.

ya i know but i think its kinda fun to just randomly turn on the dowsing machine for no reason and see what you find.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Whew! The Dowsing Machine this time around is much more easier to use. Register it, and it's a piece of cake to call it up! I love to leave it on whenever possible. (Don't forget to register Bag > Medicine so that you don't need to close the Dowsing Machine when you need to heal using items.)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I love the Dowsing Machine this generation. I have it on the bottom screen all the time. It's a better use for the bottom screen than the C-Gear, which I've only used once. The only PITA thing about it is that it closes out every time I open the menu, which happens whenever I need to do anything.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I love the new dowsing machine. I keep it out all the time and it's the first thing on my shortcut menu (even before the bike)! :'D I think it's awesome not to have to tap the screen every few steps like I did in DPPt.

Years
  • Ever since i got it, ive been using it on every corner of the map. Ive got it registered, so its easy to pull it out everywhere :D
    I get mad if i go someplace and forget to check it actually ahahha

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I find it much easier to use now that I can use it with the bicycle as well. I also like how you don't have to jab the touchscreen to find things.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I have it in the select menu. It's always on. It's a huge improvement. I love it.

Aimseed

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2011
    I love the new dowsing machine, I pretty much gave up with the old one, it was too much effort to keep clicking, and I forgot ;D

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I love the Dowsing Machine :D I never travel without it out and it is very useful, and I love how you don't have to constantly tap..

Years
  • I used it all the way through and it's a massive improvement.

It should have been this way all along, having to tap randomly on the screen throughout the game was annoying, so it's good that you can leave it up on the bottom screen permenantly.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I've not used the Dowsing Machine yet. :x Usually in other games I rush around to find hidden items, but this time I just don't want to, and I'd rather explore and find visible items instead. XD; I'll probably use the Dowsing Machine if I get bored of trading though, and as others said, I'll probably have it on register, cause I usually have itemfinders on register.

Years
  • The Dowsing Machine is awesome in Black and White. It is much better than it was in the past. I like how all you need to do is walk with it on.

Years
  • I really like it. I just find it sort of an annoyance when I want to save or change my party around (since I often switch it so the levels are in order in my party, and I'm an obsessive saver) because you need to close it then open it back up. Then again, it isn't that big of a problem. It certainly has improved.
    Yes, I feel the same way. It would have been a lot more convenient if we were able to assign key items to either of the shoulder buttons. It would be so awesome to have the Dowsing Machine on L and the Bicycle on R. Pressing the Y button to have to turn it on every time you need to change the order of your party or access a certain section of your bag is just tedious.

As for the Dowsing Machine itself, I was confused as to how it worked when I first got it but that confusion was soon quashed the moment it detected an item nearby. It's a much better improvement although I have to admit, Generation IV's Dowsing Machine was really innovative as well; I rather enjoyed swiping my stylus across it in circular motions everytime I entered a cave. It was a lot more soothing to do that after using a Repel, obviously.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I liked gen IV way better :( It was so much more accurate and faster imo. The radar system really worked for me. This one is too general, just an arrow pointing. It would be cool if there were more items on the ground this time round btw.

Years
  • I liked gen IV way better :( It was so much more accurate and faster imo. The radar system really worked for me. This one is too general, just an arrow pointing. It would be cool if there were more items on the ground this time round btw.
    I agree that Generation IV's Dowsing Machine is much more precise... but faster..? No way! With the new Dowsing Machine all you have to do is run in the general direction of the hidden item until you reach it. Generation IV's Dowsing Machine required that you tap or even hold the stylus down on the radar to locate the item and even then the colour distinction for the item itself takes a while to distinguish, if only a few seconds. V's is a lot smoother as far as treasure-hunting goes.

Back