• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Earth and the Sea ~ Hoenn Club

Years
Yay Hoenn club :3

Username: AoiFushigisou
3 partner pokémon: Grovyle, Solrock and Latias

- What makes you love Hoenn?
There are lot of reasons, why I love this region. Probably, it´s because of pokémon emerald was my first game which i´ve played.
So the reasons are: music (for exemple from regi´s cave, abandoned ship and meteor falls), majority of my favourite pokémon come from Hoenn region, storyline and Daigo Tsuwabuki a.k.a. Steven Stone :D

- What is your favorite Gen III Pokémon and why?
This is hard question, since a huge amount of pokémons come from Hoenn. But if I have to pick only one, I´ll choose Grovyle.

- What starter Pokémon did you pick on your first playthough?
Thanks to anime series, I fell in love with grass type pokémon, so I chose Treecko.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Also, I had a beast team later consisting of Sceptile, Masquerain, Absol, Aggron, Camerupt and Milotic

Currently doing a nuzlocke of Emerald
Sounds like a pretty standard team for the third generation :D Aggron has always been a favourite of mine, but heck if it doesn't take long to get it fully evolved. That's always been a reason that I'm not always super committed to getting one, simply because I'll have to endure Aron and Lairon for so long. Not that they're bad Pokemon though, I just always strive to reach the final evolution as quickly as possible, and that line just levels up extremely slow :s

I'm a bit interested in the Masquerain pick though. I've always found it to be one of the less popular Pokemon of Hoenn, and I've never really used it nor seen anyone use it, so I'd love to know why you picked it and how good it actually is :D

Oooh Nuzlocke :o I don't think I've ever managed to complete one. I've either stopped midways through or lost haha. But yeah, how far are you, and what is your team?

uh, in the members list, I think you got my name wrong or did my team of sceptile, latios, and milotic just had a duplicate :P

Username:Yoyocharizard
partner pokemon:Blaziken, Flygon, Milotic
Which starter did you pick on your first playthough?
I choose: torchic because i always love fire type pokemon and torchic is cute and it is the first pokemon i got Lvl 100 without rare candies
Hey there! Welcome to the club. I like your picks for your partner Pokemon, especially Flygon! I've always really liked the design and concept for it, but unfortunately it usually gets outshined by Salamence as for the dragon-esque Pokemon of the region. Any particular reason you like it that much, or is it just a case of having used it enough for it to become one of your favourites? :D

Username: ,only
3 Partner Pokémon: Sceptile, Lunatone, Gardevoir

Heey, welcome to the club! I definitely like your Gardevoir pick. I often find myself adding one to the team, simply because I always enjoy having a Psychic Pokemon on my team, and Gardevoir is one of the easier ones to obtain, not to mention pretty strong :D I'd love to hear more about the Lunatone pick though. It's another one of the Pokemon I've always seen to be pretty obscure, and I don't know if it's just me tunnel-visioning on specific Pokemon being the only viable ones to have on your team, but Lunatone and Solrock have both been ones that I've just rarely seen people use or mention.

-What element of the third generation's story or features best impressed you? What makes you love Hoenn?[/I]
The reason I love Hoenn so much is because I'm a sentimental dork and Sapphire was my first version, but looking back I realize that it was actually a very good game. I think it's the pokemon themselves that impress me; their concepts and abilities are still creative without being random. From gen 3 on, it seemed to get harder and harder for them to create new pokemon without copying old ones; they also kept trying to appeal to younger audiences. I can't blame them, it must be a tough job, and they've done incredibly well with keeping the franchise going; however, gen 3 pokemon hold that sort of... pure feeling to them? Not, 'oh no, we need to come up with ideas!' just 'hey, I have an idea here.'

Sounds a lot like how I feel about the games, except I didn't really like them too much when I first played it. I do agree that the generation 1-3 Pokemon did have a certain feel to them, which I just feel hasn't been present in the later generations. A lot of people did claim the third generation to be where the good Pokemon designs and concepts started to end though, so I don't think it's everyone who feels that way. In any case, I'm definitely with you that the third generation Pokemon did feel pretty creative :D

Username: Mr_Nelsy
3 Partner Pokémon: Camerupt, Carvanha, Claydol
- What do you think of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire? Do you think its better than the original games? I think ORAS was a great idea as Gen III was my favourite gen by far. I much prefered the orignals though as back then Pokemon was a more simplistic game, it was harder to complete and RSE was like a revolution in Pokemon introducing Abilities and elaborating more on breeding. ORAS however is again massive, although I just see it as a recycled XY put into another region. It's nice they introduced more Megas but the format of the two games is very similar. The storyline of Pokemon could be made so much longer and harder and more interesting! My favourite thing about ORAS has got to be the way they threw the Delta episode in the end which was pretty cool. If only they did more of that throughout the whole game! As in for each legendary or gym make it more of a challenge ect..

Hey there, welcome to the club! :)

You bring up some good points here, that I honestly didn't really think of. I really liked ORAS and how they expanded on the story, and as with you, the Delta episode was probably my favourite part of the game, just because I was hoping for some good post-game content. Unfortunately that was more or less the only post-game content that was added. I was really hoping for cool new ways to catch legendary Pokemon, and ended up being really disappointed that it was just finding portals around the world. It definitely felt kinda lazy to me.

But yeah, like I said, I really enjoyed ORAS, but I haven't really found myself playing through it again, whereas I've played through the originals just about twice since then, and I think it has a lot to do with the games just being simpler. I think that made them so much more fun to play through again, whereas I find that games like ORAS are more fun to play through the first time around.[/quote]

Hoenn was the first region where I actually fell in love with the game. Kanto and Johto were Ok but in my eyes Pokemon wouldn't be where it is today with the turn Hoenn gave it gameplay wise. I also like Hoenn because it's probably the most cheery region and brightly coloured giving it a postive look rather than Red which maybe a poor example as it is GEN I but it's all I could think of at this moment of time.

I can't say I'm quite with you there, but that's kinda the cool thing about Pokemon. There's so many different things within them that appeal to different people, be it certain Pokemon or certain games. Personally, the second generation games were the ones that made me fall in love with the franchise, whereas the third generation left a rather bad impression on me the first time around, but I think that was because it brought forth changes to the Pokemon formula that I didn't come to enjoy as much until I got older. But I still enjoy both. The simplicity of the Johto games, that are more about the whole 'catch 'em all and become the best' kind of thing, with a lack of story, as well as the Hoenn games and onwards, where there was a much heavier emphasis on the story. That's also why the remakes are really good, because it updates the games without really changing how you experience them (with the exception of ORAS).

I chose Treecko! The reason I chose this Woodland Gecko was because I'd always been dissapointed with the grass types in GSC and RBY and I wasn't as let down with Treecko however everyone knows the Mudkip was OP gen III ;-)

I think the Grass types have consequently been the least favourite starters across most regions haha. I do agree the Treecko was a vast improvement over Chikorita, but it still lacks quite a bit behind the other two in popularity D: And to be fair to Chikorita, being a Grass starter in a region where the first two gyms counter you, along with two more gyms you definitely aren't gonna fare well in, and not being super effective against any of the gym types in the region, the odds aren't exactly in your favour haha. I don't think it was ever as bad as people made it out to be, it just didn't really have much of a chance to prove itself :(

Yay Hoenn club :3

Username: AoiFushigisou
3 partner pokémon: Grovyle, Solrock and Latias

There are lot of reasons, why I love this region. Probably, it´s because of pokémon emerald was my first game which i´ve played.
So the reasons are: music (for exemple from regi´s cave, abandoned ship and meteor falls), majority of my favourite pokémon come from Hoenn region, storyline and Daigo Tsuwabuki a.k.a. Steven Stone :D
Heyo, welcome to the club! Looks like we have members with both Solrock and Lunatone as their partners now, so maybe they aren't as unpopular as I think :o I'm certain that Blade will like your Latias though ;)

I definitely agree with you on the music. Hoenn probably had some of my favourite music of all time. Trumpets for the win! :D I honestly think it might have been a saving grace for some of the water routes, because that might be some of the most memorable music in all of the Pokemon games for me. So yeah, surprised no one else has brought that up D:

Thanks to anime series, I fell in love with grass type pokémon, so I chose Treecko.
Ooh, I always loved the Treecko from the anime. I liked how it had that super chill but always ready to help nature to it. It was definitely one of my favourite of Ash's Pokemon during the Hoenn region, and I was honestly kinda sad when it evolved because I felt like it kinda lost a bit of the edge that Treecko had to it. Any specific reasons it made you like Treecko so much? :o

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 3, 2015
Heey, welcome to the club! I definitely like your Gardevoir pick. I often find myself adding one to the team, simply because I always enjoy having a Psychic Pokemon on my team, and Gardevoir is one of the easier ones to obtain, not to mention pretty strong :D I'd love to hear more about the Lunatone pick though. It's another one of the Pokemon I've always seen to be pretty obscure, and I don't know if it's just me tunnel-visioning on specific Pokemon being the only viable ones to have on your team, but Lunatone and Solrock have both been ones that I've just rarely seen people use or mention.

Well, seven-year-old me got one because they liked the design, but that lunatone was one of the reasons I beat the elite four. It turns out that though it may appear like a useless addition because of it's low attack and defense stats, it can actually be very useful (at least for my battle style which is a quick hit, trap them, and finish it with my powerhouse). I usually have it at the front of my team, teaching it three psychic or fairy trap moves and one offensive is perfect for hitting the opponent and putting it out; then I switch it out with a stronger pokemon to finish it, or just let lunatone do it since it's high sp attack allows for some powerful offensive psychic moves. Of course, this strategy has drawbacks since relying on one pokemon for anything can be dangerous for your team as a whole, but it's worked well so far. Not to mention its growth rate is fast, so if you train it, you almost always have the level advantage.

milk!

oh yeah!
Years
Username: Milk!
3 Partner Pokémon: Skitty, Mawile, Masquerain
Answer a topic: What do you think of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire? Do you think its better than the original games?

I actually unfortunately do not really care for ORAS. :( I was extremely hyped when it was announced, but when I played it... I really didn't feel the magic that I felt with Sapphire. I guess it's just different for me now. Whenever I play Sapphire I feel so happy and at ease but I don't get that feeling with ORAS. It's really a shame.

Back