• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Earth and the Sea ~ Hoenn Club

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
What makes you love Hoenn?

The Pokémon there are very unique and the region is very diverse except if you ask IGN.

What starter Pokémon did you pick on your first playthough?

Torchic! At that point I always picked the Fire-type and I'm glad I did, as Blaziken is my second favorite Fire-type and starter.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
Years
- username: luo xiang
Partner pokemon: politoed, goodra, treeko

- What starter Pokémon did you pick on your first playthough? First playthrough of omega ruby I chose treeko! I chose him the first time ruby came out and I felt I owed it to my old pal to revive the tradition. You see my game was confiscated due to my parents thinking pokemon was evil. XD well its kinda like I'm attached to treeko. Very fond memories of him, he represents my child hood :) rebelious at that. His name was buddy!

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
What element of the third generation's story or features best impressed you?
The thing that impressed me most is the double story line. In Ruby, Team Magma is evil and Team Aqua is somewhat less evil trying to stop Team Magma, while in Sapphire it's the other way around.

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
Years
Might as well join...

Username: YALN
3 Partner Pokemon:
altaria.png
mudkip.png
torchic.png

What starter pokemon did you pick on your first playthrough?
I first had picked Torchic, and it was torture for me until it evolved and learned Double Kick. But after that, I transitioned between Mudkip and Torchic, but never Treeko. I don't know, but I never liked the grass pokemon.

Brivoo

If any mods are reading this, go ahead and delete
Years
Username: Brivoo, according to my profile.
3 Partner Pokémon: Swampert, Sableye and Kecleon

Which'a these 'ere wee bams do ya despise the least?

Sableye, as I've said in pretty much every single post I've made on this website so far. I really like the design, its typing and its movepool, not to mention it was basically my surrogate starter in my first playthrough of my favourite game, Emerald. The number of times it bailed me out from a difficult battle will, at some point in the future, become an expression in commonly spoken English to express a ludicrously high number, like so:

"Dude, you've bought almost as many churros as the number of times Sableye bailed Briv out!"

"Briv, stop trying to make that a thing. It's not going to be a thing. I didn't even buy any churros."

Diver Girl

Number #1 Misty Fan
Years
Lets keep this club going with a new question.

What do you think of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire? Do you think its better than the original games? Discuss.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Username: Peitharchia.
3 Partner Pokémon: Blaziken, Sableye, and Metagross.

Metagross is a wee bam I find myself despising the least. All-around, I feel it's a great Pokémon.

Its design is very top-notch; it appears to be rather tough, which it definitely is. Its color-scheme is very complementing, which is a combination of silver and blue, and its shiny version is even more so--white and gold. I'm a huge fan of both of its forms.

When it comes down to battling, as I had stated, Metagross is pretty tough; its defenses are enormous, allowing the Pokémon to withstand decent amount of hits. Alongside that, its Attack stat is also quite decent, which permits it to throw powerful hits without much trouble. I've used Metagross on my in-game teams plenty of times before, and it has never managed to be a disappointment.

Aside from that, few of my other Hoenn Pokémon are Blaziken, Swampert, Sableye, Jirachi, and Deoxys.

Zaphkiel

~ Butter Knife ~
Years
Username: Zaphkiel
3 Partner Pokémon: Crawdaunt, Metagross, Flygon

Arr... Gotta be Crawdaunt. I really like her design. She kinda reminds me of pirates. I really love history especially the Golden Age of Piracy that's pretty much why I despise her the least.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Username: DyingWillFlareon
Partners: Blaziken, Swellow, and Skitty
I wanted Gyarados to complete my fav Sapph trio but Gyara is Kanto :T

Topic: What was your first starter in your first playthrough?
Well, when I started my first Sapphire game, I was tempted to go with a cute Mudkip, but Torchic was even cooler to me. TORCHIIIIC!!

Answer to OrAs discussion(?); I loved OrAs way too mich to notice if it had things I disliked. Blind love lol. I love getting Latias early and flying around on her~

Years
Id like to join
Username: Targaryen13
3 Partner Pokémon: Latios, Sceptile, and Milotic
Answers to topics :

Discussion Topics
- What is your favorite Gen III Pokémon and why? I like Milotic, it was one of the hardest to obtain back in gen iii and its really cool to have obe

- What is your favorite gym leader and why? Water type gyms seem cool to me. Most learn ice moves to counter their grass weakness and all that.
- What starter Pokémon did you pick on your first playthough? Treecko, honestly I almost pick the grass type starter everytime XD Luckily, mega sceptile is a dragon which is my favorite type XD

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Username: AmourPearlShipper
3 Partner Pokémon: Exploud, Mega Sableye and Milotic.

What is your favorite Gen III Pokémon and why?

Milotic for me. I used one in BlazeBlack and she was probably my best partner. She's also pretty useful on Trick Room teams due to Competitive and high-powered attacks. Then I don't think I need to mention how beautiful she is.
There's also Exploud with it's SCARY DESIGN AND CHOICE SPECS-BOOSTED BOOMBURSTS, Sceptile with its really cool design and great typing when mega-evolved and Mega Sableye, more like Nokia 3310-wielding Sableye, which is a staple on stall teams and has a ridiculously annoying ability.

What is your favorite gym leader and why?
Brawly, because he looks cool.

Torchic.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Username: Peitharchia.
3 Partner Pokémon: Blaziken, Sableye, and Metagross.

Metagross is a wee bam I find myself despising the least. All-around, I feel it's a great Pokémon.

Its design is very top-notch; it appears to be rather tough, which it definitely is. Its color-scheme is very complementing, which is a combination of silver and blue, and its shiny version is even more so--white and gold. I'm a huge fan of both of its forms.

When it comes down to battling, as I had stated, Metagross is pretty tough; its defenses are enormous, allowing the Pokémon to withstand decent amount of hits. Alongside that, its Attack stat is also quite decent, which permits it to throw powerful hits without much trouble. I've used Metagross on my in-game teams plenty of times before, and it has never managed to be a disappointment.

Aside from that, few of my other Hoenn Pokémon are Blaziken, Swampert, Sableye, Jirachi, and Deoxys.
Welcome to the club, my dear! This is much too belated from me. D;

Metagross is one of my favorite Gen III Pokemon for its design and stats. Its shiny form is incredible and I love using the competitive shiny one I've bred. I prefer using the Agility+attacking set because it is bulky enough to take the first hit and allow the set up. I've also used a Metagross on my in-game team and even Mystery Dungeon Blue with great success.

Username: Zaphkiel
3 Partner Pokémon: Crawdaunt, Metagross, Flygon

Arr... Gotta be Crawdaunt. I really like her design. She kinda reminds me of pirates. I really love history especially the Golden Age of Piracy that's pretty much why I despise her the least.
Welcome! I've always been fond of Crawdaunt, but never had the opportunity to use one. There are so many other water Pokemon, I guess I never got around to using such a fun inspired Pokemon. ;-;

Username: DyingWillFlareon
Partners: Blaziken, Swellow, and Skitty
I wanted Gyarados to complete my fav Sapph trio but Gyara is Kanto :T

Topic: What was your first starter in your first playthrough?
Well, when I started my first Sapphire game, I was tempted to go with a cute Mudkip, but Torchic was even cooler to me. TORCHIIIIC!!

Answer to OrAs discussion(?); I loved OrAs way too mich to notice if it had things I disliked. Blind love lol. I love getting Latias early and flying around on her~
Welcome~ I really loved using Latias as early as we do in ORAS now. She is my favorite Pokemon and I loved flying on her. Now, if only Mega-Latias did not exist or was much better designed. >_<

Id like to join
Username: Targaryen13
3 Partner Pokémon: Latios, Sceptile, and Milotic
Answers to topics :

Discussion Topics
- What is your favorite Gen III Pokémon and why? I like Milotic, it was one of the hardest to obtain back in gen iii and its really cool to have obe

- What is your favorite gym leader and why? Water type gyms seem cool to me. Most learn ice moves to counter their grass weakness and all that.
- What starter Pokémon did you pick on your first playthough? Treecko, honestly I almost pick the grass type starter everytime XD Luckily, mega sceptile is a dragon which is my favorite type XD
Welcome! Milotic is popular for good reason - it has a unique way to obtain one and is breathtakingly beautiful. I picked Treecko too because I liked it the best, and the only other time I start a gen with a grass type would be Gen 6. I'm very happy with Mega-Sceptiles design and typing, which was much deserved,

Username: AmourPearlShipper
3 Partner Pokémon: Exploud, Mega Sableye and Milotic.

What is your favorite Gen III Pokémon and why?

Milotic for me. I used one in BlazeBlack and she was probably my best partner. She's also pretty useful on Trick Room teams due to Competitive and high-powered attacks. Then I don't think I need to mention how beautiful she is.
There's also Exploud with it's SCARY DESIGN AND CHOICE SPECS-BOOSTED BOOMBURSTS, Sceptile with its really cool design and great typing when mega-evolved and Mega Sableye, more like Nokia 3310-wielding Sableye, which is a staple on stall teams and has a ridiculously annoying ability.

Brawly, because he looks cool.

Torchic.
Welcome to the club! I didn't realize Exploud got Boomburst (as I thought it was exclusive to Noivern). It sounds absolutely destructive with the additional STAB on Exploud.

I have to go to sleep now; if only there were more hours in the day for Pokemon shenanigans. I wanted to leave the userbars here if anyone is interested in picking up one:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
About time I join this club, I've been meaning to ever since it was made D:

Username: Pidgey
3 Partner Pokémon: Mega Banette, Mudkip and Breloom

What makes you love Hoenn?

I made a pretty long post on my opinions of the third generation over in this thread, but that also includes the thing that I dislike, so I guess I'll summarize on what I like.

One of the main things that I liked about the third generation, was the progression it made in Pokemon games. Not only was it much more technically advanced than the previous generation, but it also changed the formula in a way that I feel like has really made the Pokemon games better overall; with the inclusion of an actual storyline. The previous two generations were basically just "beat gyms, defeat evil team who are evil, become champion, catch 'em all", and that's about all there was to it. No real depth to the characters you meet or the evil team or anything. They just wanted to steal Pokemon, and the rest were just there to battle you. The third generation really took it a lot further, especially in regards to the motives of the evil teams. They were no longer just your generic bad guys trying to steal Pokemon, they were people with intentions they actually thought to be good. And every encounter you had with them, every action they took, was leading up to something bigger. It's not like with Team Rocket, where they were basically just there in your way; like another rival battle. The battles against Magma and Aqua actually meant something for the story. And this is a trend that continued in all the generations to come. This made me enjoy playing through the games more, because there was an actual story to it. It actually made a difference whether you started over, or just kept playing after having beaten everything, because it actually made a difference. And to add onto that, I think the storyline of the third generation games was actually the best one yet. I know that might be an unpopular opinion, but I found the goals to be reasonable, and with the remakes, the characters actually became really likable as well. In general I think the third generation did a really solid job in that aspect.

Other than that, I really liked pretty much everything about the games bar the giant amount of surfing you had to do, with super expensive repels and constant overleveled Pelippers that knew supersonic and were impossible to run from. The Pokemon were cool and really well designed for the most part, despite how much flack they got from the fanbase. And it introduced a lot of Pokemon that are still super popular today. The gym leaders and E4 were a good balance of fun and difficult, and I feel like they showed more character than what we saw in the previous generations. Also your character finally got a dad :D It introduced a lot of new and interesting mechanics, and like I said, it overall improved on a lot of aspects of the Pokemon games.

I would have to go with Norman. First off; it was the first gym leader which you actually kinda got to know something about. And I just liked the idea of you training to eventually beat your dad, however I feel like it would've been much cooler if you fought him early on as a scripted loss, since that would just add on to it. As for him as a trainer, he's definitely one of the more challenging of the third generation games. Most of the fighting types you can obtain aren't very defensive, which makes it difficult to survive the attacks from most of his Pokemon, while they're still bulky enough to not be one shot. The saving grace is the fact that his Slaking can't do anything every second turn, which is usually where I manage to find an opening. But I still remember the first time, where I opted to just tanking everything with my Aron and slowly widdling them down. I had a bit of an easier time last time I fought him, when my Breloom was actually at a decent level, but it wasn't able to take him out on its own still :(

The only thing I don't really like about Norman is the gym. There isn't much of a puzzle to it, and I never really saw much difference between the trainers anyways, so it was just kind boring to reach him. At least it was a lot of free experience :p

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 6, 2015
Username: InfernalStorm
Partner Pokemon: Luxray, Mega-Blaziken and Xerneas

I picked Torchic on my first playthrough. I didn't really have the concept of building a team back then (I was eight), so I literally tore through all eight gyms with my pal Inferno (Blaziken's nickname) and sometimes my Linoone (HM Slave). I caught a few Pokemon on Victory Road, but by that time my Blaziken was level 85(through tons of level grinding) so I beat the Elite Four mainly with him.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Username: InfernalStorm
Partner Pokemon: Luxray, Mega-Blaziken and Xerneas

I picked Torchic on my first playthrough. I didn't really have the concept of building a team back then (I was eight), so I literally tore through all eight gyms with my pal Inferno (Blaziken's nickname) and sometimes my Linoone (HM Slave). I caught a few Pokemon on Victory Road, but by that time my Blaziken was level 85(through tons of level grinding) so I beat the Elite Four mainly with him.
Heyy, welcome to the club!

Haha, I'm definitely familiar with going through a game only with your starter, although my memories of that mostly come from the second generation, going through Johto with only my Typhlosion :D I always used to see the starter Pokemon as these insanely powerful Pokemon, so they were always my main priority haha. But yeah, by the third generation, I did start to value having more Pokemon on the team :p One of my friends did however go really far in his Sapphire version with just his Swampert, completely overleveling it because he got stuck at Mossdeep and just resorted power training it. I'm impressed that you managed to beat the E4 with only Blaziken though, since I've always considered the Hoenn E4 to be one of the harder ones, but I guess when it's a level 85 Blaziken, it's more or less unstoppable 8D

So are there any other memorable teams you've had playing through Hoenn?

Also, regarding your partner Pokemon though, I think they have to be third generation Pokemon :o

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jun 6, 2015
Heyy, welcome to the club!

Haha, I'm definitely familiar with going through a game only with your starter, although my memories of that mostly come from the second generation, going through Johto with only my Typhlosion :D I always used to see the starter Pokemon as these insanely powerful Pokemon, so they were always my main priority haha. But yeah, by the third generation, I did start to value having more Pokemon on the team :p One of my friends did however go really far in his Sapphire version with just his Swampert, completely overleveling it because he got stuck at Mossdeep and just resorted power training it. I'm impressed that you managed to beat the E4 with only Blaziken though, since I've always considered the Hoenn E4 to be one of the harder ones, but I guess when it's a level 85 Blaziken, it's more or less unstoppable 8D

So are there any other memorable teams you've had playing through Hoenn?

Also, regarding your partner Pokemon though, I think they have to be third generation Pokemon :o

Oh, sorry. Then, they'll be Mega-Blaziken, Linoone and Mightyena

Also, I had a beast team later consisting of Sceptile, Masquerain, Absol, Aggron, Camerupt and Milotic

Currently doing a nuzlocke of Emerald

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 11, 2015
Username:Yoyocharizard
partner pokemon:Blaziken, Flygon, Milotic
Which starter did you pick on your first playthough?
I choose: torchic because i always love fire type pokemon and torchic is cute and it is the first pokemon i got Lvl 100 without rare candies

Mr_Nelsy

Amatuer Breeder
Years
Username: Mr_Nelsy
3 Partner Pokémon: Camerupt, Carvanha, Claydol
- What do you think of Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire? Do you think its better than the original games? I think ORAS was a great idea as Gen III was my favourite gen by far. I much prefered the orignals though as back then Pokemon was a more simplistic game, it was harder to complete and RSE was like a revolution in Pokemon introducing Abilities and elaborating more on breeding. ORAS however is again massive, although I just see it as a recycled XY put into another region. It's nice they introduced more Megas but the format of the two games is very similar. The storyline of Pokemon could be made so much longer and harder and more interesting! My favourite thing about ORAS has got to be the way they threw the Delta episode in the end which was pretty cool. If only they did more of that throughout the whole game! As in for each legendary or gym make it more of a challenge ect..

- Which'a these 'ere wee bams do ya despise the least?
My passion has to be Camerupt. I've always loved Camerupt and always used him on my Gen III teams. Now that he has a Mega form which is OP in a trick room scenario is fantastic. I just like the design of him and figure that fire types are always the coolest pokemon .

- What makes you love Hoenn?
Hoenn was the first region where I actually fell in love with the game. Kanto and Johto were Ok but in my eyes Pokemon wouldn't be where it is today with the turn Hoenn gave it gameplay wise. I also like Hoenn because it's probably the most cheery region and brightly coloured giving it a postive look rather than Red which maybe a poor example as it is GEN I but it's all I could think of at this moment of time.

- What element of the third generation's story or features best impressed you? What makes you love Hoenn? In the original RSE the part where they actually introduced the legends into the storyline making them a staple to catch was probably my favourite part rather than like the previous gen's bar Crystal you have to go out of your way to obtain the legendaries. In ORAS like I've said previously it has to be the Delta episode.

- What is your favorite Gen III Pokémon and why? Camerupt. As explained above
- What is your favorite gym leader and why? Flannery! I like the idea that she's new, clueless and has fire types. It adds more realism to the game by throwing in characters who are new to their role and shows inexperience is a common thing.

- What starter Pokémon did you pick on your first playthough?
I chose Treecko! The reason I chose this Woodland Gecko was because I'd always been dissapointed with the grass types in GSC and RBY and I wasn't as let down with Treecko however everyone knows the Mudkip was OP gen III ;-)

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen May 3, 2015
Username: ,only
3 Partner Pokémon: Sceptile, Lunatone, Gardevoir

-What element of the third generation's story or features best impressed you? What makes you love Hoenn?
The reason I love Hoenn so much is because I'm a sentimental dork and Sapphire was my first version, but looking back I realize that it was actually a very good game. I think it's the pokemon themselves that impress me; their concepts and abilities are still creative without being random. From gen 3 on, it seemed to get harder and harder for them to create new pokemon without copying old ones; they also kept trying to appeal to younger audiences. I can't blame them, it must be a tough job, and they've done incredibly well with keeping the franchise going; however, gen 3 pokemon hold that sort of... pure feeling to them? Not, 'oh no, we need to come up with ideas!' just 'hey, I have an idea here.'

Back